Fox News House Band Goes Too Far

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:16 pm
We all need to shop at the A2K store....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:20 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Craven and all,

I am not one to go around and sling racial insults at people. I was just trying to get a feel for what people thought of the term "Jap" as compared to some of the nasties that were subsequently mentioned. I personally wouldn't put them in the same category, but that is MO. Everyone is entitled to their own. As far as Ted Nugent calling himself a nigger, that's his O and I don't care to hear it.

My stance is the same no matter which side of the political spectrum you reside, as an entertainer, shut up and play.

So, didya get a "feel"?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:23 pm
You still trying to pick a fight? I take offense....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You still trying to pick a fight? I take offense....

Is that a yes, or no?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:14 pm
What I got a feel for is that you take offense at things that shouldn't even offend you, or that might offend someone, even if you're not sure. In that vein, I'm naming the phenomena after you, a "snoodism".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:18 pm
cjhsa - i can assure you that there are people who find the term jap offensive.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:28 pm
No disagreement here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:35 am
Hey, sport, you said you posed the inquiry to get a "feel" for how and why people find the term "jap" offensive. I simply asked you if you were successful. You apparently either don't understand the question, are intentionally being belligerent, or got an overwhelming indication that your inquiry was stupid in the first place (or maybe a combination of all three).

Just because you're so far out in left field with your original post about "Duh, I just can't figure out why people find the term Jap offensive", don't blame me. Perhaps it was your upbringing.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:02 am
I think it is fair to say that some feel strongly that any term or phrase used to identify an ethnic group other than the "official" term is offensive. Some terms are more universally and strongly considered offensive than others. I might use the word "Jew" as shorthand for "Jewish", and intend nothing derogatory, but some people might reasonably take offense, even though none was meant. However, if I used the terms "hebe" or "kike", I ought to expect any and every Jewish person to be offended, and I ought to expect to be denounced for it.

My point is that there are some grey areas and some that are black and white (no pun intended). I tend to think the term "Jap" is akin to the term "Jew"; it can be offensive to some, but not to all, nor do I think that anyone who ever uses it ought to know it will offend in the way terms like the others written above will.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:37 am
Scrat wrote:
I think it is fair to say that some feel strongly that any term or phrase used to identify an ethnic group other than the "official" term is offensive. Some terms are more universally and strongly considered offensive than others. I might use the word "Jew" as shorthand for "Jewish", and intend nothing derogatory, but some people might reasonably take offense, even though none was meant. However, if I used the terms "hebe" or "kike", I ought to expect any and every Jewish person to be offended, and I ought to expect to be denounced for it.

My point is that there are some grey areas and some that are black and white (no pun intended). I tend to think the term "Jap" is akin to the term "Jew"; it can be offensive to some, but not to all, nor do I think that anyone who ever uses it ought to know it will offend in the way terms like the others written above will.

That's tripe. Show me a Japanese person who isn't offended at being called "Jap".
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:17 am
snood - I understand that you disagree, and can only respectfully suggest that you consider the possibility that not everyone sees the world as you think they do.

FYI: I found a discussion of this question elsewhere on-line, and found this response among those there:

Quote:
It probably is offensive, but most younger Japanese (read: Japanese Americans) are not offended by it, and we use it among ourselves, despite its derogatory origins. After all, it's only a shortened form of the word itself.

POSTED 2/2/2003

Kaori, San Francisco, CA, United States, 26, Female, Asian, research, Over 4 Years of College, Upper middle class, Mesg ID 1213200280922
http://www.yforum.com/best020203.html

Now, is my point of view really "tripe"? Because if it is, I guess you need to contact Kaori and tell her she is wrong about her opinion as a Japanese American.

Personally, I would expect most persons of Japanese lineage to find the term offensive, and do not use it. But that's not the same thing as believing that everyone views the term as I do.

Interestingly, Kaori's comments above seem to suggest that this word is being used amongst Japanese Americans in the same way that the "n" word seems to be fair game if used amongst blacks. I would prefer a single standard of conduct for all; either a word is verboten, or it is fair game.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:56 am
Yeah, there is movement over the last few years amongst blacks to restigmatize the word, and rightfully so, in my estimation. According to that school of thought (to which I ascribe), use of the word "nig_er" among blacks bespeaks an internalized self-hatred, and not some new conservative enlightenment against the hordes of "pc" people.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:05 pm
I was watching some comedy piece recently where one white guy was hanging out with a group of his black buddies who were all calling each other the n-word. The white guy got caught up in the moment and used it, and it was as if he had cut a fart. I think this was on SNL but don't recall for sure.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:21 pm
There's also a scene in the movie, "Fear of a Black Hat" where the members of NWH are throwing around the "n" word amongst themselves, when white rapper, "Vanilla Sherbet" chimes in like he's just one of the boyz. They usher the documentary crew out of the room and you hear them beating the @#$% out of VS.

I love that film. It is to rap what "This Is Spinal Tap" is to heavy metal.

(OOOOH! And I see from their site that it's finally coming out on DVD! Yeehah!) Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:43 pm
Come on, call me Paddy, i dare ya . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:51 pm
don't wanna getcha all worked up, there, dog. good german/english/scots/swiss/etc. like me can't stand to see the paddy waggin'...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:54 pm
Oooooooooooooooooooo . . . i'm gonna git that doggie . . .

(heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . . )

okbye
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:54 pm
fox news house band
snood wrote:
Yeah, there is movement over the last few years amongst blacks to restigmatize the word, and rightfully so, in my estimation. According to that school of thought (to which I ascribe), use of the word "nig_er" among blacks bespeaks an internalized self-hatred, and not some new conservative enlightenment against the hordes of "pc" people.

Snood is absolutely correct on this one. The joking about his post is ignorant and offensive. It's clear that either you get it or you don't, and some of you apparently just don't.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:13 pm
For the record, I never joked about his post, if that's what you imply. I simply injected a related topic.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:17 pm
Ditto. SweetC is being overly protective and without cause.
0 Replies