English is a messed up language...

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 04:25 pm
George Carlin would love this thread . . . he made a mint doing language humor . . .

Personally, i've always felt cheated when buying shampoo, why won't anyone sell me real poo?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 04:30 pm
If being serious for a split second isn't considered a mortal sin here, I'll add this. I have actually heard semi-literate people use the word 'amend' as in 'I made an amend to him because I had harmed him' in the singular. Shocking but a true fact.

(And what, pray, is a false fact?)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 06:58 am
Love the shampoo thingy, Setana! ...And MA, I'm not quite sure what you'd call a "false fact," but they certainly aren't too hard to find on the Internet. Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 06:51 am
Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"? Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:08 am
I've always been amused by redundancies, e.g. 'free gift' or ' false pretenses.' Isn't a gift free by definition? And what other kinds of pretenses, besides false, are there? 'Personal opinion' is another bagaboo. If I have an opinion, it is obviously personal, not someone else's.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:17 am
..Why do we say something is out of whack? What's a whack?
..Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
..If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
..Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
..When someone asks you, "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in ... what happens to the other penny?
..Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist but a person who drives a race car not called a racist?
..Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?
..Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
.."I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence?
..If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
..if the Jacksonville Jaguars are known as the "Jags" and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are known as the "Bucs", what does that make the Tennessee Titans?
..If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea ... does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 02:02 pm
Which would you rather be given: Short Shrift or Long Shrift?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:26 pm
An acquaintance of mine -- well, actually, she's an acquaintance of several others as well, but anyway, as I was saying, there's this well acquainted personage who is all the time using the expression "in actual fact", which, to be honest, drives me up the flippin' wall and makes me wanna ask "Don't you mean 'a factual act' like, for instance if I was to belt you one every time you say 'in actual fact'? -- but I don't -- say it or belt her, neither. But it really does grind my crank when she starts off like that because I know she's about to contradict somthing I'd just got done saying.

I notice this a lot in folks; whenever I say something, they come back with a buncha facts. Well I don't want facts -- I don't need facts -- I already got 'em or I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. Because, in fact, actual or otherwise, I go strictly by what Mark Twain said, "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you want."

But then, like Groucho Marx put it , "these days everybody wants to get in the act; they just don't wanna get caught in it."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 05:32 pm
Yes, indeedy, Debacle, yes indeedy. People who say "in actual fact" should be flayed and filleted. Apropos of that, I always assume that anyone who begins to tell me something by first saying, "I'll tell you the truth..." or "To be honest with you..." is undoubtedly a liar.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 05:55 pm
Debacle, nice one.

The rough and tumble of English grammar. You give another oxymoron and I'll smack you in the mouth mate. You callin my dichotomy false or what?

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch, French by surgery for beginners.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:56 pm
THIS - Monger, is a wonderful conversation.
I always need to laugh, I am too serious, and
this is a hoot every time I see something new
added.
Gautam - your additions have me in stitches.
Oh, the doctor is practicing, you are definetely
not kidding on that one. The problem is, he is
practicing on me Rolling Eyes
You are all wonderful & have wonderful sense
of humor, I love ya for it!
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:20 am
Its aardvark but it pays well.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:39 am
I've been tutoring immigrants in English for more than ten years. Try explaining some of the following:

You can sit up while you're sitting down.
Slow up and slow down mean the same thing.
Things can be a little big or pretty ugly. Things cannot be a big little or ugly pretty.
You get in a car but on a bus.
You are in the street, out on the street, or on the block.
Come on up and come up mean the same thing. Come on has a whole different meaning.
Someone who says "I bet" doesn't believe you. Someone who says "you bet" does.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:05 am
Roberta wrote:
You get in a car but on a bus.

Because you can stand on a bus it uses the same preposition as a surface. Since you can't stand inside most cars this preposition would be inappropriate.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:14 am
Then why do get "on" a flight - u cant stand in there!! Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:31 am
Yes you can! lol
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:37 am
Wink I think Craven's right. Another example: You can get on the back of a truck, but you only get in the front (driver's section).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:46 am
Nah, I'm with Roboita. I never get on a bus. Afraid I might fall off the roof. Allus gets into it instead. And I try to speak that way, too. "It was crowded in the bus this morning" not "It was crowded on the bus."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:06 am
Too much, the Magic Bus ! ! !
Seven and six pence every day
Just to ride to my baby . . .
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:34 pm
Pronounciation
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble but not you
On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.
Well done! And now you wish perhaps
To learn of less fearful traps.
Beware of heard - a a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead. It's said like bed not bead -
For goodness sake don' call it deed.
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear.
And then there's does and rose and lose -
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword
And do and go and thwart and cart -
And yet I've hardly made a start.

Anon
0 Replies