asking for tips?

sakhi

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:45 am
@Chai,
Quote:

I'm curious...people from other countries...what are the habits of your population?

I also tip waiters, my hairdresser, valets, pizza delivery guy.
And yes, we always leave a cash tip at restaurants.
Most people I know tip all these people.

I don't tip cab drivers in my city at all. If I'm in a new city , and if the cab driver as helped me find my way to a place (happens fairly often), or if he has waited for me at the airport because my flight was late, I tip generously. As far as i know, there are no rules for tipping drivers in India. It's just up to you.

At the usual (more upmarket) restaurants, we always leave a tip of at least 10% but it can go up 20% if the food and service was good.

Food is often quite cheap in India. The bill in some inexpensive (but nice) places comes up only to about 100 Rs (= 2 $ ) for the two of us. 15% of that would be a really small tip so we tip very generously in such places. The general population does not tip generously in such (cheaper) places - they just ask the waiter to keep the change. Like if the bill came up to 95 rs/-. they will leave him a 5 Rs tip.

It's rare, but there have been times when we haven't tipped. Only reserved for really bad, obnoxious service or terrible food. But no waiter has ever reminded/asked me for a tip. But, sometimes they do come to you with a feedback form and ask you to write something (nice) about their service. I've done that - no problem.

When we go out with friends, we go dutch - I really can't sit through the process of figuring out what each of us ordered and how much it costed. I'm vegetarian and my dishes tend to cost lesser, and I do drink but very little. (I'm not rich but I just don;t like the idea. I really don't mind paying for someone's expensive drink or dish). If I think a group of friends aren't worth that extra buck, I'd rather not go out with them.

With some groups of friends, we take turns with the bill. Like I used to go out almost every friday afternoon for lunch with colleagues and each week, one person would foot the bill.
0 Replies

GoddessMathair25

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 07:28 pm
I work at a grill attached to a gas station where I make hamburgers and pizzas. I'm in Texas so it's very hot and we are very busy most of the time. I work alone, so me and the other girls have a tip jar that we use but no one tips! I do make minimum wage so it's not the same as a waitress but working behind a hot grill all day is tiring but every time I make a burger or 10 burgers I never get a tip out of it. I don't know if I'm overreacting or being jipped. What do you all think? If you were in the same situation would you expect a tip in return? I would love the feedback...I really am not sure.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 07:39 pm
@GoddessMathair25,
It would only be fair for the someone in your position expect a tip but the problem is you can't get blood from stone. If your customer base are a bunch of bloody cheapskates there isn't much one can do.

Maybe a well drawn and written (AKA TYPO FREE) sign if allowed by the management used to shame the clients into tipping something in order to help you and the other workers just a little bit.

I'm not sure how you should word it but keep it civil, keep it humble, and keep it sensible yet with a sense of humor. You might chose to word it with a wicked bite but that might backfire if the customers are easily offended.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 07:53 pm
@GoddessMathair25,
GoddessMathair25 wrote:
I work at a grill attached to a gas station where I make hamburgers and pizzas. I'm in Texas so it's very hot and we are very busy most of the time. I work alone, so me and the other girls have a tip jar that we use but no one tips! I do make minimum wage so it's not the same as a waitress but working behind a hot grill all day is tiring but every time I make a burger or 10 burgers I never get a tip out of it. I don't know if I'm overreacting or being jipped. What do you all think? If you were in the same situation would you expect a tip in return? I would love the feedback...I really am not sure.
I 'm sympathetic to your plight.
I suspect that people who customers SEE and interact with probably get better tips.

Seriously, u need to turn your attention (off hours) to finding a BETTER source of income.
Think creatively. . . . until u succeed.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 08:15 pm
@GoddessMathair25,
Depends on the operation. I mean, if I walk up to the counter at McDonalds, place my order, carry the tray, and bus the table I don't tip anyone. In a full service restaurant, I surely do. Likewise, if I go to a pizza joint and pick up something to take out, I don't. For your situation, I would have to be there.
0 Replies