Corsets Must Have Been Hell!

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:31 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
I'm guessing the women-doing-farm-or-scullery-work and the women-wearing-corsets strata of society didn't overlap very much.

You are correct, sir! Here's a little blurb from one of the links I posted:

"Working-class women (except when dressed for special occasions) did not go through the discomfort of wearing tightly laced corsets. They wore looser corsets and simpler clothes, with less weight. The higher up in class a lady was, the more confining her clothes were. This was because they didn't need the freedom to do household chores. Paid servants took care of such cumbersome matters."

No wonder women didn't do much or get involved much in sports back in those days. How could you go jogging or play tennis when you have enough trouble just breathing?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:34 pm
Many lords of the manors (or whatnot) must have preferred the help...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:37 pm
http://www.lockley.net/images/tennis_female_1890s-65x167.gif
19th century tennis outfit.

I believe the term "loose woman" was first applied to women who did not wear corsets because they had to work. Later it came to mean a prosititute as they did bother with corsets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:39 pm
nimh wrote:
sozobe wrote:
(*)(*)

Ah, that's better.

Looks like they're upside down...

I was thinkin' they looked QUITE perky. Definitely be passing the pencil test.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:43 pm
Well! How interesting is THAT little tidbit??? Thank you Green Witch.

I've worn a few binders in my day and it's no fun. There's a whoie psychological/emotional/vanity thing that goes on before actually donning one. It has definitely GOT to be worth it. The outfit has got to be stupendous, weather conditions must be accomodating, the meal must have light options and next day recovery time plentiful. Otherwise...**** it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:44 pm
\./\./
} . {
( v )
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:48 pm
Forgot to add...altho i will squeeze into a waist whittler from time to time, I haven't worn a bra in thirty years!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:55 pm
\./\./
} . {
( v )

\.|\.|
} . {
( v )

\./\./
} . {
( v )

ok, sorry
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:58 pm
that looks a lot like what I'm trying to learn in bellydance class right now

a lot more difficult than it seems

move the boobs without moving the shoulders, arms or hips

isolations are brutal
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:08 pm
but great for the various muscle groups! Laughing
Good for you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:26 pm
I'm am of the braless persuasion and mostly wear target spandex thingies on a daily basis, but I - not so very small, thought not so very large - still think support is necessary for such matters as 10K runs. On the matter of large, which I have had boobs of for about five minutes of my life, but I sort of understand, one doesn't need to grow a colony of yuck or growths beneath the boobs. One needs air under there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:54 am
Quote:
...one doesn't need to grow a colony of yuck or growths beneath the boobs. One needs air under there.

I'm fond of medical memoirs--particularly the stories of ETM's and ER staffers.

One of the most graphic warnings against obesity came from the account of a 400 pound woman who had developed a yeast infection in every single crack and crevice of her monumental body.

Not only did she itch, she stank.

As for bras, I just wish my straps would stay up. Perhaps in heaven....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:02 pm
Cat yesterday was so fat that it's urine was obstructed by, er, folds. It just dribbled down her backside, irritated her skin, and allowed for secondary infection. Yummy.

Not a corset in the world that could have helped that fat p...........

Oh, never mind.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:30 pm
I own a corset (yes, flog me for being old fashioned) and personally, when I wear it, it makes me feel sexy as hell. I have a more bendable boning, versus the steel boning that the old ones had but trust me, this sucker isn't bendy. It's got the double laces (one on the top and one on the bottom) so you can really suck in and tighten it. And I like it tight. If it isn't tight, there's no point in wearing it. It's not as comfortable as nothing but it isn't as uncomfortable as you might think. If you aren't planning on sitting down or doing strenous activity. It's more like a standing up kinda garment. :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:16 pm
Actually, the waist whittler I wear feels kind of good while standing, like a back brace.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:29 pm
By mid-July male black bears have put on a first, second and third layer of fat and the stream of urine can't clear the marbled flesh.

By coincidence, mating season is between late May and mid-July.

From mid-July to hibernation time the male bear smells like a malfunctioning cesspool.

He doesn't care.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:59 pm
Wow, I would not have thought you could still buy a real lace-up corset...Where did you find that?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:05 pm
http://www.amazondrygoods.com/amazon2.gif

Place to buy the above corset
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
They sell them all over.

You can by a fashion corset at the mall. Light to no boning, no figure shaping so it's for stick figures with no souls. Fredricks of Hollywood and Lover's Lane carry more real corsets. And then there are the old time, steel corsets you can buy online for $200 and up. Depends on what you are looking for.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:32 pm
Corsets just aren't the same since whalebone became unfashionable.
0 Replies