snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:44 pm
Chumly wrote:
Nope because unless or until you can demonstrate one theology to be merited beyond another all must be treated equally from the persptove of your open-minded pretext. It does not matter one iota what name you give them.

You introduced this whole ultimatum about what I "have to demonstrate" - this is your trip, not mine. I opened this thread to discuss things pertaining to spirit, not to joust with you. It doesn't matter to me what you think I have, or have not established here. Now, can you go on and claim victory in this particular contest, and not continue creating contention?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:19 pm
- You have in fact failed in being open-minded.
- You have in fact said to me "how ridiculous (my) thoughts or ideas or beliefs are".
- You are in fact responsible for this thread going "to hell".
Snood wrote:
These discussions are simply more fun to me if openmindedness is at least attempted. When people come around suggesting how ridiculous another's thoughts or ideas or beliefs are, everything goes to hell (no pun intended).
The fact of the matter is: the popularity or lack thereof of a given theology is not a legitimate justification for or against open-mindedness of said theology.

Further you are wholly wrong that I introduced this so-called "whole ultimatum about what I have to demonstrate" as you asked me:
Snood wrote:
But wouldn't you agree that someone would actually have to present themselves as actually professing a belief, before we can judge whether or not someone else is open to it?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:19 am
Chumly wrote:
Nope because unless or until you can demonstrate one theology to be merited beyond another all must be treated equally from the persptove of your open-minded pretext. It does not matter one iota what name you give them; "hypothetical" or any other moniker.

While I agree with lots of what you say...I certainly disagree with this thought thread.

It not only is possible to be open-minded and still give various "explanations for REALITY" different amounts of credence...it is almost incumbent upon an open-minded person to do so.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:18 am
Re: A life without spirituality.
snood wrote:
Thanks for a thoughtful post, Rosborne. I certainly don't have all the answers.

That's ok. I wasn't looking for any answers.

snood wrote:
There are a lot of things that create in me a sense of wonder.

Me too. Smile

Best Regards,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:26 am
The logical conclusion of a contention that one must "keep an open mind" with regard to all explanations of a phenomenon, including explanations derived from poofism, is the rejection of explanations from naturalism, just another example of having a closed mind. But more than that, the logical conclusion of "always keeping an open mind" is the abandoment of empirical method as being not definitely conclusive even in examples in which the principles of replication, falsification and predictive capacity are all met in the course of an empirical examination based upon naturalism. The final, absurd conclusion of a mindless insistence on "open-mindedness" is to be uncertain of eveything, and certain of nothing. In short, it is a prescription for self-imposed ignorance.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:50 am
To me, having an open mind means being open to considering an idea, it doesn't necessarily mean having to accept every idea as a reasonable possibility. If our minds weren't closed to some degree on various issues, we wouldn't be able to make decisions. And that would be like living life like a deer in the headlights.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:56 am
rosborne979 wrote:
And that would be like living life like a deer in the headlights.

A marvelously felicitous expression of the situation.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:29 am
I think openmindedness is generally a good thing... maybe not in the conduct of the business of one's everyday life (although that's a thought), but definitely when in open discussion together with a diverse group.

-part of me can't even believe I have to make a point of saying that...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:32 am
To all,

I have expressed the view here that "spirituality" constitutes a move away from "self". As a matter of interest, how many would agree or identify with this condition ?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:44 am
fresco wrote:
To all,

I have expressed the view here that "spirituality" constitutes a move away from "self". As a matter of interest, how many would agree or identify with this condition ?

I think that when I am least selfish and self centered, I am probably more what I understand to be "spiritual".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:47 am
Setanta wrote:
The logical conclusion of a contention that one must "keep an open mind" with regard to all explanations of a phenomenon, including explanations derived from poofism, is the rejection of explanations from naturalism, just another example of having a closed mind. But more than that, the logical conclusion of "always keeping an open mind" is the abandoment of empirical method as being not definitely conclusive even in examples in which the principles of replication, falsification and predictive capacity are all met in the course of an empirical examination based upon naturalism. The final, absurd conclusion of a mindless insistence on "open-mindedness" is to be uncertain of eveything, and certain of nothing. In short, it is a prescription for self-imposed ignorance.

No fair...you have a head start!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
fresco wrote:
Quote:

I am not sure how to read this. If you mean a move away from self, as in training to disregard the inhibitions of a "self", as explained in eastern philosophy, to experience truth without prejudice, then I can identify with your view.

But if you mean that spirituality constitutes a move from the self towards other "entities" of spiritual nature that govern and create, then I cannot identify with it, simply because I do not understand the notion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:55 am
I see that Frank is about his usual business of substituting personal invective for a cogent response.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:55 am
Fresco - I think there is a wealth of potential ideas there - in the notion of moving from "self" toward "spiritual".
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:56 am
fresco wrote:
To all,

I disagree. Spirituality appears to me to be egotistical in nature and in practice. It appears to be a pursuit of something more than what life is currently offering, and in that regard I feel sorry for those who need to go "there". My plate is full with both my eyes open and both my feet on the ground at all times.

I have the sneaking suspicion the term 'spirituality' is being used synonymously as 'religion', with the hope that the attendant baggage the latter word carries gets lost.

May I ask those with spirituality: Are there specific personalities who people your spiritual place? Do they look similar to Christian characters?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:58 am
Setanta wrote:
I see that Frank is about his usual business of substituting personal invective for a cogent response.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
I've always thought of spirituality as becoming intimately familiar with the self, thereby attaining a knowledge about it that enables you to distance yourself from it at need or want.

In the whole it is a process of moving away, but it is not through distancing, but through demystifying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:02 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Tsk, tsk indeed--you should learn to remove the vicious aspect from your response to criticism. You do yourself no favor by using personal attack as your response to having the flaws in your simplistic views pointed out to you.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
Quote:
tycoon wrote:
I disagree. Spirituality appears to me to be egotistical in nature and in practice. It appears to be a pursuit of something more than what life is currently offering, and in that regard I feel sorry for those who need to go "there". My plate is full with both my eyes open and both my feet on the ground at all times.

I have the sneaking suspicion the term 'spirituality' is being used synonymously as 'religion', with the hope that the attendant baggage the latter word carries gets lost.

May I ask those with spirituality: Are there specific personalities who people your spiritual place? Do they look similar to Christian characters?

Are you saying we should be grateful what what we have? If so, toward whom should we direct that gratitude? Any suggestions?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:11 am
Quote:
My plate is full with both my eyes open and both my feet on the ground at all times.

Curios notion. Maybe spirituality isn't more on the plate, but just a bigger plate?
0 Replies