asking for tips?

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:09 pm
I know some countries like the US give tips to the waiter/waitress without them asking for it. here in asia (not all countries), the waitress/waiter has to ask for tips from customers. that's what i see. i went to a few trestaurants here and when you ask for the check and use credit card, there's a space there for tips. It depends on the customer if he/she wants to give you tips or not. when you didnt write anything on the tips space, they will ask you to confirm it ( to see if everything is right on the check, e.g. total amount) or there are some who will ask you to fill up the tips space. I dont know why they do this. its like they are reminding me or letting me make sure i should give tips to them.

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:27 pm
In the US, I hope you are not leaving without giving them a tip. It's customary/normal to tip 15-20% of the total bill. Wait staff here usually only make about $2/hr from the restaurant, and they depend on tips for their main income source from that job. However, they don't come out and ask you for a tip, because it's assumed they will receive one.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
Most restaurants that accept credit cards has a space for TIPS. When we go out to eat, we usually leave a cash tip even when we charge the meal on a credit card. That way, we are almost sure the waiter/waitress gets the money rather than the restaurant.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Most restaurants that accept credit cards has a space for TIPS. When we go out to eat, we usually leave a cash tip even when we charge the meal on a credit card. That way, we are almost sure the waiter/waitress gets the money rather than the restaurant.

Plus credit card tips will be 100% reported for taxes, while they can obviously hide cash.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:51 pm
Also, and most importantly for the waitress.....

I ALWAYS leave a cash tip, even when I'm paying with a credit card.

If you write it on the receipt, all of it will have to be reported for taxes.

If you leave cash, they only have to declare a certain percentage.

It's hard enough for them to make a buck, why hit them with the tax?

G'night everybody, and don't forget to tip your waitress! (cash).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
It's not only the tax, but the credit card charges a percentage of the total bill as their fee.
0 Replies

oriental

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 02:12 pm
in the country i live in, people don't give tipsespecially locals. they include 10% service charge and think of it as tips...lol. what they don't know is, the service charge is not for the waiter/waitress. foreigners here do give tips at first, when they stay here for longer period of time. their friends from the country will tell them "we don't give tips here." ( which is kinda sucks for the waiter/waitress). it's not easy to work as a waiter/waitress.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:32 am
Tips
My experience is ... if you see the word tip anywhere ..... they expect it !!!!

If a valet etc hang around ... they are expecting a tip ....

It's up to you if you feel the service was worth it .... then give them a tip ... if not ... then don't feel guilty if you don't ... they didn't deserve it ...

And remember it's perfectly okay to say no without feeling guilty !!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:44 am
Am I evil?I avoid tipping.
Admittedly I dont go anywhere where I need to tip.

I assume if people are doing a job they get paid for it.
I dont get paid much so I dont know why I should tip if the other person is getting paid.

Fair enough in low income countries id be happy too just so long as someone tells me Im meant to.

In the UK apparently we are meant to tip girls that wash hair in a hairdressers!!

When i went to the USA, a bunch of us used a txi, it came to about $12, we gave him $15 and waited like lemons for the change.
Dont cab drivers get paid much?

I worked in a pub a few years back and this american lady was paying by credit card, when she was about to sign it she said she'd like to add some money on as a tip.
I said it wouldnt get to me(my boss was an a-hole, plus we just dont get tips)

Maybe I just hord my money because my income is low.Maybe im just nasty.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:19 am
Of course you're not evil...I don't know the customs in England...but here's the people I usually tip....

At the car wash, the guy who dries off the car and finishes the inside. I have a small car, so I give him a couple of bucks. If I had a larger vehicle, I'd tip more. Not sure how much more. Sometimes I'll give the person who vacuums the car a dollar, like when I ask him to do something extra than just vacuum the floor and seats. These people work out in the hot sun all day long and don't make a lot of money. Many of them are day laborers and don't have a steady income. I figure if everyone tips like me, they make 8 bucks an hour at least, plus minimum wage. That and above is fair for having to work hard all day.

My hairdresser.....that should go unsaid...take good care of you hairdresser. If a separate person washed my hair, they get a buck.

In a restaurant, I ususally go for 20%. If the waiter is ok, not rude or anything, but just doesn't give that little something extra, I'll give 15% They'd have to be really bad to stiff them. I think if they are that bad and you stiff them, they won't make the connection it's them, and will just think you're a cheapskate....if they did something awful, I speak to the manager so he/she can make them understand what's wrong...does that sound right OCCOM BILL?

If I'm in a salad bar, buffet place where you serve yourself, I'll leave a couple of bucks for my husband and I, for the person who brought the drinks and buses the table.

Other people, like the paper carrier, I tip once a year at christmas.

I don't take taxis...but on the odd occassion I have, I'd tip them too.

Re the not putting the tip on the charge, but in cash....that's just so it's not taxed.

If we have someone working around the house, every so often they get slipped something extra, if they've been steady and dependable.

I don't see it as being held hostage like "if I don't tip them I'll get bad service next time" I see it like showing appreciation to someone for a job well done, for doing something that I chose not to do myself.

I could run down and buy the paper every week, wash my own car, cook a meal at home when I don't want to, or climb up and clean a gutter....but I choose not to. That little something extra I pay is in appreciation that they are making my life easier.

I get a bonus at years end, and also in the middle of the year from my employer....It's in appreciation for all I do. I in turn appreciate them.

When I'm budgeting, I add the cost of the tip in to whatever is appropriate.

Honestly? On the whole I feel like any tip I give is received with appreciation. I get a smile and a "thank you" It's all part of the give and take in this world.

If I'm gonna be so cheap that I begrudge a few dollars, I'll just stay home.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:38 am
If you ask me "Do you need change?" I am more inclined to not tip you as well as I might have. I think it's rude to assume you deserve a tip. Sometimes, the waitress/er deserves the minimum (I ALWAYS tip) and sometimes he/she deserves much more.

I think it's rude to ask for a tip. But we are talking cultural differences here.

If I were in Asia, I should know that it's customary and I should not get my undies in a bunch. And if I didn't know that, I'd be the fool.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:45 am
It must really be an American thing because this is what I answered too.

Chai Tea wrote:

At the car wash, the guy who dries off the car and finishes the inside.
Yup

Chai Tea wrote:

My hairdresser.....that should go unsaid...take good care of you hairdresser. If a separate person washed my hair, they get a buck..
Yup...and my nail tech too.

Chai Tea wrote:

In a restaurant, I ususally go for 20%. If the waiter is ok, not rude or anything, but just doesn't give that little something extra, I'll give 15% They'd have to be really bad to stiff them. I think if they are that bad and you stiff them, they won't make the connection it's them, and will just think you're a cheapskate....if they did something awful, I speak to the manager so he/she can make them understand what's wrong...does that sound right OCCOM BILL?
Yup....it's not the servers fault they weren't trained properly. You have to make the decision whether or not they are just rude, ugly people or if they really don't know any better. But I always tip, even if it's only 10%.

Chai Tea wrote:

If I'm in a salad bar, buffet place where you serve yourself, I'll leave a couple of bucks for my husband and I, for the person who brought the drinks and buses the table.

Hm, had to think about this one...I can't rememeber the last time I was at a buffet.....in Vegas maybe at like, 3am...shoot...

Chai Tea wrote:

I don't take taxis...but on the odd occassion I have, I'd tip them too.

And valets. They get a tip from me too.

I can't think of any other times I tip...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:08 am
Bella Dea wrote:

OH OH OH....PIZZZA GUY, PIZZA GUY!!!!
Cool

Actually, that includes anyone who delivers food.

Hotels...I'll always leave something for the chambermaid a couple bucks for a night, a fiver for 2 nights.

Last year we had to stay at a hotel for an entire month during our remodel...We made sure we found the woman who took care of our area and gave her an envelope directly.

If I lived in a city, and had a concierge, he'd get tipped at christmas too. Along with maintainance people who had gone out of their way to be helpful throughout the year.

If I went to visit another country, I'd for sure read up on their tipping customs.

here in the US you better look at the bill, because sometimes an automatic gratuity is added on.

I'm curious...people from other countries...what are the habits of your population?
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Yea, neither can I. Totally stiffed me after my private strip show for you.

Where I "stiffed" you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:43 am
I once ordered a pizza and thought they gave me a total of 13.75. I wrote the check for 17.75, thinking that a four dollar tip would be adequate.

The pizza guy arrived shortly thereafter and handed me the pizza and I gave him the check.

Only while chewing on slice of pizza did I notice the receipt on the box. 17.65.

I have not ordered pizza from that place since.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:44 am
You got your tip...don't cry just because it wasn't in dollar bills....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:54 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I once ordered a pizza and thought they gave me a total of 13.75. I wrote the check for 17.75, thinking that a four dollar tip would be adequate.

The pizza guy arrived shortly thereafter and handed me the pizza and I gave him the check.

Only while chewing on slice of pizza did I notice the receipt on the box. 17.65.

I have not ordered pizza from that place since.

oh my goodness, how embarrassing.

good thing you don't order from them anymore, the delivery guy would spit on your cheese.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:01 am
I went to a TGI Fridays once, years back, and the waitress stopped our converstaion, told us a tip wasnt included (gave us some story/reason)in the total and we could give a tip if we liked.She was basically saying she'd like a tip.
I dont know why/how it came about wether it was the bosses who said they had to ask or the owners of the whole thing but I thought it was cringeworthy, asking the customers for a tip.She was a bit pushy too(they are like drama students at those places)
I think we gave a tip in the end.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:48 am
What did the leper say to the prostitute?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

That's ok...keep the tip.

Ba dum dum. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:48 am
Copied from above:
Chai Tea wrote:

Bella Dea wrote:
Hm, had to think about this one...I can't rememeber the last time I was at a buffet.....in Vegas maybe at like, 3am...shoot...

We do the same; leave a dollar or two for the person that brings the water or provides other "services." Besides, my wife insists.