Democratic Party leadership statements of support for Israel

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:16 pm
Quote:
Democratic Party leadership statements of support for Israel

We need an inclusive third party that stands against war..

Dear ,

At a time when Israel again finds itself under attack from forces outside of its borders, Democrats and the National Jewish Democratic Council are standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Israel in support of its right to defend its borders and people from terrorist and militant attacks.

The following are excerpts from some of the many statements of support for Israel issued this week by Democratic leaders in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives:

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (CA) and House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (MD)(7/12/06):
"The House Democratic leadership strongly condemns the seizure of Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah terrorists operating from Lebanon... Countries with influence over Hezbollah, particularly Syria and Iran, must move quickly to bring about the return of the soldiers and the end of rocket attacks on Israeli civilians from Hezbollah positions in Lebanon. The Palestinian Authority, and countries with influence over Hamas, must take similar action in Gaza.

"Those who finance, direct, or otherwise support acts like these need to understand that they have produced an extremely dangerous situation and that they are responsible for the consequences. Israel has an inherent right to defend itself, and the United States supports our ally."

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (NV) (7/12/06):
"Today's attacks by Hezbollah in Israeli territory were disgraceful and unwarranted acts of violence by a terrorist organization. Hezbollah must release the captured Israeli soldiers immediately. Hezbollah must be dismantled, and all nations have an obligation to cease any and all assistance to this terrorist organization. Israel has a right to live in peace and security, and the United States will stand by our ally in this difficult time."

U.S. Representative Gary Ackerman (NY), Ranking Democrat of the House of Representatives International Relations Subcommittee on the Middle East and Central Asia (7/12/06):
"If the world is serious about peace in the Middle East, then Tehran and Damascus need to be held accountable for feeding, fostering, and occasionally unleashing, these rabid, blood-spattered killers. The money, weapons and political support Hezbollah and Hamas receive from Iran and Syria are not uncontrollable or natural phenomena and the international community must demand that they stop. Cross-border attacks on Israel should result in tough international sanctions on Syria and Iran, and the UN Security Council should immediately pursue this option...

"Israel has an absolute right to defend itself from this aggression and the Israeli Defense Forces has shown it knows how to do this."

U.S. Representative Alcee Hastings (FL), Co-Chair, House of Representatives Democratic Working Group on Israel (7/12/06):
"Hezbollah's actions against Israel are unconsciousable. Instead of working towards peace, Hezbollah has chosen to perpetuate the violence. Terrorist attacks such as these are cowardly and resolve nothing... Let us not be misled into believing these attacks arise from a single source. The terrorist organizations, Hezbollah and Hamas, are unquestionably sponsored and guided by the Iranian and Syrian governments... The Syrian and Iranian governments should be condemned along with the terrorist groups they harbor.

"Israel must have the right to defend herself. Like the United States and other sovereign nations, Israel is justified in reestablishing its deterrent posture."

U.S. Representative Gene Green (TX), Co-Chair, House of Representatives Democratic Working Group on Israel (7/13/06):
"Attempts by Hezbollah to open a second front after the kidnapping from Gaza are an attack on Israel's sovereignty. Hezbollah's actions require Israel to defend itself, and Israel's actions to take out terrorist camps along its borders to prevent this from happening again are warranted and justified.

"Israel has had to defend itself from terrorist organizations that have felt it shouldn't exist throughout its history, and must continue to do so following these killings and kidnappings to protect its people and free the soldiers taken by the terrorist group Hezbollah."

U.S. Representative Robert Wexler (FL), Ranking Democrat of the House of Representatives International Relations Subcommittee on Europe and Emerging Threats (7/12/06):
"I strongly condemn the horrific attack on Israel's northern border carried-out by Hezbollah terrorists based in Southern Lebanon. The murder and abduction of Israeli soldiers - in conjunction with the infiltration of Israeli military bases and rocket attacks on Northern Israel - are inexcusable acts of aggression that further destabilize the Middle East.

"These provocations stand in stark violation of international law, and I strongly support Israel's unequivocal right to self-defense."

source

Nancy Pelosi, $57,000 from pro-Israel PACs.
Steny Hoyer, $92,000 from pro-Israel PACs.
Harry Reid, $318,000 from pro-Israel PACs.
Alcee Hastings, $23,000 from pro-Israel PACs.
Robert Wexler, $11,000 from pro-Israel PACs.

Get the picture?

Do you really get it yet?

This sort of behavior is what got Charles the First into trouble.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,289 • Replies: 189
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:45 pm
I get it. These democrats get it. Seems as if you are one of the few who just don't get it. Hezbollah and Hamas violence against Israeli citizens will be met with escalating violence against them until they cease and desist. Seems reasonable to me. And here I never thought I would agree with Pelosi on anything.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:52 pm
freedom4free, Follow the money explains how most politicians vote, but the deeper question about Israel is our country's support of Israel that identifies itself as a "democracy," but is not.

I just finished reading "The Other Side of Israel" by Susan Nathan, a Jew. She lives with the Palestinian Arabs in Tamra, and knows first hand of how the Jews of Israel treats the Palestinians.

It's an eye-opening, insightful, story of the Jewish oppression of the Palestinians and Arabs in Israel. It's a shocker, because Jews are performing ethnic cleansing against the Palestinians - while the US supports them to achieve it. They have stolen most of the Palestinian lands, and they have no civil or legal rights. "Democracy?" I think not.

Read the book.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:53 pm
NEXT
So ..let's see now...you are only interested in posting inflammatory negative stories about American politics and Jews? Is that about it?

NEXT
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:02 pm
ragman, The book identified above by Susan Nathan is a sensitive protrayal of what is happening in Israel. I personally do not have any quarrels with you or Jews, but only express my opinion from Ms Nathan's reporting of conditions in today's Israel. If you can prove otherwise, please do so.

Just because I am Japanese, I did not support what Japan did before and during WWII. I still criticize Japan for its discriminatory practices against its minorities, but especially against the Koreans and Chinese citizens of Japan.

If I can be convinced those things no longer happen, I may change my opinion of them, but not until then.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:14 pm
not directed at you, C.I.
My comment was not directed at you, C.I.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:19 pm
Quote:
Hezbollah and Hamas violence against Israeli citizens will be met with escalating violence against them until they cease and desist. Seems reasonable to me.

What Palestinian militants and Hezbollah have done are not acts of war nor acts of terror, they are simply acts carried out in opposition to Israel's aggressive unilateralist policies. Scores of innocent Palestinian women and children are being unjustly held in Israeli jails, it is only natural for these militants to demande their release. The decimation of the Gaza strip, the destruction of vital infrastructure and the mounting Palestinian deaths are acts of state-sponsored terrorism.

Ragman do you only watch FOX news ?

http://www.mackwhite.com/sheeple.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Quote:
Hezbollah and Hamas violence against Israeli citizens will be met with escalating violence against them until they cease and desist. Seems reasonable to me.

What Palestinian militants and Hezbollah have done are not acts of war nor acts of terror, they are simply acts carried out in opposition to Israel's aggressive unilateralist policies. Scores of innocent Palestinian women and children are being unjustly held in Israeli jails, it is only natural for these militants to demande their release. The decimation of the Gaza strip, the destruction of vital infrastructure and the mounting Palestinian deaths are acts of state-sponsored terrorism.

Ragman do you only watch FOX news ?

http://www.mackwhite.com/sheeple.jpg

It's not reasonable for someone to strap a nail bomb to his waist and blow himself up in a marketplace, preferentially targetting women and children, and any decent person could recognize that. You are nothing but a rabid anti-semite of the same stripe as the Nazis.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:38 pm
Online debate: Israeli and Lebanese
Israel has intensified its attacks on Lebanon and the leader of the militant group Hezbollah has declared open war on Israel.
A Lebanese man in Beirut and an Israeli living in the border town of Shlomi debate the crisis in an online debate hosted by the BBC. They will be responding to each other further as the situation develops.

SALEEM KHOURY, BEIRUT, LEBANON

I do not believe that Israel ever had the intention of fighting Hezbollah. From the first day of their attack, they only wanted to destroy our civilian infrastructure.

The fighters of Hezbollah are in the south and Israel hasn't sent a single tank there. Instead they destroy the civilian airport, bridges and power plants. How can they justify that?

Lebanon has lost many civilians - children, old people, all trying to escape. In Beirut, we haven't been able to go to work. Life has stopped.

Maybe Israel has a special obscure and twisted logic that nobody else understands

I do not know how such actions will free their two soldiers.

Furthermore, Hezbollah took the military route. They infiltrated Israel and kidnapped soldiers. They did not kidnap civilians. Israel should not respond with disproportionate force.

And Israel is not willing to negotiate. Any logical solution starts from the release of political prisoners. Not the criminals, but those people taken while Israel was occupying Lebanon.

Maybe Israel has a special obscure and twisted logic that nobody else understands. We all know that they have a strong army and the most advanced weapons that America can buy, but that will not give them peace, unless they allow other people in the region the right to live and prosper.

Their divine right to survive will never materialise until they allow others to live in dignity and honour.

So Beirut will be destroyed by them, as in 1982, but we built it back then and can do so again. But Israel should remember, Lebanon was a graveyard to their soldiers once and could be so again.

GORDON ORR, SHLOMI, ISRAEL
I live in Shlomi on the border with Lebanon. I can see a Hezbollah lookout post from my balcony.

Shlomi was among the settlements shelled on Wednesday morning. This shelling brought Israeli soldiers to the border area where they were ambushed: seven were killed and two were kidnapped.

What option did Israel have? Should we have said: 'Well done Mr Nasrallah, got us this time, we'll do whatever you want'

And for what purpose?

This was Nasrallah [Hezbollah's chief] trying to improve his standing in the Arab world.

It is difficult to believe that the interest of the Lebanese people was in his mind when he gave the order for this.

What option did Israel have? Should we have said: "Well done Mr Nasrallah, got us this time, we'll do whatever you want"?

What others call negotiating is really a call to give in blindly to his demands, and that puts my life and the life of every other Israeli at risk.

I am not a strong supporter of Israeli policies, and I believe no less than any Palestinian, Lebanese, Egyptian, Jordanian or Syrian in the need for peace.

But to blindly claim that our refusal to negotiate after such a blatant, provocative, aggressive and bloody act means that we have an "obscure and twisted logic" is purely a statement based on demagogy and a refusal to accept facts.

Israel has no need or interest in attacking the Lebanese infrastructure - the opposite is true. A strong wealthy Lebanon can only add to the good of the region.

And all commentary on the situation between Israel and Lebanon conveniently ignores the terrible civil war that raged for years, in which thousands of Christians, Muslims and Druze, all Lebanese, were killed by other Lebanese.

As I write these words, I can hear a news broadcast telling of 70 people being hospitalised after another day of shelling in the north of Israel and the day hasn't finished yet!

Someone, somehow, must put pressure on Hezbollah. The Lebanese government is absolving itself of any involvement, so Israel must pressure Nasrallah.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:40 pm
And people wonder why Iran wants to have arms when Israel, can attack any nation in the region with impunity.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
Brandon9000

Quote:
It's not reasonable for someone to strap a nail bomb to his waist and blow himself up in a marketplace, preferentially targetting women and children, and any decent person could recognize that. You are nothing but a rabid anti-semite of the same stripe as the Nazis.

Did you just mention Nazi ?

"The Latest Israeli Offensive Reminds Me of What I Read About the Warsaw Ghetto"

"About six million Jews lost their lives in the Nazi Holocaust. [But while] the [number of] victims of the tit-for-tat killings between Israelis and Palestinians during the past decades may not reach the number of the victims of Auschwitz and Treblinka in a day, there are obvious similarities between what the Jews suffered under Nazism and what the descendants of the Holocaust victims are afflicting to the Palestinians.

"The latest Israeli offensive reminds me of what I read about the Warsaw Ghetto. This was a poor Jewish neighborhood in the Polish capital, which was targeted by the racist Nazis. After the German occupation of Poland in 1939, the Jews in the Ghetto suffered all forms of starvation, deportation and genocide. Some Jewish partisans revolted on April 19, 1943. They shot and threw grenades at German patrols. The Nazis responded by shelling houses block by block and rounding up or killing any Jew they could capture. Significant resistance ended on April 23, and the uprising ended on May 16.

"During the fighting, approximately 7000 Jewish partisans were killed, apart from 6000 others who were burned alive or gassed. Before these confrontations, the population of the Ghetto was estimated at about 380,000. By the end of the uprising, only 50,000 remained. They were sent to German death camps. Most of them went to Treblinka."

"The Whole Gaza Strip is a Nazi-Like Concentration Camp"

"This Jewish uprising was not much different than the Palestinian one. The Palestinian Resistance carried out a military operation against Israeli soldiers. A soldier is supposed to kill and be killed. The Israeli response was almost the same as the Nazis'. They attacked the whole Gaza Strip, striking bridges and a power plant. They destroyed the water supply as a means of collective punishment in the Nazi way. The whole Gaza Strip is a Nazi-like concentration camp, just as the Warsaw Ghetto was after the German occupation of Poland."

"The Government of Fuhrer Olmert Will Not Send the People of Gaza to Gas Camps Because Oil is Expensive"

"The numbers are different, but all the other details are similar. I think that the government of 'Führer' (leader) Olmert will not send the people of Gaza to gas camps because oil is expensive. Hitler was not worried about television, which now exposes the murders of Muhammad Al-Dura, Huda Ghalia, and the children and women of Gaza.

"I do not believe that the Israeli government will force the Palestinians to wear a badge to distinguish the Arabs or Muslims from the superior Jewish race. However, Olmert's government might decide to force the Palestinians to wear something like a yellow Star of David, with the word 'Jew' written in the middle. Hence, I suggest a crescent with a green background, and the word 'Arab' or 'Muslim' written in the middle. The Jews in Europe had to wear badges that distinguished them. Olmert's government might force the Palestinians to make their own badges. If so, Israel will hit two birds with one stone: achieve ethnic discrimination and find a solution for unemployment, the worst problem facing the Palestinians in the Strip.

"I know that the Jews reject any comparison between the Nazi Holocaust and any massacre or racial genocide, whether in Pol Pot's Cambodia, in Rwanda or any where else. I know that most of the Jews around the world have nothing to do with the practices of the Israeli army and settlers. Most of them are moderate liberals, but the similarities are undeniable."

"Are We Going to See the Day When Israeli War Criminals Stand in the Dock Like the Nazi Leaders at the Nurembeg Trials?"

"Are we going to see the day when Israeli war criminals stand in the dock, like the Nazi leaders at the Nuremberg trials? Before I answer the question, I would like to make a small digression into history.

"The U.S. Treasury Secretary at that time, Henry Morgenthau, proposed a plan to rid Germany of any Nazi-like manifestations (this is similar to what is happening in Iraq). The plan was named after Morgenthau, and it included deportation, forced labor, and economic sanctions. Both Churchill and Roosevelt approved the plan. They tried to put it into effect at the Second Quebec Conference in September 1944. But Stalin and U.S. public opinion opposed the plan. Eventually, President Truman, who succeeded Roosevelt in 1945, approved the plan of U.S. Secretary of War Henry Stimson. The Stimson plan became the basis for the trial of European war criminals.

"In Israel, the Minister of Finance, Abraham Hirchson, or the Minister of Interior, Roni Bar-On, or the Minister of Internal Security, Avi Dichter, may also come up with a plan similar to Morgenthau's. It would include deportation, forced labor and economic sanctions, especially since deportation and sanctions have already begun. What prevents the use of forced labor is the fear of the rise of terrorism.

"I do not believe that I will see a trial of Israeli war criminals like the Nuremberg trials. The victorious party is the one that decides who is a terrorist. Had Hitler won the war, all the leaders of the US, Britain, France and the USSR would have been prosecuted instead of the Germans, among whom were Martin Bormann, Hermann Göring, Alfred Jodl, Ernst Kaltenbrunner, and Joachim von Ribbentrop."

The Israelis' Crimes are Similar to the Nazis', No Matter How the Numbers May Differ

"As long as Israel has the final say and is backed by the U.S., the tail will continue to wag the dog. Ehud Olmert, Shaul Mofaz, and Dan Halutz will not be punished, as they deserve. Their crimes are similar to the Nazis', no matter how the numbers may differ.

"Is it reasonable that the descendents of the Holocaust victims, or its survivors, practice what their ancestors had suffered? There are psychological explanations for this that I do not claim to understand. So, I will not try to philosophize.

"I understand that my analogy will annoy many Jews. I will not deny that it is fully intended. Perhaps the criminals will regain their reason and realize what they are doing. What I have to say to the moderate Jewish majority that seeks peace, is that they need to impose their will in order not to be stained with the crimes of an extremist minority."

MEMRI
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:06 pm
Quote:
I just finished reading "The Other Side of Israel"

It defenatly is an eye-opener, great recommendation.

And so is this great article - a must read.

Quote:
ISRAEL CROSSES THE LINE
AND YOU READ IT HERE FIRST

By: Justin Raimondo

The Israeli offensive against Iran - until now, purely polemical - morphed into military action the moment the IDF crossed the border into Lebanon and took on Hezbollah. As our regular readers know, this turn of events was predicted in this space three months ago:

"War with Iran will probably not begin with a frontal assault by the U.S. and/or Israel on Iran's alleged nuclear weapons facilities, or even a skirmish along the Iraq-Iran border. Look to Lebanon and Syria for the first battlegrounds of this developing regional war. The Israelis know perfectly well that Iran's nuclear ambitions, if they ever materialize, are not an immediate threat: their real concern is their volatile northern border, where their deadly enemies - Hezbollah - are an effective obstacle to Israeli influence. The Israelis are also looking to exploit growing opportunities to make trouble in Syria, where the restive Kurds are their reliable allies, and the brittleness of the Ba'athist dictatorship is an invitation to regime change."

The suggestion, by Professors John J. Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt, in their now famous "The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy," that the Iraq war was fought for Israel's sake, and against our own interests in the region, was received in many quarters with outright horror, and not only from the Amen Corner. Noam Chomsky and Stephen Zunes both objected to this thesis of an Israel-centric foreign policy: Israel, they insist, is the "junior partner" of the American hegemon, and is only acting at the behest and under the de facto control of its masters in Washington.

The war's aftermath, however, tells a different story. Examined in light of Israel's postwar actions - the unilateral "withdrawal" from Gaza, the absorption of more territory and the building of more settlements on the West Bank, the war against Hamas, and now the re-invasion of Lebanon - the chief (and only) beneficiary of the new regional balance of power is clear enough. The American invasion and occupation of the Mesopotamian heartland has empowered the Israelis as never before - and now they are on the offensive, carving out a greatly expanded sphere of influence extending into Kurdistan as well as Lebanon, bringing closer to fulfillment the old Zionist vision of an empire stretching "from the Nile to the Euphrates."

The U.S., on the other hand, has considerably reduced leverage in the region. Our troops in Iraq are exposed, vulnerable to the Iranians - and stalemated by the Iraqi insurgency, which shows troubling signs of extending into Shi'ite areas. As the Israelis advance, with American support, Sunni and Shi'ite factions in Iraq - including those in the governing Shi'ite coalition - are radicalized, and turn their fire on the Americans.

Yet the U.S. is still shilling for the Israelis, blaming Syria and Iran for acts that occurred well outside the purview of the mullahs and the increasingly isolated regime of Bashar al-Assad. Meanwhile, in the UN, we are bringing the issue of Iran's nuclear power program to the Security Council, pressing for a confrontation that can only end in $200-per-barrel oil.

In 1996, a group of pro-Israeli Americans - including Richard Perle, James Colbert, Charles Fairbanks Jr., Douglas Feith, Robert Loewenberg, David Wurmser, and Meyrav Wurmser - prepared a policy statement for then-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that proposed a strategy of regime change as the only solution for Israel's growing encirclement and isolation. The main problem, they averred in "A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm," was Syria, and the troublesome border with Lebanon:

"Syria challenges Israel on Lebanese soil. An effective approach, and one with which American can sympathize, would be if Israel seized the strategic initiative along its northern borders by engaging Hizballah, Syria, and Iran, as the principal agents of aggression in Lebanon."

But this could occur only if Iraq was taken out first:

"Israel can shape its strategic environment, in cooperation with Turkey and Jordan, by weakening, containing, and even rolling back Syria. This effort can focus on removing Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq - an important Israeli strategic objective in its own right - as a means of foiling Syria's regional ambitions."

With Saddam out of the way, the second phase of the "Clean Break" scenario is unfolding before our eyes. And the propaganda war is going just as well as the military aspect of the campaign: the Israelis are no fools. They realize they can't proceed without the tacit complicity of the U.S. and the Europeans, who must be made to look the other way as the IDF commits war crimes on the ground. Under the pretext of avenging the "kidnapping" of one of their soldiers - and, more recently, two more - they have unleashed a military assault planned well in advance of the allegedly precipitating incidents.

This is surely one of the most threadbare excuses for a war ever uttered. One wonders how Israel's spokesmen can say it with a straight face. Soldiers in wartime are captured, not "kidnapped." If Hezbollah has "kidnapped" those two Israeli soldiers, then how do we describe the jailing of thousands of Palestinians, including hundreds of women and children, on the basis of their alleged sympathy for Hamas - now the democratically elected government of Palestine? In any case, it appears, according to this report, that Hezbollah has some Israeli competition when it comes to the business of kidnapping.

The Bush administration is formally committed to the "road map," which entails the creation of a Palestinian state. Yet the Israelis have done everything possible to undermine Bush's plan, including obstructing elections. The American response has been appeasement: as Israeli gunboats make short work of Gaza beach-goers, Washington's response is to demand the unconditional release of a captured Israeli soldier. There is an undertone of disapproval, as Condoleezza Rice urges "restraint" by all parties and the president worries that the Lebanese government will be destabilized, yet none of this is allowed to deflect U.S. policymakers from their craven course of kowtowing to the Israelis while they spend our money and earn us plenty more enemies among the world's billion-plus Muslims.

Israel's fifth column in America has been enormously successful in "spinning" the latest news from the Middle East. Instead of reporting that Israel is invading Lebanon, the "mainstream" media avers that Israel has "entered" Lebanon - as casually as one would enter a room in one's own house. The first few paragraphs of many news stories describe the latest attacks on Israeli targets and accounts of the damage done, while, five paragraphs down, we finally get word that 55 civilians have been killed by the latest Israeli aerial bombardment of Lebanon.

The Mearsheimer-Walt thesis - that U.S. foreign policy has been hijacked (kidnapped, if you will) by what they refer to as "the Lobby" - has so far been confirmed by the events of the past few days. The United States is giving what appears to be unconditional support to phase two of the "Clean Break" plan, targeting Syria and Iran, albeit while cautioning the Israelis on Lebanon.

The Israelis, outraged by what they regard as foot-dragging in Washington, are forcing Uncle Sam's hand. If we won't fire the first shots of World War IV, then they are perfectly willing to do so - confident that we'll follow them blindly into the maelstrom.

Whether the Bush administration will go all the way with the Israelis on this one, is, however, in some doubt. The alleged triumph of the Republican "realists" over the neoconservatives, supposedly symbolized by the ascension of Condi Rice, is counteracted by the Democrats' complete subservience to the Lobby. Already Hillary Clinton is denouncing the administration for "appeasing" Iran, and the sudden reappearance of the neocons in Democratic Party circles is indicative of what is going on here. Foreign policy is merely a reflection of domestic political pressures - which, in this case, surely do not represent either the views or the interests of the American people.

Mearsheimer and Walt explain how we got into this mess, but they don't give us any answers about how to get out. How do we avoid getting dragged by our Israeli "allies' into World War IV?

The short answer: stop appeasing Israel - and start looking out for American interests. The Amen Corner makes no such distinction, but clearly there is one, the most obvious being that we (unlike the Israelis) have no interest fomenting a wider war - especially while our troops are stuck in the middle of it all, lined up like sitting ducks and increasingly on the defensive.

The U.S. must unequivocally condemn the invasion of Lebanon and call for the unconditional withdrawal of all Israeli forces from Lebanese soil. Furthermore, the naval and aerial blockade of Lebanon must end: thousands of tourists and others are pouring into Syria, where they may not be safe for very much longer. This is an intolerable act of war against the whole civilized community, and for the United States government to not only stand by but implicitly condone it is unforgivable. The "war on terrorism" apparently requires enabling Israeli state terrorism.

The regional conflict widely predicted as one of the more horrific consequences of the Iraq invasion is now breaking out. The only rational response is to get out of the way before we are drawn in. Like a summer fire in the American West, if it isn't contained, the flames of the rapidly spreading conflict will soon be licking at our door. And we are bound to be choking, sooner rather than later, on the economic fallout - another factor that could embolden the Democrats to keep up their effort to outflank the GOP on the war question from the right.

As both parties fall into lockstep behind the Lobby, and American power and prestige are once again harnessed to Israeli interests, there is little hope that Congress will step into the breach and stop our headlong plunge into World War IV. Nor do any of the likely presidential candidates seem willing to take on the War Party when the question of war and peace is put in terms of Israel's interests - or, as the Lobby would have it, the Jewish state's continued survival. Here is a war they can sell by confronting critics with a simple question: What are you, some kind of anti-Semite?

Years of relentless propaganda, countless smear campaigns, and a prodigious expenditure of money and human resources led us to this moment: the War Party is launching what amounts to its final offensive, an all-out attack on whatever bastions of human decency and common sense remain in this hideously war-crazed post-9/11 world. Come what may, we at Antiwar.com will stand at our posts, pouring hot molten editorials down on the enemy - and giving you the best, most accurate reporting on events in the Middle East anywhere on the Internet, or anywhere else, for that matter.

http://www.etherzone.com/2006/raim071406.shtml
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:17 pm
It is hard to know what to believe about this conflict.

But Israel sure isn't acting from a morally superior position.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:21 pm
Quote:
It is hard to know what to believe about this conflict.

It's not if you read the above article, everything makes complete sense.

Oh and you need to visit this website
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:37 pm
freedom4free, The graphs in your link tells the story pretty well, but statistics like those leave out the human sufferings perpetrated against the Palestinians daily by the Jews of Israel.

Even left-wing Jews criticize, humiliate and demean Ms Nathan for "living with the Palestinians-Arabs" in many different ways.

One must read her book to understand the human degradation of Palestinians by the Jews of not only Israel, but from Canada and the UK.

As I've mentioned before, her book is an eye-opener.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:59 pm
I don't believe it is just the Jews that treat the Palestians badly. Jordon, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria... none of them want the Palestinians in their countries either. I wonder why that is?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:00 pm
Every child's death is a tragedy.

Wonder why so many Palestinian children are dying, as compared to Jewish children? Do these pictures provide a clue?

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6137/palchild8yq.jpghttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4656/baby6mm.jpghttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7624/kidgun0wz.th.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2583/mideastlebanonpalestinian9fz.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7624/kidgun0wz.jpg

The Israelis don't hand their children guns at age 10 and instruct them to go try and kill some Palestinians.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
No, they get their adults to handle that.

Of course, 3 billion+ a year in military aid from the US means that you don't have to recruit youngsters...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
Was this the catalyst for the current escalation? "Hamas performs about-turn on Israeli state

· Document recognises Israel's right to exist
· Shift away from founding goal of an Islamic state". I dont think those in power in Israel and America, (PNACers) can abide a 2 state solution or a Democratically elected Hamas. Their blueprint for world domination is widely read. It called for a new Pearl Harbor followed by an invasion of Iraq followed by an escalation into Iran and Syria. A Hamas ready to recognize Israel and a 2 state solution is certainly not part of the plan. http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1802862,00.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:09 pm
Israel doesn't have to recruit youngsters, but they do; 17 year olds. Many commit suicide, because they learn how badly the Israeli army treats Palestinians. Their suicide rate is on the increase, but that information is never shared outside of Israel.

People like ticomaya are sick in the head; they take pleasure in showing pictures of Arab kids that only inflames innocent Arabs. He doesn't understand anything about the plight of Palestinians or Arab-Isralis.
0 Replies