SUNBURN ___PAIN___LOTS OF PAIN

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:03 am
7 Words: Banana Boat Soothe-A-Caine Spray Gel -- you can get it at most any pharmacy.

This stuff is great. Cools, numbs and actually reduces the redness of the day after because it stops the burning. The most important thing to do after finding out you've been sunburned is to stop the burning. By not doing anything with it, you are actually continuing to bake for some time. Nice thought, huh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:12 pm
I thought something smelled good..
Today we went out and I suited up with a goretex garment. We found an old village built by watermen as a winter duck hunting encampment it was a series of shacks on stilts. Most were collapsed but , during their time, probably the 1920s, these camps produced huge amounts of duck meat for restaurants in Philly, Baltimore, and DC. It was quite an unnerving experience, here was a sizable population of people who lived on the water for a number of months each year just to earn a few pennies selling game to "buy boats"

It was like a chapter out of Michener.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:07 pm
I was worried that your tee-shirt idea was going to be bad news. Glad you wore the gortex.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:14 pm
I stayed in the pilot house pretty much and then we put up the fantail awning so nobody got burnt. Today, on the Chesapeake, it was a hazier hotter day than yesterday. When the sun reflects off the water its like a whole passel of lasers
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:06 pm
Haziness doesn't prevent you from burning. Glad you played it safe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:40 am
My turn. GodDAMN. Pure stupidity on my part, spent the day at the pool, assiduously smeared sunscreen all over sozlet but didn't do anything for myself (except for nose and top of forehead, where I tend to burn -- I thought the rest of me was tan enough already that I was fine. I know, terrible 80's thinking, you don't have to tell me). After a while I thought "hmm, that's starting to be a not-good color" and put the suncreen on my shoulders/ arms. You can see very clearly where I half-assedly stopped, as it then turns a nice lobstery shade. Didn't put anything on my back, and YOWZA. It's amazing how even my softest silk charmeuse pajamas feel like sandpaper.

Sozlet's fine except for her cheeks -- she kept going underwater, then rubbing the water off of her eyes, about a zillion times, and must have rubbed off all the sunscreen (applied twice as it was, need to do it more I guess).

Anyway, ow, but could be worse. It'll be fine by tomorrow, probably.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:59 am
Bella Dea wrote:
7 Words: Banana Boat Soothe-A-Caine Spray Gel -- you can get it at most any pharmacy.

This stuff is great. Cools, numbs and actually reduces the redness of the day after because it stops the burning. The most important thing to do after finding out you've been sunburned is to stop the burning. By not doing anything with it, you are actually continuing to bake for some time. Nice thought, huh?

See above.

It's the best.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
Usually people don't believe me:
tomatoes help when you have a sunburn.
Take ripe tomatoes, cut in half and rub the juice into your skin.Repeat as often you like.
It cools and soothes the skin, hardly ever peeling.
We are all very fair and it helped every time.
0 Replies