GREY SQUIRRELS TO BE SHOT ON SIGHT !

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:42 am
Might I suggest we die all the gray squirrels red. That would solve the problem.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
I dont understand this. All the squirrels I ever ran over are red.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 02:15 pm
Most of the squirrels my dogs try to drag off of the fence are black. Great silhouettes.

Vile little rats with fancy tails.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 02:29 pm
Ain't a whole lotta useable meat to a squirrel, whatever its color. Gotta shoot quite few of 'em to get enough for a decent feed, and at that, ya wanna do head shots, so as not to waste any of what what little meat the critters offer. Most any recipe that works with rabbit turns out just fine with squirrel, provided you got enough of 'em cleaned and dressed.

Oh, and aside to Set - big dogs find 'em real entertainin' too - fun to watch, and if a catch results from the chase, the next part is over real quick and fairly clean ... mosta the time, anyhow. Sometimes it takes a little longer and gets a bit messy; guess it depends on the pup's mood at the time of capture.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
I have had wild squierrel. It's actually not bad and one squirell is enouh for a meal! Here's some tasty squirrel recipes: http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
can't wait for "bailey and cleo" to visit to teach the squirrels some respect .
i don't mind too much the sqirrels digging up and replanting some bulbs , or eating some plants . what annoys me is when the bite off the top of a flower and DON'T eat it - wastefull animals .
now that we also have three rabbits lurking around there won't be much left in the garden.
rats , nasty rats ! ...and carriers of diseases )
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:30 pm
A squirrel weighs about a pound.

A squirrel can eat a pound of unshelled sunflower seeds every week.

We've graduated to "squirrel proof" feeders, but the little darlings keep checking, just to keep abreast of possible new developments.

I knew squirrels who used to jump from a swing set frame to the seat of the swing and sway back and forth, back and forth.

Squirrels are not contemplative animals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:31 pm
Kid in knew when i was just a lad would ride off on his bike after school, headed for the woods. He'd bag six or eight squirrels with his 22 long, and bring them home to be stewed. So long as one is willing to do the work of huntin' 'em, and cleanin' 'em, i'm happy to eat the result.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
Noddy, is THIS your "squirrel proof" bird feeder?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8356021994820049888&q=squirrel
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:03 pm
Lord E--

The first squirrel proof feeder I bought was hideously expensive. Then someone gave the plans to an enterprising easterner and the price was halved.

The last squirrel proof feeders I bought (we now own seven) were only $16.95.

Let's hear it for Better Mousetraps!

I presume your squirrel has made the British Wheaties box?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:26 pm
That particular squirrel probably made it, Noddy, but the squirrels within a mile or so of my home have a pretty rough time.

You see, I have one of these..........

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/g4.jpg

Please note the large bell. I put this on her collar soon after we got her from the Rescue Centre, as she caught and killed four squirrels in her first week of freedom.
The bell acts as an early warning system for the furry little blighters, and she hasn't had any since.

She tries though.....god, does she try.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:33 pm
Lord E--

I'm impressed at her prowess. She deserved four kills after years of circling after a mechanical rabbit.

Mhy dear little Iffy has been known to chase a squirrel for four--even five--brisk steps.

She's much more energetic about bears.
0 Replies

littlek part deux

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:34 pm
What a cutie-patootie!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:32 am
Dang, Ellpus, your doggie is a looker. Smile

We had a visit from a squirrel yesterday (I should post this in my wildlife topic). It was, erm, looking at the recycling. Probably searching for deposit bottles.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:14 pm
spendius wrote:
How could anybody shoot that little thing just because it's grey.

The gray squirrel is an alien to Great Britain as the English sparrow or house finch is an alien in the U.S. Both are bad for their respective ecosystems.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:03 pm
BBC-SCOTLAND reports :
Classes in counting red squirrels

"The Highlands is a stronghold for red squirrels
An army of volunteers will get training in how to survey Highland and Moray woodlands for red squirrels.
Juliet Robinson, a newly appointed Forestry Commission Scotland red squirrel conservation officer, will lead workshops on 11 and 12 July"

now here is a job i might be able to handle :
"Forestry Commission Scotland red squirrel conservation officer" .
i've only had experience in counting black squirrels , but i think i can adjust to the red colour .
hbg

...CENSUS FOR RED SQUIRRELS...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:36 am
I don't know where reds live. Never seen any around here.

I trap the grey's and take them to a park nearby. They eat my tomatoes.

Little buggers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:48 am
Quote:
A DEADLY virus could wipe out one of Britain's rare red squirrel populations.

The warning came after vets confirmed a red squirrel had died from the squirrel pox virus in Ainsdale, Merseyside.

The virus is carried by the more common grey squirrels, but does not affect them.

It is passed on to the red squirrels, which have no immunity to the disease. Steve White, conservation officer at the Lancashire Wildlife Trust, said: "It is a very worrying situation. There is always a lot of praying involved in red squirrel conservation.
[...]
"The discovery of this disease is not always disastrous - and we are hoping that we will be able to contain it."
[...]
An outbreak of the virus in the same area two years ago killed around 50 of the 1,500-strong red squirrel population. Mr White said: "If this thing gets hold of the red squirrel population, then it will kill them - and kill them very quickly."

Squirrel pox virus is one of the main causes of the decline of red squirrels. Symptoms include lethargy and scabs and lesions around the mouth and eyes.

source: Manchester Evenining News, First Wedensday Edition, 19.07.2006, page 19
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
"...There is always a lot of praying involved in red squirrel conservation. ."

wouldn't a vet be more useful in controlling the disease ?

btw someone must be doing a lot of praying for the black squirrels in our neighbourhood ; they sure are multiplying quickly Smile .
hbg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:59 am
A cadre of cats has rid our neighborhood of a zillion squirrels.

Now, we need some dogs...
0 Replies