ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:49 pm
Ok, fingers crossed.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:50 pm
Fabulous Mo. Sometimes children instinctively know when good behavior is really important. Please give him a hug for me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
Don't worry boomer - it's mostly paperwork that's backed up. Social workers
are overworked, underpaid and there aren't enough hands to go around,
but their intentions are mostly great and they help where they can.

I remember that I had in the end an attorney for the state come along
with the social worker and she talked at great length with my daughter - alone! I was nervous as hell, but everything worked out beautifully.

Remember, there are far more children out there than available adoptive
parents, and despite the involvement of social workers, they are ultimately
on your side.

Good luck comes to the ones who deserve it, and you're one of them,
boomer!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:08 pm
I knew it would go well! Now you can relax. Congratulations!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:45 pm
boomerang wrote:
We are hoping to have it all finished by the time school starts in September but honestly it could be as long as six months.

The social worker has to write up and file the report and our attorney has to file the adoption. The court has to review it. If all this takes a long time there might have to be a second home visit.

The social worker thought she should be able to get the report done right away but cautioned that if a placement came up that it could go on the back burner for a bit. I know our attorney is ready to go.

Fingers crossed that everything gets done quickly!

Gosh, Boomer!

That is tough.

I know you know they know you are the right people for Mo, and what a lucky little fella he is, but even knowing that, until every last t is snotted and i made cross, I imagine there will be tension and lack of final rest in your hearts.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Boomer)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Still, it is kind of good to know that, even with the hurry and lack of placements, the interview was serious and careful, no?

BUT MAKE 'EM HURRY, DAMMIT!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:46 pm
I'm hoping that we hear something from our attorney in the next few weeks - a more definate time table. I would really like to go visit family this summer. Mo harrasses me every day about when we're going. I have a new great-niece that I've yet to meet.

Mo has two weeks of swimming lessons coming up and we have a big charity to-do in August so I'm hoping that I just get enough notice to schedule a trip before school starts.

I have a feeling that it will all work out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 06:44 am
I hope the Powers that Be move swiftly--and that the summer is so satisfactory that you won't notice any delays.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:18 am
Boomer, putting your life on hold waiting for paper to grow legs will make you nuts. I'd suggest planning your trip, letting the social worker know you will be out of town from X to Y and would like to help in any way you can to move things along.

In other words, it's ok for you to be a bit forward, IMO.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:25 pm
You're right J_B. I guess I'm just worried that we will need to appear in court or something or need to sign something and I'll be far away. But I really do want to go see my family. I have been so homesick lately.

I have spent today sleeping <ahhhh bliss> and deconstructing my interview looking for something to hold on to in order to get to the finish line. One of the things the social worker said was "I love your yard. What a great garden. How incredible for a kid in the city to have that kind of space."

I explained about Mo's birthday party and asking everyone to bring seeds as a gift. Remember how I goofed over that? Should I? Shouldn't I? Is it rude to ask for something specific? Is it <instert typical boomerang idiotshit here>?

She was ever so charmed.

I'm going to hang on to that.

Maybe, just maybe I'm not such an idiot after all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:33 pm
You're really not.

Hope that they manage to speed things through. I very much agree with J_B re: visiting your family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:56 pm
They can always Fed Ex (or whatever) one day mail. For court, well, if you give the attorney/social worker the dates - seems a beneficial trip to make.

Some might know better than my guess... would it be too odd to ask the social worker's opinion?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:03 pm
Idiot schmidiot!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:16 pm
From my experience (coloado) there will at least one court hearing set by however the docket is running in your court which could be from 30 days to aas much as 6 months or longer. No one really has much influence on the docket and in many cases you may not need to attent the hearing anyway.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:23 am
You have an answering machine, I presume? And you can call it from out of town to retrieve messages?

So...call the social worker, give her your cell number, and go. Check in with your answering machine every day if it makes you feel better.

But....go.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
I agree. Go! Sitting around and waiting will make you insane, and will kill the summer if you let it.

And sooner is better than later, as it's less likely that the hearing will be next week or even this month. After that, though, you'd have to know what's up with the docket. Your lawyer can tell you that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
Looks like everyone is for your going ahead with your plans to visit family this summer. Please go, family is so important and the summer will drag and be filled with tension if you hang around waiting for the phone to ring. You all need to return to being a family without being distracted by events that might happen soon or that might be delayed for months.

Just live, revel in your family--you all deserve a break.

I always smile when I think of you and Mo and your husband loving each other so much. You are all so lucky, but especially Mo.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 10:39 pm
So glad it went well!! Very Happy

There's no way they'd turn down people like you when there are already more kids in the system than it can handle and not enough adoptive parents available. I hope you can put it out of your mind as much as possible and just have a great summer!

BIG hugs-- ((((((((((Boomer)))))))))))
0 Replies