Corsets Must Have Been Hell!

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:47 pm
Early last Saturday morning, I was sitting on my little patio, having a cup of coffee and.....I admit it.....I wasn't wearing a bra.

Hey now! It was early, and I had on a big t-shirt that covered me up pretty well.

I couldn't help thinking....."it's nice not to have a bra on...."

I think all the women out there know what I mean. How about that time, right before you go to bed, when you take off your bra?

Let's all say it together, "aaaaaahhhhhh!!!"

So then I started thinking about the women back in the old days who had to wear corsets. What fun that must've been (not!).

Imagine having to wear one of those things day in and day out! It must've been hell.

Then I started wondering if corsets were just a phenomenon of the 19th and early 20th century, or did they go back further? Were women wearing them in the 1600's? In the 1700's?

So I did a little research. I found a few surprising things, but there was also some information that I had heard about before.

I had heard that corsets often made it difficult for women to breathe properly, which caused them to have dizzy or fainting spells (known as the "vapors" back then). This reinforced the stereotype of women being fragile, and weak.

I had also heard that because women often wore their corsets tightly laced, it caused their internal organs to become misshapen!

All in the interest of beauty and fashion.

But I didn't realize that corsets may have been around as long as 2,000 years ago!

Also, in the 1830's little girls as young as three or four were laced up into corsets!

And for a brief period of about ten years (1830-1840) fashion-conscious men (the "dandies" of the day) wore corsets too!

Here are a couple of links about corsets:

http://www.victoriaspast.com/DressingRoom/corsethistory.htm
http://laracorsets.com/History_of_the_corset_05_1800-1850s.htm

We are so lucky to live in corset-free times!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,498 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:56 pm
Hey, Stray. Are you familiar with the term, "the vapors"? That was a euphemism for: My corset is laced too tight.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:00 pm
I was once in a play that required accurate clothing and a bone corset was part of the deal. It was a nightmare to wear but it sure gave me a knock out figure. I can't imagine how women did farm work, house cleaning, child chasing or survived hot days with that thing on.

I quess they were better than foot binding.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:07 pm
I'm guessing the women-doing-farm-or-scullery-work and the women-wearing-corsets strata of society didn't overlap very much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
Girdles were still worn when I was an early teen. Goodf'king grief. I was surely born at the right time, as they quickly disappeared...

I think the main deal was to have no apparent visible jiggling...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
They didn't, patio. Most corseted women were of the upper echelon.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:17 pm
In my mother's day--mid-1920's--well brought up, middle-class girls were laced into corsets when they got their first period.

My mother considered herself lucky that she had an older sister who Absolutely Refused to wear a corset.

Some of the Edwardian Beauties had their livers squeezed into two separate pieces.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
They can be very sexy, though.

http://www.knr-corp.com/images/full/WM4.JPG
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
Yep.. I'm wearing one right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:48 pm
I guess the deal with corsets (never tried that...) is that they are of a parcel.. one big lacing in. With girdles, there was this tendency to roll and tourniquet, especially the rubberized ones...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:52 pm
I had a girdle with two 1" steels down the belly, satin panels on the sides, and a hook and eye closing with a zipper. When I once went to a wedding, I had to take it off right after the soup, lest I barf all over the other guests!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:55 pm
nimh wrote:
Yep.. I'm wearing one right now.

er,http://www.thetubes.com/rockyhorror/Feead2_small.jpg???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:55 pm
Well why do we wear these damn BRAS?

I found out that a local festival (Comfest) is known for topless ladies strolling around because... get this... going topless is legal in Columbus! (I knew I liked this place.) Since then I've been wondering if it was worth it to mortify sozlet. Probably not. But I hate hate hate wearing bras (or shirts!) in the summer if I have a choice in the matter.

A good bra is comfortable yadda yadda I agree from about October through late June, but when it gets HOT, I get so jealous of how men can just peel things off and walk around. Hmph.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well why do we wear these damn BRAS?

I found out that a local festival (Comfest) is known for topless ladies strolling around because... get this... going topless is legal in Columbus! (I knew I liked this place.) Since then I've been wondering if it was worth it to mortify sozlet. Probably not. But I hate hate hate wearing bras (or shirts!) in the summer if I have a choice in the matter.

You know, its legal here in A2K too... and we promise we wont be mortified...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:12 pm
Corsets also caused muscle loss so severe that women had a hard time standing up without the help of all that lacing. The book I was reading said that women, upon arising, would thankfully put on their corsets just to be able to stand comfortably. Ugh!

That reminds me of a tribe of African women who wear rings around their necks. As they add rings, they lose the power to hold their heads up without the support of the rings.

Still, foot binding, at least to me, would be worse by far than corsets or neck rings.

Why all the discomfort to the point of disfigurment? What on earth were they thinking? Why did they allow themselves to be manipulated so severely?

On that note, lots of us still like to wear high heels. They do make legs look longer and give more definition to the calf muscles. Vanity. Hmm...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:16 pm
I don't like seeing the mrs. (or most women, for that matter) in makeup and heels.

though I do love a great set of calves and ankles. (heels are cheating, methinks)...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:17 pm
(*)(*)

Ah, that's better.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:17 pm
must be cold in here.

along the same line of thinking, I've always been a boxer guy. but as the years go by, the approach of the warm months makes me wonder if i shouldn't be looking for a little more support. I've never been a big one for hacky-sack.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
(*)(*)

Ah, that's better.

Looks like they're upside down...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:21 pm
Whoa. Your breasts get smaller when you quote 'em..
0 Replies