Contradictions in the Bible...

xingu

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Conceit lay in the contention that it were the greatest source . . . Hooters gave large sums of money for hurrican relief in the US, and when it was revealed that some people had abused government credit cards to buy champagne, Hooters stepped in and picked up that bill.

Shall we therefore decide that Hooters is an organization as charitable and morally correct as your church? Should we tout the employment of busty young women in skimpy outfits?

If that is your pleasure. The bible seems to have little to say on this matter.

Another fine example of how the overly religious have lost their ability to think for themselves. Perhaps Intrepid your to ignorant of the Bible know that it does have something to say on this subject. Do you not know that anyone with a thorough knowledge of the Bible can find a passage somewhere and have it interrupted in such a way that the Bible will say whatever you want it to say? But then another Biblicist may come along and find a contradiction.

If God had an ounce of common sense and he would have wanted to write a book delivering a simple message that would be understood by all of humanity he would never had written a book like the Bible. If God was prankster who loved to spread disharmony and foster discord the Bible was the perfect book to write. That's why there are over 30,000 different Christian sects in this world, some of whom can't even decide such simple issues as to what day to go to church on.

They all have to thumb through their Bibles searching for some passage that can be interrupted in such a way as to defend their opinion, dogma or actions. Without this Biblical support they are lost and confused.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:19 am
material girl wrote:
yitwail wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

In my opinion, because the very definition of faith is belief without proof.

wandel, the dictionary agrees with you:

Quote:
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

To people with faith-Do you look both ways before you cross the road?

There's really only one reason I could think of to ask a question such as this. Correct me if I'm wrong here Material girl... To imply that if you look before you cross the road you are not using your "faith". However, common sense does not require faith. We have a brain for a reason and I can't help but think that we're actually suppose to use it sometimes. Life is a matter of balance I think. When people start leading towards extreme's such as your example in the context I've taken it in material girl, is when you get all that weird stuff going on within the context of "religious experiences".

Now... don't get me wrong here. I do believe that there are certain things that have happened in my own life that were from God. However... the problem IMO comes when people get out of balance and start saying silly thinks like, "Well, I don't need to look before I cross the road because I have faith that God will protect me." When people start putting requirements such as that on God in order for Him to "prove" his existence. "If I get hit by a car He obviously doesn't exist... because if He really loved me He would protect me." "If I don't get hit by a car, well hallelujah! God has protected me!"

While little outward things can have big meaning to some, ultimately the little outward things that happen don't mean much. It's the inward things that count. The changes that come about within a person hearts, ideals, perceptions. Those things effect the way we treat others, how we perceive ourselves, how we perceive the world we live in. The little outward things we do or embrace really just tell the story of what's on the inside. It's those inward things that have changed in my life that cause me to continue believing in God. Not the "tests" that I have put Him through. Not whether all the circumstances in my life are just the way I want them to be. Those things only bring temporary satisfaction, but when they are gone... so is the satisfaction.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:21 am
snood wrote:
Quote:
I have not yet been given evidence that faith works 100%

Well, you gotta admit that's a far cry from suggesting faith and stupidity are synonymous.
And, yes, dear - since it was a written statement, it was more libel than slander. So astute of you.

What do you have faith in?
Thank you.It was libel, not more libel than slander,sweetheart.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:47 am
material girl,

It would have been better if you had discussed the answers given to you before jumping to a different question. The "hit and run" approach turns people off.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
I didnt get an answer to my question, hence I had to ask another.

Please could you remind me of the answer to my question.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:55 am
material girl wrote:
I didnt get an answer to my question, hence I had to ask another.

Please could you remind me of the answer to my question.

You made a series of several different questions. When each was answered, you jumped to a different question without discussing the answers to your previous questions.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
Gee wande- that's rich coming from you.

You anti-IDers do that all the time on your famous thread.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:07 am
Setanta wrote:
I see you have sidestepped MG's cogent question as to what sort of lesson that teaches young people. Do you use a censored bobble for the little ones?

This hasnt been answered.

My questions come from what I have read posted by other people, simply to move things along.

My questions are met with other questions, not answers.I had to define 'nasty' at one point, nobody has said specifically what they have faith in and nobody has said, if they have faith in God, whether they look before they cross the road.

Again I ask-What do people/you have faith in?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:16 am
Well, it's a big leap I admit, but I have faith that you are being an ass, and pretending to try to have a reasonable discussion.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
hephzibah wrote:

There's really only one reason I could think of to ask a question such as this. Correct me if I'm wrong here Material girl... To imply that if you look before you cross the road you are not using your "faith". However, common sense does not require faith. We have a brain for a reason and I can't help but think that we're actually suppose to use it sometimes. Life is a matter of balance I think. When people start leading towards extreme's such as your example in the context I've taken it in material girl, is when you get all that weird stuff going on within the context of "religious experiences".

Sorry missed your post.

You get my point precisely, tho I am bothered by yuo saying that we should only use our brains sometimes!
To me common sense makes me think it makes sense not to live our lives by a book.

Then again if your religion, the Bible, any beliefs etc bring you comfort in life, Im not knocking it.I think its a good thing.
I just have problems understanding the point in faith when it can sometimes let you down.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:23 am
snood wrote:
Well, it's a big leap I admit, but I have faith that you are being an ass, and pretending to try to have a reasonable discussion.

So you have faith that im an ass.

Once again your side stepping my question.
It doesnt fill me with faith in religious people.

Im merely trying to have a conversation and learn things from others.

The conversation is very one sided and your being very negative.I would have thought the religious side would have more love for me.Its a shame, people with faith are not what I thought theyd be.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
spendius wrote:
Gee wande- that's rich coming from you.

You anti-IDers do that all the time on your famous thread.

What are anti-IDers?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
(never mind spendi, material girl)

I am not religious. Jumping from question to question would throw any thread "out of whack". I am sorry if it sounded like I was scolding, material girl.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:38 am
wandeljw wrote:
(never mind spendi, material girl)

I am not religious. Jumping from question to question would throw any thread "out of whack". I am sorry if it sounded like I was scolding, material girl.

Thats alright, sometimes its tough to recognise a person intonation from a post.
I try to learn from everything here.This forum is where I learned that everyone on the planet are all different.Sad to realise that on a forum , I know but all the same Im glad Ive learnt.
I just read, absorb, ask and learn.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:01 am
material girl wrote:
snood wrote:

So you have faith that im an ass.

Once again your side stepping my question.
It doesnt fill me with faith in religious people.

Im merely trying to have a conversation and learn things from others.

The conversation is very one sided and your being very negative.I would have thought the religious side would have more love for me.Its a shame, people with faith are not what I thought theyd be.

Well, if you think that all people of faith have some kind of doctrine that compels them to be the butt of every snide and cynical crack directed toward them at a whim, then you have much to learn indeed.

I was responding to your stupid faux question about what the difference was between faith and stupidity.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:11 am
I cant remember my faux question re faith and stupidity, please could you post it.

I think you have much to learn if you call all people that ask questions you cant answer, an ass.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:24 am
material girl wrote:
I cant remember my faux question re faith and stupidity, please could you post it.

I think you have much to learn if you call all people that ask questions you cant answer, an ass.

Not all.

And if you can't remember a question you posed a couple thread pages back, maybe it ain't the faithful whose stupidity should be in question.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
material girl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
material girl wrote:
yitwail wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

In my opinion, because the very definition of faith is belief without proof.

wandel, the dictionary agrees with you:

Quote:
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

To people with faith-Do you look both ways before you cross the road?

We have faith. We are not stupid. You seem to have faith confused with blind stupidity. There is a difference, you know.

Question

Then whats the difference?

This is when you havnt answered my 'What do you have faith in?' question.

I cant discuss something without an answer.
If you would say what you had faith in it would make this fair.Surely your faith would protect you in a road crossing situation, when there are plenty of people that have faith in doctors yet sadly people still get ill/die.

If you cant attempt to answer a simple question then its not you that should be putting people down for asking questions.
Do you ridicule children too when they ask questions to understand things?

Your really not being fair, it would be nice if you could answer a question.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:43 am
Okay, oh wide-eyed innocent, I'll play.

I have faith in a higher power that I believe loves me and knows what is good for me better than I do myself.

do yer dangdest....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:53 am
material girl wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Sorry missed your post.

You get my point precisely, tho I am bothered by yuo saying that we should only use our brains sometimes!
To me common sense makes me think it makes sense not to live our lives by a book.

Then again if your religion, the Bible, any beliefs etc bring you comfort in life, Im not knocking it.I think its a good thing.
I just have problems understanding the point in faith when it can sometimes let you down.

Thanks. Smile I didn't say only though. I said actually use them sometimes. Meaning, think before we act rather than being so impulsive and calling that "faith". I can see why saying only would be bothersome though. Razz
0 Replies