ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:43 pm
Quote:
I begin to believe that this was a ludicrous civilian effort from start to finish,

Makes sense, I agree. I also suspect, though with reasoning drawn from too little data, the decision was made in co-ordination with civilians in the administration here.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:53 pm
blatham wrote:
Advocate wrote:
The soldier was referring to a particularly intense battle. To make something more of that is a cheap, anti-Israel shot.

Can you see it as an anti-militarism comment?

I think I interpreted his remark correctly. Maybe Revel can clear things up.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
Set, besides just disappearing, I can't think of anything Israel could have done to reach lasting alliances with the Palestinians. They have not given up the hope of destroying the state of Israel.

I assume that you will bring up the demand for a right of return. As you know, the Palestinians want millions to have this right, which would cause Israel to disappear.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:11 pm
It seems as though a number of you think that those Palestinian guys are neat people. Please read about the warm treatment they accorded the kidnapped Fox journalists. One doesn't read about such wonderful treatment of journalists and others by Israelis.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/fox-journalists-released-after-nearly/20060823090609990010
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
I begin to believe that this was a ludicrous civilian effort from start to finish,

Makes sense, I agree. I also suspect, though with reasoning drawn from too little data, the decision was made in co-ordination with civilians in the administration here.

I don't know that i'd go too far with that sort of thing--it may just have been that they thought they had an understanding which proved to be flawed. This is, remember, an administration which was sufficiently subtle that when they were pushing the rush to war, still had sense enough to send Cheney out to peddle a September 11th connection and to claim that we knew where the womd were--they played their cards very close to the cuff, and the Shrub uttered not a syllable which was not subject to plausible deniability. It is entirely possible that Olmert was taken in by calculated administration rabble-rousing, failing to understand that this is a constant technique of an administration which usually avoids taking decisions until the last moment, and only after having exhaustively "tested the waters."

I do think, though, that Olmert and Company pulled this out of their collective governmental ass without prior consultation with their own military, who don't appear to have displayed the professional expertise for which the IDF has in the past been justifiably famous.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 01:28 am
Advocate wrote:
It seems as though a number of you think that those Palestinian guys are neat people. Please read about the warm treatment they accorded the kidnapped Fox journalists. One doesn't read about such wonderful treatment of journalists and others by Israelis.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/fox-journalists-released-after-nearly/20060823090609990010

A number of people here think that the Holy Jihad Brigades are neat people? Who are these people here who think this?

Meanwhile, it is good to see that the two journalists, Steve Centanni and Olaf Wiig, haven't lost their senibilities due to their ordeal with this upstart extremist group. Centanni is quoted in the news article linked above saying, "I hope that this never scares a single journalist away from coming to Gaza to cover the story because the Palestinian people are very beautiful and kindhearted. The world needs to know more about them."

Said Wiig, "my biggest concern really is that as a result of what happened to us, foreign journalists will be discouraged from coming to tell the story and that would be a great tragedy for the people of Palestine. You guys need us on the streets, and you need people to be aware of the story."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:44 am
Advocate wrote:

Neat? Nothing like what that word implies. My natural affinities move immediately towards Israel in the same manner as they do towards any country or culture group which shares my (western) values. But what happens when such a nation/group themselves act contrary to those values? Merely because a nation/group is of the western tradition does not close the case on whether it is functioning either wisely or morally, ie Germany in 1935, or the US presently. Assassination, torture, racism, violation of international laws must gain our criticism. After WW2, there was a lot of thought and study directed towards understanding how it could have been that the citizens of a sophisticated, educated Western society such as Germany could have allowed such barbarism to have occured. Similar questions are being asked and will continue to be asked, quite properly, as to how so many americans now justify torture and permit their government to engage in it.

May I ask if you read the Nation piece I linked above?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:59 am
setanta said
Quote:
I don't know that i'd go too far with that sort of thing--it may just have been that they thought they had an understanding which proved to be flawed. This is, remember, an administration which was sufficiently subtle that when they were pushing the rush to war, still had sense enough to send Cheney out to peddle a September 11th connection and to claim that we knew where the womd were--they played their cards very close to the cuff, and the Shrub uttered not a syllable which was not subject to plausible deniability. It is entirely possible that Olmert was taken in by calculated administration rabble-rousing, failing to understand that this is a constant technique of an administration which usually avoids taking decisions until the last moment, and only after having exhaustively "tested the waters."

I do think, though, that Olmert and Company pulled this out of their collective governmental ass without prior consultation with their own military, who don't appear to have displayed the professional expertise for which the IDF has in the past been justifiably famous.

This from Seymour Hersch's piece in the recent New Yorker...
Quote:
The Bush Administration, however, was closely involved in the planning of Israel's retaliatory attacks. President Bush and Vice-President Dick Cheney were convinced, current and former intelligence and diplomatic officials told me, that a successful Israeli Air Force bombing campaign against Hezbollah's heavily fortified underground-missile and command-and-control complexes in Lebanon could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential American preƫmptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations, some of which are also buried deep underground.
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060821fa_fact

This seems completely credible to me. Likewise, the notion that Israel would not inititate such a consequential act without full and complete liason with the US military and civilian leadership.

Add in what we know about the administration's electoral strategies and history (recall, for example, DiIulio's statement that "everything is run by the political arm") and it then doesn't take a big leap to imagine that a partial answer to the "why did Israel do this NOW?" question could be perceived electoral consequences here through promoting the "terrorists are evil and out to destroy western civ and working at it every day", to attempt to move more of the Jewish vote (traditionally Dem) over to Republicans, and to redirect the media's and public's attention away from Iraq (and that certainly happened).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 05:39 am
A VERY good interview in Ha'aretz with Martin Indyk...
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/755414.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 05:55 am
Stuff like this ain't helping...

Quote:
Israeli Siege Leaves Gaza Isolated and Desperate

By Doug Struck
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, August 28, 2006; Page A01

GAZA CITY, Aug. 27 -- As the sun beat down on the city's central market, Khitam Shahleen, 37, glumly picked through a pile of cheap pencil sharpeners, searching for something -- anything -- she could afford to buy her two sons for the start of the new school year.

"We don't have money," Shahleen said, eyes downcast beneath her head scarf. Her husband, who works as a laborer in Israel, has been trapped inside the Gaza Strip by a blockade. "We are imprisoned here," she said.

The war in southern Lebanon has overshadowed Israel's second front, a military and economic siege of the Gaza Strip that is deepening the poverty and desperation in this dense area of 1.4 million people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700768.html
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:20 am
blatham wrote:
Advocate wrote:

...my (western) values. But what happens when such a nation/group themselves act contrary to those values? Merely because a nation/group is of the western tradition does not close the case on whether it is functioning either wisely or morally, ie Germany in 1935, or the US presently. Assassination, torture, racism, violation of international laws must gain our criticism. After WW2, there was a lot of thought and study directed towards understanding how it could have been that the citizens of a sophisticated, educated Western society such as Germany could have allowed such barbarism to have occured. Similar questions are being asked and will continue to be asked, quite properly, as to how so many americans now justify torture and permit their government to engage in it.

May I ask if you read the Nation piece I linked above?

I guess that whole trying to survive thing the Israelis do is in pretty bad taste. The most horrific atrocities by the Palestinians over the past few decades, directed against Israel and Jews in general, are, of course, excusable.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:35 am
Quote:
I guess that whole trying to survive thing the Israelis do is in pretty bad taste. The most horrific atrocities by the Palestinians over the past few decades, directed against Israel and Jews in general, are, of course, excusable.

No, nor is your response a matter of "bad taste", even if evidencing thoughtlessness, a lack of desire to get educated, and an over-riding inability to be other than simple.

You'll note (actually I suppose you probably won't notice) that the predominance of sources I've noted above are either from Israeli sources or from folks within the Jewish culture. None of them make the (frankly, idiotic) argument you suggest even while criticizing Israeli government policies.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:44 am
Hizbullah leader: we regret the two kidnappings that led to war with Israel

Quote:
Hizbullah last night admitted it would not have captured the two Israeli soldiers last month had it known a war would follow.

The leader of the militia said that talks were going on to return the two in exchange for Lebanese prisoners held by Israel. The Israeli government refused to confirm this, although officials have said privately that a prisoner exchange was probably the only way forward.

Hizbullah crossed into north Israel early on July 12 and captured Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev. Eight other Israeli soldiers were killed, and within hours Israel and Hizbullah were plunged into their most serious conflict. By the time of the ceasefire 34 days later, more than 1,100 people were dead in Lebanon and 157 in Israel, mostly soldiers.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:51 am
And most of the dead Israeli soldiers were killed in ground combat in Lebanon in an effort to spare civilian lives. But still there are those attempting to make Hezbollah look like better people than they are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And most of the dead Israeli soldiers were killed in ground combat in Lebanon in an effort to spare civilian lives. But still there are those attempting to make Hezbollah look like better people than they are.

Horsiepoop . . . people here who are disagreeing with you are simply saying that the Israelis are the exmplars of sweetness and light which you would have us believe. I defy you to find an example of anyone claiming that Hezbollah "look like better people than they are."

A useful method you employ though--entirely subjective judgment can be applied to terms like "better" in order for you to attempt to support this silly, nay, idiotic, contention.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Well, if thats the case they did a poor job of it.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:48 am
The cost of spreading democracy

Israeli Siege Leaves Gaza Isolated and Desperate
Quote:

The war in southern Lebanon has overshadowed Israel's second front, a military and economic siege of the Gaza Strip that is deepening the poverty and desperation in this dense area of 1.4 million people.

More than 200 Palestinians, at least 44 of them children, have been killed in the past 8 1/2 weeks. Three Israeli soldiers have been killed. Huge Israeli bulldozers and "pinpoint" missiles have razed at least 40 houses and dozens of other buildings, according to the army, leaving many families homeless.

Daily skirmishes regularly result in new casualties. The Israelis attack with tanks, F-16 jets and artillery. [Early Monday, an Israeli airstrike killed four members of the Hamas-led security force in the Gaza Strip, the Reuters news agency reported, citing medics and witnesses. An Israeli army spokeswoman confirmed the report, but said two of the men were apparently killed by gunfire from ground troops.]

The Palestinians launch an average of about six crude Qassam rockets a week into Israel, causing minimal damage, no fatalities and about a dozen injuries since June 28, an army spokesman said.

"Any Qassam fired toward Israel is one too many," said Maj. Tal Lev-Ram, a spokesman for the Israeli army's Southern Command. "Every act of terrorism against Israel will be dealt with severely from our side."

After Israel completed its unilateral withdrawal from Gaza last September, ending a 38-year presence, Palestinians expected an explosion of commerce and opportunity in this sandy strip, which is about twice the size of Washington with almost three times the population.

But after the election in January of a parliament dominated by Hamas, the radical Islamic movement that refuses to recognize Israel's right to exist, international donors led by the United States cut off aid to the Palestinian Authority. Israel stopped transferring the tax revenue it collects for the Palestinians, and the Palestinian Authority's monthly income dropped from $150 million to $20 million or less, according to the United Nations.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 12:40 pm
"After Israel completed its unilateral withdrawal from Gaza last September, ending a 38-year presence, Palestinians expected an explosion of commerce and opportunity in this sandy strip, which is about twice the size of Washington with almost three times the population.

But after the election in January of a parliament dominated by Hamas, the radical Islamic movement that refuses to recognize Israel's right to exist, international donors led by the United States cut off aid to the Palestinian Authority. Israel stopped transferring the tax revenue it collects for the Palestinians, and the Palestinian Authority's monthly income dropped from $150 million to $20 million or less, according to the United Nations."

The Israelies are terribly insecure. Rather than apologize for their past behavior in response to minor deadly incidents, they defend themselves with extreme ruthlessness when threatened or when encountering little more than than the casualty equivalent of traffic accidents. They actually believe that their lovely warm hearted and caring neighbors desire to exterminate them. Perhaps counseling will help them develop those more positive attitudes that could eventually lead them to switch to the Muslim religion. We should all be happy to observe that Israel's neighbors are continuing to display great compassion, caring, tolerance and patience for Israelies and their problems.

Shocked
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 12:46 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

No, nor is your response a matter of "bad taste", even if evidencing thoughtlessness, a lack of desire to get educated, and an over-riding inability to be other than simple.

You'll note (actually I suppose you probably won't notice) that the predominance of sources I've noted above are either from Israeli sources or from folks within the Jewish culture. None of them make the (frankly, idiotic) argument you suggest even while criticizing Israeli government policies.

Since:

1. The totality of your argument consists of describing my (irrelevant) personali qualities, and
2. At no point do you even attempt to engage myargument that any sins by the Israelis are minor compared to the endless string of atrocities committed by the Palestinians, then,

you lose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
You're hilarious Brandon, and so pathetically predictable. He described your position as idiotic, not you. But this is par for the course.

Do you have a trophy room in which you display your prizes for all the times "you win" here?

As has been said before, and can't be said too often, "winning" an internet argument is like participating in the special olympics. Even if you do "win," you're still retarded.
0 Replies