dupre

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:01 am
Great story!
0 Replies

whenlovehurts

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:27 am
But, we've had a pretty good weekend. We went to the beach (Santa Cruz) and the boards walk. I enjoyed it very much.

Even though, on our way home we argued for a bit. It's about our trip to Europe, where we were initially going to stay at his parent's house and yes they would be there at the same time. Well now that I am no longer welcome in his parents house (per his dad), we got to figure something out and find asolution. He said I got to help him and I said how, he said give me ideas. So I gave him a few ideas:

We could stay at our parents house, not have to pay anything (money saver)
We could rent a hotel (maybe a better idea, but we'll spend more money) or
We may want to go somewhere else instead. Vacation somewhere else.

He doesn't like any of the ideas and here are his reasons:

First one, he doesn't want to stay at my parent's house, because people would talk about him staying at his in-laws, and not with his parents. -okay understandable
Renting a hotel - He doesn't like the idea because then his entire family (uncles, aunts, grandma, etc) would turn their back at him for not staying with his parents. I don't understand this one. I am not welcome at his parent's house, and that was their decision, why would they get mad at the two of us then?
And for the third one, he really wants to go there…

This is sooo hard!!! I feel that he isn't trying to work with me. When I get really depressed and sad, then he comes and tells me he loves me no matter what. But why not try making our relationship happier then? I can't understand him!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:44 am
whenlovehurts wrote:
But, we've had a pretty good weekend. We went to the beach (Santa Cruz) and the boards walk. I enjoyed it very much.

Even though, on our way home we argued for a bit. It's about our trip to Europe, where we were initially going to stay at his parent's house and yes they would be there at the same time. Well now that I am no longer welcome in his parents house (per his dad), we got to figure something out and find asolution. He said I got to help him and I said how, he said give me ideas. So I gave him a few ideas:

We could stay at our parents house, not have to pay anything (money saver)
We could rent a hotel (maybe a better idea, but we'll spend more money) or

First one, he doesn't want to stay at my parent's house, because people would talk about him staying at his in-laws, and not with his parents. -okay understandable
Renting a hotel - He doesn't like the idea because then his entire family (uncles, aunts, grandma, etc) would turn their back at him for not staying with his parents. I don't understand this one. I am not welcome at his parent's house, and that was their decision, why would they get mad at the two of us then?
And for the third one, he really wants to go there…

This is sooo hard!!! I feel that he isn't trying to work with me. When I get really depressed and sad, then he comes and tells me he loves me no matter what. But why not try making our relationship happier then? I can't understand him!

I haven't read much of this topic so forgive me if this has already been covered. But looking at this, I just had to comment (my response is in blue):

We could stay at our parents house, not have to pay anything (money saver) Yet this would have a lot of baggage, apparently
We could rent a hotel (maybe a better idea, but we'll spend more money) or How much more? Look online at Travelocity or Orbitz. It may be cheaper than you think.

First one, he doesn't want to stay at my parent's house, because people would talk about him staying at his in-laws, and not with his parents. -okay understandable Really? Why the heck is that understandable? The last time we were in NY, my husband and I stayed at his parents' house one night, my parents another night. The time before that, we stayed at his folks' home. Why? Because it was more convenient to where we were going. As for whatever other people say, who cares about them? Since when do they get to decide how you spend your time or money?
Renting a hotel - He doesn't like the idea because then his entire family (uncles, aunts, grandma, etc) would turn their back at him for not staying with his parents. I don't understand this one. I am not welcome at his parent's house, and that was their decision, why would they get mad at the two of us then? That's just wacky. My brother and his family stay at a hotel every time they visit my folks. Why? Because there's more room, and my folks have their own space and don't have to worry about changing sheets and all of that stuff. Really, this is just between you and your in-laws. They have apparently made it clear that you are not welcome in their home. Okay, then if that is the case, your husband has to put his foot down and tell his parents that if you are not welcome then he is not staying with them, period, end of discussion. Since the two of you are obviously going to stay in the same room, it'll be at a hotel. This should be a no-brainer. If your family whines about it, well, they're just whining.
And for the third one, he really wants to go there… Okay, but right now it's a very difficult situation for you. It puts you in an incredibly awkward position. This is not his fault and it's not your fault, but in the meantime the repercussions will still be felt by you and him. Is the argument very fresh? If so, then you should probably go elsewhere. If this has been going on for a while, and you want to be there, then it might be possible, but I think at best it'll be a tug of war. One thing you might want to do is, schedule a number of activities, perhaps with one of these cousins or aunts you are so concerned about impressing. If you get them away from the situation, and they see you and your husband in a neutral setting (go shopping, have a meal, take a sightseeing tour or whatever), they might not be quite so annoyingly judgmental.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:59 am
Your fiance doesn't seem willing to compromise.

Consider telling him flat out that you will not stay at your in-laws because you are not welcome there.

This leaves staying with your family, staying at a hotel, or going somewhere else.

Or reconciling with his family--and his family reconciling with you.

"None of the above" may be an option. you may need a new fiance.

He can't muddle along expecting everyone to be best friends without his direct, forceful intervention.

Good luck.
0 Replies

whenlovehurts

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
So - we are seeing our counselor today. I am really looking forward to it.

I may just have to make a decision right there and then to leave him, if he is still not willing to compromise and unite with me as one.

It will be hard. Yes it will, but I just got to be ready for worst and see what happens. I've never lived on my own before so this may be very hard for me. I do have a friend who would move in with me, but she is just as nervous. So - this may be another thought.

One more thing is that I run my fiancés side business as far as all marketing, sales, accounting goes. I pretty much brought him 20K profit and in return I got to go to vacation with my IN-LAWS. That's no appreciation, that's torture! And if and when we do separate, I will not take any sort of payment, but rather take his website off and everything I've created. He will no longer be on the first pages of Yahoo, MSN or Google for all my hard work - he simply doesn't deserve it and I am just being used in this relationship.

I'll inform you guys of the after counseling decisions.

I really am getting sick of all of this...
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
The counselor is a great idea.

Don't do anything too hastily on the web site, though. Think about that and calm down before you hurt the biz. Maybe you can work out an arrangement where you do get some compensation for it. Good luck. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:07 am
whenlovehurts wrote:

In addition to what Jespah said, isn't that exactly what would happen if you stayed at HIS parents' house as originally planned? Why wouldn't people talk about why YOU were staying with your in-laws, and not with YOUR parents? Why was that a surmountable barrier for you (before your F-I-L had his hissy fit, anyway) but not for him?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:52 pm
Whenlovehurts--

Good luck. Let us know how the counseling session goes.
0 Replies

whenlovehurts

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:07 am
I never like those games (don't cook, withhold sex), they never seem to actually accomplish anything and often backfire.

You're in therapy, you've only gone to one hours' worth, nothing gets solved that fast. You've gotten over one of the hardest hurdles -- deciding to get a therapist, deciding which one, making an appointment -- so now I think you should back off a bit and wait for at least a few more sessions before deciding to do anything in particular.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:03 pm
Whenlovehurts--

Quote:
So, my friend suggested that I don't cook and that I withhold sex. He feels that these two things will make him feel unloved, too. Up until now, he was like a baby. I did most things, now I feel like I shouldn't. What do you think of this idea? Any suggestion of other things that I should do to make him feel a uncared for with hopes that he will realize and decide to change…

I agree with Soz. You don't want to play one-up games. You want to straighten out the problems in your relationship, not make more.

Right now your BF doesn't want to change. He wants you to change. He wants you to get along with his family and to do things his way.

You're saying, "No". You are not letting him make the rules for both of you.

Given the way he was raised, this is enough of a threat to make him miserable. You are thwarting his assumptions of power--feed his other appetites while he gets used to the idea that you have rights, too.

Good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:48 pm
The withholding etc. never works. All it does is backfire. If your fiance can't relate to your feelings now, he sure as hell isn't going to divine the problem if you start up with that. Like soz and Noddy said, give therapy a chance and see what happens. This wound did not appear overnight and it won't disappear that quickly, either.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:16 pm
The others are right. Don't try those sorts of games. It's mean and hurtful. Not to mention, controlling. (Just like his mother.)
0 Replies