ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:48 am
set

You, me, Chomsky... buds.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:10 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
A miserable milestone was passed the other day. America's (and Britain's) disastrous war in Iraq has now lasted longer than the US involvement in the Second World War. Yes, this conflict has outlasted a war that ended with total victory over Nazi Germany. Hitler declared war on the US on 11 December 1941. Exactly 1,244 days later, on 7 May 1945, Germany surrendered. The US invaded Iraq on 19 March 2003, and this weekend it is 1,267 days later, with no end in sight.

Sticklers among you will have noted that the interval between the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Japanese surrender on 2 September, 1945 was 1,364 days. But even that record will tumble at the start of December.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article1222033.ece

Apparently the the difference between the war in Iraq and WW2 is lost on the author.

(It should be noted that we still have forces in both Germany and Japan today)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
McGentrix wrote:
(It should be noted that we still have forces in both Germany and Japan today)

It should be noted that the US-Forces are located in nearly 130 countries around the world.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
It should be noted we won the first war.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:35 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
It should be noted we won the first war.

I'm reminded that the US has not won a war since World War II.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:40 am
blatham wrote:
set

I don't take strong drink, and i rather doubt that Mr. Chomsky will drop by your house today. But set three large beers at a small table, sit down, and in your imagination offer wishes of good health to me and to Mr. Chomsky--then drink all three beers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:42 am
Israel did not succeed in destroying Hezbollah, nor stopping Hezbollah from launching rockets into Israel, nor did it secure the release of its personnel. So, i am reminded that as conservatives claim that Israel has "won," any contentions by conservatives about anyone winning or losing anything are meaningless.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
It appears a lot of Israeli troops didn't think they won.

I guess they're liberals. Laughing

Or traitors giving aid to the enemy. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Caught off guard
In a nation mythologized for decisive military victories over Arab foes, the stalemate after a 34-day war in Lebanon has surprised many.

The war was widely seen in Israel as a just response to a July 12 cross-border attack in which Hezbollah gunmen killed three Israeli soldiers and captured two. But the wartime solidarity crumbled after Israel agreed to pull its army from south Lebanon without crushing Hezbollah or rescuing the captured soldiers.

A total of 118 Israeli soldiers were killed in the fighting, and the army was often caught off guard by a well-trained guerrilla force backed by Iran and Syria that used sophisticated weapons and tactics. Soldiers, for instance, complained that Hezbollah fighters sometimes disguised themselves in Israeli uniforms.

Military experts and commentators have criticized the army for relying too heavily on air power and delaying the start of ground action for too long. They say the army underestimated Hezbollah, and that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert set an unrealistic goal by pledging to destroy the guerrilla group.

This week, Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz appointed a former army chief to investigate the military's handling of the war.

Some of the harshest criticism has come from reservists, who form the backbone of the army. Israeli men do three years of mandatory service beginning at age 18, but continue to do reserve duty several weeks a year into their 40s.

Israeli newspapers quoted disgruntled reservists as saying they had no provisions in Lebanon, were sent into battle with outdated or faulty equipment and insufficient supplies, and received little or no training.

"I personally haven't thrown a grenade in 15 years, and I thought I'd get a chance to do so before going north," an unidentified reservist in an elite infantry brigade was quoted as telling the Maariv daily.

Israel's largest paper, Yediot Ahronot, quoted one soldier as saying thirsty troops threw chlorine tablets into filthy water in sheep and cow troughs. Another said his unit took canteens from dead guerrillas.

"When you're thirsty and have to keep fighting, you don't think a lot, and there is no time to feel disgusted," the unidentified soldier was quoted as saying.

While such sentiments aren't shared by all soldiers, even some senior commanders acknowledge the army came up short in Lebanon.

When soldier Gil Ovadia returned home, his commander made no mention of victory in an address to their battalion. Instead, the commander told them the war was over, said they did a good job, and advised that they be prepared to come back soon and fight again.

"We'll be back in Lebanon in a few months, maybe years," Ovadia said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14410999/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:07 am
This is the first time ever that Israel has looked this badly in such a situation. It ought to tell them it's time to try a different tactic.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
Israel would love to negotiate peace arrangements with Lebanon and the Hamas government. However, those governments have taken the position that Israel's land is occupied territory. It is ridiculous to expect Israel to make concessions under these circumstances.

Arafat's government also failed to recognize Israel's right to exist until pretty late in the game. He then walked out of Camp David without notifying his people or government, or making counter proposals. He then declared his intafada.

But I am sure that these facts will somehow be twisted to show that Israel is the villain.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
Quote:
"We almost killed each other," he said. "We shot like blind people. ... We shot sheep and goats."

That might explain the high number of the civilian deaths.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
The soldier was referring to a particularly intense battle. To make something more of that is a cheap, anti-Israel shot.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:22 am
Quote:
Marshak said his unit was hindered by a lack of information, poor training and untested equipment. In one instance, Israeli troops occupying two houses inadvertently fired at each other because of poor communication between their commanders.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:46 am
Setanta wrote:
blatham wrote:
set

I don't take strong drink, and i rather doubt that Mr. Chomsky will drop by your house today. But set three large beers at a small table, sit down, and in your imagination offer wishes of good health to me and to Mr. Chomsky--then drink all three beers.

Damned good idea. I'm drinking your beer first.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
Advocate wrote:
The soldier was referring to a particularly intense battle. To make something more of that is a cheap, anti-Israel shot.

Can you see it as an anti-militarism comment?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:57 am
Given the ruinous policies of the Israeli governments over nearly sixty years, i see no reason to consider "anti-Israeli" as a particularly harsh indictment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:15 pm
Quote:
Hezbollah chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has said he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war.
"Had we known that the kidnapping of the soldiers would have led to this, we would definitely not have done it," he said in an interview on Lebanese TV.
Source

According to reports in other media - quoting "El Ahram" - the two soldiers might soon be set free (within two weeks): German intermediatries were negotiating the procedures.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
Given the ruinous policies of the Israeli governments over nearly sixty years, i see no reason to consider "anti-Israeli" as a particularly harsh indictment.

set

Nor I, given that it is understood as a critique of state policy in the same manner as criticism of many US national policies, present, past or both.

David Ben-Gurion as told to Nahum Goldmann, the president of the World Jewish Congress:
Quote:
If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country . . . We come from Israel, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that?
link

We had a couple, old friends, over for dinner two weeks ago. They are both jewish and we are not. This matter of Lebanon came up and the differences in opinion I had with the husband were minor, but with his wife, they were pretty major. Or in other words, my disagreements with his views were far less that the disagreements that existed between them.

I like advocate and tend to agree with him on most issues. On this one though, he's rather closer to the our female friend in the anecdote above.

I've tried to find as many Jewish voices as possible in reading commentary on this recent war. Ha'aretz has been remarkably rational and balanced. Also, The Nation has had some really good pieces by Jewish writers. Here's Eric Alterman in an interview on CNN...
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060828/alterman_larry_king
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
And here is a particularly good piece, in my view, by Norman Birnbaum...
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060814/is_israel_good_for_the_jews
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Hezbollah chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has said he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war.
"Had we known that the kidnapping of the soldiers would have led to this, we would definitely not have done it," he said in an interview on Lebanese TV.
Source

According to reports in other media - quoting "El Ahram" - the two soldiers might soon be set free (within two weeks): German intermediatries were negotiating the procedures.

This goes right to the heart of something i've been saying since i started my Israel/Lebanon thread, well before this thread was created--cross-border raids of this type have been carried out for years, without this sort of hysterical reaction by Israel. That makes the timing suspect, and what i suspect is that the Israeli government thought they could exploit an anti-Syrian and anti-Persian attitude in the United States which they badly misjudged.

Previously, i had assumed that the Israelis had simply implemented a set of contingency plans which the military of every nation maintains--however, the mounting evidence of appalling military incompetence in the execution of this operation leads me to conclude that the current Israeli administration caught their own military flat-footed with this one. I begin to believe that this was a ludicrous civilian effort from start to finish, like the balls-up invasion of Grenada by the Reagan Administration. The American military was capable of concluding the operation successfully despite the complete lack of preparation and the amateurish clowns in NSA who were attempting to carry out Reagan's propaganda stunt. However, the Israeli military was facing a far better prepared opponent, and they are not the invincible heroes so long portrayed in the United States. This was a totally f*cked-up operation from start to finish.
0 Replies