SUNBURN ___PAIN___LOTS OF PAIN

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:37 pm
OK spare me the lectures, I was on the fantail of a boat in blazing blue May skies. too early for sunburn sez I. Not so , sez sun. Im in AGONY. Shall I shoot myself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 27
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:38 pm
nah

just rub it with some sandpaper

oh.. glad you had fun. ;-)
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:45 pm
I thought you were supposed to take a hot shower then dry off with the sandpaper.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:01 pm
(I keep falling for joke posts -- I hope this isn't another such.)

You could try soaking in a bath of tepid tea water. Fill bath with water just warm enough to feel comfortable to you and maybe a dozen orange pekoe tea bags. That was my grandmother's solution to sunburns, and it's worked for me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:01 pm
oooooooooooooooooohhhh, ouchies! The first sunburn of the season!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:04 pm
My mother used to gently sponge vinegar over it. I have no idea if it works and it makes you smell like a pickle.

I recall Mr B wrapping my legs in cold, wet towels one horrible night after a full day on the beach in Cozumel. It worked; I didn't blister or peel although I was a bit sun sensitive for the rest of our vacation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:10 pm
TEA means boiling hot water, and were still at our frinds and theyre in another room playing bridge(I hate bridge). I cant lay on my back or nothin.

Ill try the tea. How many bags for a bathtub. I bag per cup and one for the tub. We brought rooiboos and thats just a grass that Im sure will turn me even redder.

Im loade up wit aspirin and some kind of sunburn creme. I swear it smells like VICKS. What a Schlameil. My face looks like a raccoon cause I had my big pilot glasses shades on.

Even plain cool water burns .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:14 pm
mild saline solution?

I'm serious. The saline solution you shoot up your nose or wash your contact lenses in. It's roughly 1/4 tsp to 6 ozs. mIX UP A BATCH AND TEST IT OUT. <grrrr. dam caps>. You can add some baking soda to the mix.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:18 pm
well, Im sorta near an ocean of some size here lilk. Were not too far from the 10PPK salt line.MAybe Ill just walk off the dock and splash around . too far up the BAy for really big sharks (I think)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:19 pm
I'm guessing sea water is about right.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:21 pm
Ill snek out. Nobodyll miss me with that wild bridge game going on. The waters still pretty cold so no jellyfish yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:22 pm
Oh yeah, I was there at a jelly infestation! No swimming. Are you on the bay or on the ocean?

Oh, and great whites can be found off cape cod - you're not too far north.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:24 pm
Buttermilk is a soothing remedy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:25 pm
But, salt and baking soda are a lot cheaper.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:26 pm
Aspirin was good. If you got some oatmeal, make a paste and put it
on your face. Aloe Vera does help and so does Arnica gel.

Various Natural-Home Made Remedies

1. Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar to sunburn.
2. Mix 10 ounces Non-fat Dry Milk, 2 tablespoons salt and 25 ounces water. Saturate cloth and apply to sunburn 20 minutes.
3. Apply mayonnaise as a skin cream to sunburn.
4. Use Aloe plant, or pure aloe vera gel.
5. Apply peanut oil to sun-burned area(s).
6. Apply thin slices of cold cucumbers, apples, or potato directly to the skin.
7. Apply cold, plain yogurt, then rinse with cool water.
8. Apply cold, used tea bags to sun-burned eyelids to relieve pain and swelling.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:31 pm
Nope, Im goin for a swim NOW, LilK, Im on the Chesapeake down near Rock Hall. just S of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal.

See you in the AM and Ill report back on the salt water and maybe the tea thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:33 pm
Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:38 pm
Oh, poor baby, hope the salt and/or tea work... (memories of being lobster red in Mexico...)

also of Lucy Riccardo in Beverly Hills..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:36 am
well, the water really didnt make any difference , I sprayed some Nupercainol which sorta numbed it till I fell asleep, even the covers felt like sandpaper. Tis AM its a bit better and starting to itch. . Today I wear a Tee shirt and lotsa sunscreen..
Its quite foggy on the water this AM, thats a bad sign that shes gonna be hot this PM.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:02 am
Depending on the shirt, there might not be that much sun protection. A white T-shirt that gets wet is only SPF 2 or 3.
0 Replies