What has this woman made of herself?

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:45 am
nimh wrote:
He wanted to hear them sing, without making his men crash his boat... best of both worlds, and all Razz

Havin' your cake, eatin' it too huh?

Thanks MA.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
Just calling it as I see it, Chai.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 11:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
And me, I represent the lone female bored by the painting on sight, and not for feminist or antifeminist reasons. Just cause I don't much like syrup.

Good point, osso. I was thinking this while cleaning the bathroom sink yesterday a.m. Although, the painting still cracks me up, it's just so silly.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:48 pm
Gala wrote:
Oh, this is a hoot, I just noticed the painter has a guy strapped to a pole so he isn't tempted by the Harpies/Sirens. This painting is killing me it's so high drama. I still think it was not good judgement from a design standpoint given the content of the article.

One more point, although I don't think anyone cares-- I have a feeling those Harvard/Blue state folk got a thrill in using this painting, the Midwestern woman's reaction is precisely what they wanted, after all, sex sells and conservatives are making it their crusade to bring us back to the 50s.

Ever read The Odyssey?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:50 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
Funny, Chai Tea, but you rather are a pot calling the kettle black. I remember well your posts over a period of some time. Just the other day, you threw an extremely childish temper tantrum and asked me to leave a thread because you thought my post was for actions that were unworkable.

I proposed something that involves self-control -- the character trait I admire above all others -- and you demonstrated a complete lack of self-control both by your content and your language.

I had had a somewhat favorable opinion of you. You then presented yourself as immature and demolished my good opinion.

plainoldme....from the posts I've read of yours, you have a long history of going off half-cocked. In the other thread, which you mention a non-existant "temper tantrum", I would invite you to look below it at my response. Which you obviously did not read. In short, you had entered a thread about one person discussing his desire to have/not have more children. You attempted to make it a world population issue. I suggested you post on another thread where that exact subject was being discused...even providing the link you you. Before you step into the muck any deeper, I suggest you go back and read. I specifically stated I wasn't trying to argue with you, but was trying to lead you to a thread where your very concerns were being discussed. Actually, I think it still would be a good idea to go onto that other thread and revive it.

As for your opininon of me...I don't fall for that game were you tell me your disappinted in me, in the hopes of having me drearily argue the point.

I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is.

Please refer here for my response.

Does anyone remember?

You demnstrate a short fuse for someone who doesn't care. Lowered my opinion still further.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:52 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Gala wrote:
Oh, this is a hoot, I just noticed the painter has a guy strapped to a pole so he isn't tempted by the Harpies/Sirens. This painting is killing me it's so high drama. I still think it was not good judgement from a design standpoint given the content of the article.

One more point, although I don't think anyone cares-- I have a feeling those Harvard/Blue state folk got a thrill in using this painting, the Midwestern woman's reaction is precisely what they wanted, after all, sex sells and conservatives are making it their crusade to bring us back to the 50s.

Ever read The Odyssey?

Oh, fer crying out loud, I read the book twice. I suppose you are expecting a literal translation of the painting? I'm not doing that, the painting is just too silly and does not invoke any of the scope of the Homer Simpson novel. Please don't get all Liberal-high falutin' on me, as I feel your original point is a valid one which you have every right to be rankled by.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:41 pm
be careful gala, or you're going to be told you have a short fuse.

Plainoldme....if I may make a break here....I'd like to say something, with no anomosity, no anger, no negative emotion at all.

Frankly, I've been both bemused and confused by your insistance that I'm somehow at odds with you...I don't even know you....

Now, again, with no rancor...I'm going to say it just once more, and I hope this time you read my words.....

1. I made no attempt to try to kick you off any thread, I suggested and supplied a link where you might discuss something you are concerned about. Something that wasn't being addressed on that particular thread. Are we okay with that? I notice you never did go over to that thread to discuss your issue, so I can only assume it wasn't that important to you.

2. On this thread, again with no anger, I made the observation that you seem to get angry at people who don't think as you do....As a matter of fact, you say things about people, that if they were saying the same to or about you, you'd take major offense.

3. I'm wordy plainoldme. That's my communication style. Ask anyone. I'm not sure how you associated that with a short fuse. The only thing I can figure is that you're imagining me saying these things in a voice that is not mine. I'm an upfront person, and not mean.

As far as your opinion of me, I stand by that, I'm within a decade your age, and don't really care if I go up or down in your esteem.

The reason I'm saying all this is that we're likely to come across each other in various threads, and I really don't feel like wasting time dealing with your misinterpreting my comments.

So either ignore me, or be friends with me. Friends are better. That's entirely up to you.

But if you come back with a response manufacturing insults or anger by me, don't expect a response. I don't waste time on anyone who just won't let it go.

pax
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:04 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
2. On this thread, again with no anger, I made the observation that you seem to get angry at people who don't think as you do....As a matter of fact, you say things about people, that if they were saying the same to or about you, you'd take major offense.

Alas, this is the ongoing contradiction of Liberals.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:47 pm
Gala wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Alas, this is the ongoing contradiction of Liberals.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being a liberal, conservative or middle of the road.

I've found in life that people who take the most offensive are also the most defensive.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
In the context of the thread, this has lots to do with being liberal.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 04:44 pm
Why shouldn't I be angry on a dying planet with people denying global warming and gloating that the lakes in their area are clean (in response to another thread I started)?
0 Replies