English is a messed up language...

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:48 am
Well, i've paid my time, haven't i?

I deserve a real argument, not simple contradiction, don't i?

(Thought you had been referring to the Monty Python skit.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:46 am
course I was
0 Replies

TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:11 am
the reason for these problems is basically because our meanings for words have changed but our language hasn't for example a pineapple is called as such because it was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones). When European explorers discovered this tropical fruit they called them pineapples (term first recorded in that sense in 1664) because of their resemblance to what is now known as the pine cone. The term pine cone was first recorded in 1694, and was used to replace the original meaning of pineapple.

also we're not the only language with these irregularities or to use apple for different things, for example in french the word for potato (pomme de terre, i think) translates literally as apple of earth. a boxing ring used to be round, a circle drawn in dirt or sand, but for one reason or another became square, i think so the ropes would be put in place more easily.

quicksand is named as such because it's as though it's alive, quick being old english for living (Quick and the dead basically means living and dead.)

apart from all these things this article is still pretty cool.
roger

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:08 pm
@TNTABC123,
Hey, that's interesting.
TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:42 pm
@roger,
all the things like teacher taught then butcher should baught i think are mainly due to the fact english as a language are basically one big melting pot, with influences from the native language of our colonies, viking invaders, saxon invaders, latin and greek influences and many others.
0 Replies