Fox News House Band Goes Too Far

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:22 pm
Scrat wrote:
I would prefer a single standard of conduct for all; either a word is verboten, or it is fair game.

I doubt that is possible, there's that ole "I can call my mother ugly but you can't" tendency.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:49 pm
I'm really enjoying how some the posters here are falling all over themselves explaining why it's really OK to use certain racial epithets. But, of course, these posters don't seem to belong to the ethnic groups in question.

Just for the record: I'm a member of a group that's one of the favorites for being the butt of ethnic humor. I'm by no means the most sensitive guy around, but I do pay attention to who's telling the joke: someone within the same group, or someone who isn't. It makes a difference.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:54 pm
Ok, a blonde, a brunette, a rabbi, a priest, and a clown walk into a bar.

The bartender looks at them and says "Is this some kind of joke?".
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:18 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm really enjoying how some the posters here are falling all over themselves explaining why it's really OK to use certain racial epithets.

And I'm really enjoying the suspicion that you think that's what I am doing. Very Happy
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:21 pm
Scrat wrote:
Ditto. SweetC is being overly protective and without cause.

Embarrassed oops, my affection was showing Embarrassed
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:00 pm
Hey, "affect" all you want, Sweetie! Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:30 pm
When I was growing up, the word Jap was used universally, it seemed, to denote contempt and hatred toward the Japanese. It was very common to praise the act of killing a "Jap." I don't think there have been enough years since that war that the word could be cleansed by time. This is the first time in my life that I have even written that word. I plan that it is my last.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ok, a blonde, a brunette, a rabbi, a priest, and a clown walk into a bar.

The bartender looks at them and says "Is this some kind of joke?".

Fellah walks into a pub, a little the worse for drink, and feelin' friendly, taps the fellah next to him on the shoulder an' says: "Hey, wanna hear a good blond joke?"

"Well, you might wanna think about that first. I'm here with three members of my weightlifing club, and we're all blonds. So are the barman and the bouncer. Now . . . do you, really wanna tell that joke?"

Paddy sways a little from side to side, looks them all over with a bleary regard, an' says: "Naw, i wouldn't wanna explain it half-a-dozen times."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:02 pm
Interesting how issues and words loop back in over themselves...

In high school I threw the javelin, along with a friend who was black. We use to play catch back and forth, great fun! ... but that's another story.

Anywho, I have no idea what it's like to be black and deal with it all day long, everywhere you go. I can only imagine. But being good friends we often called each other "Spear-Chucker!" and had a good laugh about it. Each time we used the word, we were actually making fun of people who use that word. Yet both of us were fundamentally the same as the people we were making fun of.

Was he racist and offensive? Was I? To be making fun of people who are racist? Are the words "Bigot!" and "Racist!" offensive, and should not be used?

Completely different topic: If gays have a Queer Parade, is the word queer still offensive? When the Dykes On Bikes go by, is dyke still offensive? Taking a derogatory word and making it a rallying call and point of pride ... can be done to any word. Perhaps it's all in the context and the intent, or the attitudes promoted by the statement itself. Who is the best person to judge someone's intent?

Can you say the N-word as a compliment? Why, or why not is that possible? Can you bring yourself to say it out loud? Ni... Ni... Ni... What happens?

One of my favorite bands: Niggers With Attitudes. There, I said it! You can punish now, even though I said it with admiration, love, envy, and respect.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:09 pm
To further confuse the issue, I understand that homosexuals in my area now wish to be referred to as "straight". (I can't wait to see what homophobes will do in response!) :wink:
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:15 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Interesting how issues and words loop back in over themselves...

In high school I threw the javelin, along with a friend who was black. We use to play catch back and forth, great fun! ... but that's another story.

Anywho, I have no idea what it's like to be black and deal with it all day long, everywhere you go. I can only imagine. But being good friends we often called each other "Spear-Chucker!" and had a good laugh about it. Each time we used the word, we were actually making fun of people who use that word. Yet both of us were fundamentally the same as the people we were making fun of.

Was he racist and offensive? Was I? To be making fun of people who are racist? Are the words "Bigot!" and "Racist!" offensive, and should not be used?

Completely different topic: If gays have a Queer Parade, is the word queer still offensive? When the Dykes On Bikes go by, is dyke still offensive? Taking a derogatory word and making it a rallying call and point of pride ... can be done to any word. Perhaps it's all in the context and the intent, or the attitudes promoted by the statement itself. Who is the best person to judge someone's intent?

Can you say the N-word as a compliment? Why, or why not is that possible? Can you bring yourself to say it out loud? Ni... Ni... Ni... What happens?

One of my favorite bands: Niggers With Attitudes. There, I said it! You can punish now, even though I said it with admiration, love, envy, and respect.
[/color][/size]

Why don't I think this is funny? I remember the climate prior to, and during the Civi Rights movement. I've never laughed and never intend to. Too much suffering, tears and needless deaths.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 01:54 pm
What you said. D'art. It's not much different from what goes on inside a family. We may fight between ourselves, and use names, but let somebody outside the family try it, and it's a different story. Part of it has to do with the fact that we have a family history, and know each other. However, in an outside world, Jews and Japs are ususally referred to as that by people outside their groups, and rightly take offense. Because there is almost always an attitude that comes along with it, and that attitude quite often is one of superiority and contempt. Usually held by people who are below either.

On the original topic (sorry). Last night, on the PBS Newshour, I heard an interview of Thomas friedman, who writes for the NY Times. He was talking about Iraq, and all the looting. He said one of the biggest sellers on the street were tv dishes, and that when electricity came back, all these people would be watching CNN, MSNBC, Aljazeera and other arabic station, but not Fox News. They don't watch Fox News.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 02:14 pm
The don't watch Fox News...hahahahahahaha!

But they do watch CNN....hahahahahahahaha!

Thank god it's Friday, if I laugh at work Monday through Thursday I risk getting laid off on Friday. Smile
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 02:36 pm
Gee, cjhsa, I hadn't realized you were an authority on what the Iraqis watch. Thomas friedman had just returned from there, and has spent a lot of years covering that area.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 02:40 pm
mamajuana wrote:
What you said. D'art. It's not much different from what goes on inside a family. We may fight between ourselves, and use names, but let somebody outside the family try it, and it's a different story.

That's it in a nutshell, mamajuana. I could care less what outsiders think I should tolerate as funny or non-objectionable. I'm sure that's true for most other people, too...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 02:48 pm
Tell me mama, why would Friedman make such a stupid comment if he wasn't getting paid to say it? Get a clue.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 03:27 pm
Though I normally don't like to generalize, I tend to notice that conservatives seem to have all the answers. While I have no way of knowing whether Friedman is right about what the Iraqis are (and aren't watching), how can you be so positive, cjhsa, that he's wrong?

Now, if a reliable person, say, Michael Savage, said that they watch his show all the time, I'd have to say there was a difference of opinion on the subject of Iraqi viewing habits.

OK, that was a nasty dig. I apologize...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 09:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Tell me mama, why would Friedman make such a stupid comment if he wasn't getting paid to say it? Get a clue.

Yeah, you've GOT to be right, because the other alternative is he said it because its true.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:52 pm
Fox House News Band
New Haven wrote:

Why don't I think this is funny? I remember the climate prior to, and during the Civi Rights movement. I've never laughed and never intend to. Too much suffering, tears and needless deaths.

New Haven, I completely agree with you. The 'tyranny of the majority' is something with which we simply have to contend, however, I don't understand how anyone with any heart could just not get it Exclamation
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:50 pm
New Haven wrote:
I agree completely, ... wasn't meant to be funny.
Just putting some ideas out there to consider and really think.

Any word can be used positively or negatively,
so it's all in the context.
0 Replies