Contradictions in the Bible...

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:07 am
material girl wrote:
Does anyone have any proof that God or Jesus exists/existed?
And why we should follow/belive what they teach?

Let me ask this. Does anyone have proof that Americans walked on the moon? I mean absolute, undeniable facts that would cause the most skeptical to believe it.

Billions of people, who represent diverse sociological, intellectual, emotional, educational makeups...believe that there is a Creator, a God to be worshipped. Now, the fact that so many people believe something certainly doesn't make it true. But when so many people through the ages are so personally convinced that God exists, can one say with absolute confidence that they are all mistaken?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:10 am
That's an argument from mere numbers--if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you join them?

No one suggests that everyone in the United States should behave in certain ways, and support a certain legality because it is alleged (on a very reasonable basis) that Americans have visited the moon. Millions of people in the United States want to insist that people should behave in certain ways, and pass certain laws, based on their Jeebus superstitions. Your analogy is very poor.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:11 am
In your opinion. Which, of course, you are entitled to. Oh, I might point out that the world does not start and end with the United States. I am referring to people of the world.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:16 am
We may not have proof of people walking on the moon other than footage and moonrock but we do have satelite dishes in the sky, an amazing way to communicate to each other all over the world so that is proof that we have made it into space.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:17 am
material girl wrote:
We may not have proof of people walking on the moon other than footage and moonrock but we do have satelite dishes in the sky, an amazing way to communicate to each other all over the world so that is proof that we have made it into space.

You have proved nothing. Do you get my point?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:18 am
There's a plethora of proof including three countries whose dishes picked up the communications with the astronauts. To believe all the trips to the moon were staged is just plain conspiracy theory lunacy. So is absolute belief in the Bible.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:20 am
Lightwizard wrote:
There's a plethora of proof including three countries whose dishes picked up the communications with the astronauts. To believe all the trips to the moon were staged is just plain conspiracy theory lunacy. So is absolute belief in the Bible.

Nonsense. The communications could have been from Disneyland. I am talking about absolute proof. The kind of proof that you folks are demanding for the existence of God.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:23 am
Bullshyte -- the triangulation of the three dishes cannot have faked any signals from Disneyland. You are one of those conspiracy theory "we did not go to the moon" lunnies, aren't you? This supports my theory that you have no idea what you are thinking or writing about. I'll just ignore your comments from now on.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:39 am
Intrepid wrote:
material girl wrote:

I have no idea what your point is, I just like gettingmyself in a tizzy.
My point was that the fact that we can communicate in the ways we do now prooves that we have been to space at least.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:42 am
material girl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
material girl wrote:

My point was that the fact that we can communicate in the ways we do now prooves that we have been to space at least.

The fact that billions of people have prayed to God and received Grace proofs that prayers transcend time and space at least.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:46 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Bullshyte -- the triangulation of the three dishes cannot have faked any signals from Disneyland. You are one of those conspiracy theory "we did not go to the moon" lunnies, aren't you? This supports my theory that you have no idea what you are thinking or writing about. I'll just ignore your comments from now on.

No, I am not suggesting that I am a conspiracy theory (lunny). Perhaps you meant loonies?

Your theory that I have no idea what I am talking about is your privilege. If this is your only proof, I am not surprised that you are turning tail and running. Bye.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:48 am
Intrepid wrote:
material girl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
material girl wrote:

The fact that billions of people have prayed to God and received Grace proofs that prayers transcend time and space at least.

Ay??

The fact that billions get down on there knees put their hands together and talks to themselves prooves that they can do what they have been told to do by religious people.Nothing else.How do they/you know thay have received grace?
Im sure the families of the minors that died in that collapsed mine shaft(I think in Russia)prayed for them too, it didnt get to God, it didnt help them.The outcome has nothing to do with God.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:54 am
I just have a general comment regarding proof. Faith means believing in something where you have no proof. Even the most rigorous of scientists will admit that not everything can be proven or even understood.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
material girl wrote:
Im sure the families of the minors that died in that collapsed mine shaft(I think in Russia)prayed for them too, it didnt get to God, it didnt help them.The outcome has nothing to do with God.

Maybe somebody was praying for the mineshaft to collapse and all those miners (I'm guessing that even Russia doesn't send minors into its mines) to die, and maybe god decided to answer that prayer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:11 am
Intrepid wrote:
In your opinion. Which, of course, you are entitled to. Oh, I might point out that the world does not start and end with the United States. I am referring to people of the world.

It is a well-informed opinion. I do, however, live in the United States, and therefore, it is appropriate for me to refer to conditions in the United States when explaining my interest in such a topic. At all events, you are the one who came up with the silly and unworkable analogy of the moon landing, noting yourself that it was the Americans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
Intrepid wrote:

This is one of your sillier contributions. There is no good reason to assume that it is a "fact" that anyone has "recived grace," you just want to believe as much. Therefore, your unsubtantiated claims about prayer "proofs" nothing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

This is one of your sillier contributions. There is no good reason to assume that it is a "fact" that anyone has "recived grace," you just want to believe as much. Therefore, your unsubtantiated claims about prayer "proofs" nothing.

If you had left it in context, you would have seen that it was a spoof reply to what Material Girl wrote. BTW, we both made the mistake of spelling proves as proofs, but I spelled received correctly. Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
it's also written thus, in Matthew, and many other places,

Quote:
7Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

so God may not answer prayers that put God to the test. however, i doubt any Bible passage spells out what prayers will be unanswered for that reason.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:23 am
Intrepid wrote:
If you had left it in context, you would have seen that it was a spoof reply to what Material Girl wrote. BTW, we both made the mistake of spelling proves as proofs, but I spelled received correctly.

That does not alter that you were attempting to suggest that if a great many people believe in a god, that is good evidence--it is not.

I misspelled receive--but i was using your spelling of "proofs," so you can't pin that one on me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:24 am
Of course, not all prayers are answered. That is why I don't have a Mercedes. Laughing

Seriously.... If we try to test God, we are foolish indeed. Not all prayers are answered because we sometimes pray for things that are what we want and not what God's wants for us.
0 Replies