Vanishing Languages

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:52 pm
Letty, that's what I thought. You do not strike me as a screaming person :-)

Walter, very good idea! I would, of course, change the address to 'Schätzle' ;-)

Letty, a German dog says 'wau wau'
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:57 pm
in Pennsylfawnisch Deitsch a wanton witch is a 'yuuscht hexe'
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:58 pm
Wow, that doesn't sound like anything I know, farmerman!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:02 pm
Oh, my Gawd, Urs. Wau--Wau? Here's an interesting thing I found on Google:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/09/1073437456367.html?from=storyrhs

Wish that I could speak another language. Americans have not had to do so and I think that is why we tend to be monolinguistic, unless of course the desire to learn is there. McTag does rather well (as least I assume he does)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
i found one with the animals of the world. SOmebody has waaay too much time on their hands nes cez pah?

http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/animals/animals.html

anybody reading Hagar the Horrible, will note that his duck (a norse Duck ) says kvak kvak-and this is, apparently correct. Wow the research that Mort Drucker does
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
Amazing, farmerman. I need to ask all of you, especially farmerman, about the fellow who was called the Great Impersonator...back later...happy hour.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:52 pm
you mean the guy that Tony Curtis or Leonardo di Caprio played?., I forget his name, Ill bet Lightwizaed knows.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:15 pm
Somebody has way to much time on their hands. Is that supposed to be an insult? It's not very original.

The man that I am talking about supposedly forged Vermeer's art to fool Hitler. Sorry that I can't supply more information. A search revealed that Vermeer himself was a man of mystery.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:26 pm
and one thing leads to another...delft tiles...Vermeer Van Delft. Odd, that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:00 pm
Letty, I wasnt talking about you and the "waay too much free time" I was talking about this perfesser in Georgetown who made a web site of animal sounds as pronounced in many languages. Im sorry if I offended, I did not mean to. I wish we could just speak because writing makes one sound so damn pompous and I am sometimes (well many times) coming off snotty when I dont mean to. Please forgive I besseeech thee (and Ive never ever besauched before)

Oh, youre talking about Han van Meegeren. Yeh whatta dude. He was so good at faking Vermeers early works (the Jesus pictures) that he was able to sell them to Goering as real Vermeers. He was then tried at nuremburg 9I think ) for "selling" national treasures of Holland to the nAzis. So, in his defense he actually painted and aged a 'Vermeer" in court. I think he was still convicted, i forget. WHAT a movie that would have made. no?

Letty Vermeers real name was Johann van der Meer, I think he shortened it . He lived in Delft but that wasnt in his name.

I sometimes get that way with one thought kindling another. it usually happens while Im driving and I have to write and drive at hiway speeds
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
Thank you, farmerman. We always need to resolve these things, I think. and that is the man of whom I was thinking. The very first time in history that being duplicitous is acceptable.

Now if you could explain about hand colored gravure, I would sing you a song in English...<smile>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
see letty , you went to the well once too often. I have no idea about hand colored gravure. I used to do aquatints with hand washes of color but this isnt what I think you want. Gravure implies engraving I think. Send out a call for vivien or portal star, theyve done engravings I believe.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
<smile> seraglio vs intaglio. and I recall a funny animal exchange.

The rabbit and the buzzard and the camel.

The rabbit and the camel and the buzzard went into the business of waste.They made a fortune. The only one not affected by new found wealth was the rabbit. He called upon his friends to inquire about his product which had made them all wealthy.

The butler answered the door and explained:

Mr. BuzzARD is out in the yard.

Mr. CamEL is out by the well.

To which the rabbit replied:

Just tell them that Mr. rabIT is here with the ****.

Goodnight, I love you guys.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:41 am
I think it's a shame that languages die out - in every one there's probably unique aspects that will never be studied or understood comparatively by anyone still alive.
0 Replies

mutwillig hexe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:12 am
yay
nice that i got some life out of this thread but i love the umlaut as my pronunciation is fairly good and we use kissing bits of paper whilst wearing bright lippy as a way of seeing wat shapes we shud be making boys look quite comicval going oohhh eeer eeeeeeee whilst wearing bright red lippy!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:15 pm
Cool, they could use some of those prints to show us unwashed ones how to pronounce all those strange front rounded vowels. Smile
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:40 pm
Letty,

Found this just today - good thread!

By the way, don't let McTag hear you call him American again - he's proudly Scottish and lives in Manchester, England!

Some of us Brits do realise there's a great big continent where people share a lot of our beliefs, just the other side of the water...

the narrrower bit of water, over which they speak different languages!!!

KP
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:46 pm
K.P. Very Happy Did I call McTag an American? Please apologize to him for me.

Just kidding, Pete. Actually, I meant to say that he had learned German quite well. Still laughin'

Glad to see you back, Brit. People were wondering about you.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 05:53 pm
Wow! Where has this thread been hiding? Can you believe I just now tonight -- a year after the fact -- came across it? Nothing to say until I've had a chance to catch up on what others have said already. It's so embarrasing to make a "profound" statement only to discover that something very much like it was already posted nine months ago by a person far more articulate thanI.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
Andrew, blame it on that Mexican. Where is he anyway?
0 Replies