Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:56 am
Spendi wrote:
I don't consider any of the three writers mentioned as "great".

As a rethorical answer, I expected better..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:49 am
@Francis,
Simply dismissing a post as 'crap' brings no more to the discussion than does taking a leak in the punchbowl because you don't like the party.
Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:56 am
@neologist,
Ok, what about saying that that quote doesn't stand the facts as we know them now?

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:05 am
@Francis,
And the facts are? . . .
Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:31 am
@neologist,
Neo, I can talk to you about that as I know you are not one of these fanatics that keep spamming the site with quotes.

But to do so seriously, let's start by trying to leave aside the bias, get rid of the fine veil in front of your eyes and think you don't dwell in a tent anymore..

Or is it quite a stretch of my expectations?
Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@Francis,
In other words do don't have an answer to the specific question?

Why do you accuse Neo of bias when yours is more than obvious? Why should your expectations take precedence over anybody elses?
Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:52 am
@Intrepid,
I know I don't express myself very well, but at this point I doubt of your reading abilities.

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm
@Francis,
You expressed yourself quite well. Now, you are avoiding the question.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm
@gold einstein,
gold einstein wrote:

Isaia 40:22 -There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, whose inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a fine veil that explains them like a tent in which to dwell.
Job 26:7 -He stretches out the north over empty space, suspends the earth upon nothing;

I'm not sure what the information content of this message is. It seems to be saying that there's a God and that the people on Earth are small and insignificant in comparison to him, but beyond that, I'm not sure what is being asserted. As for the first part I mentioned, show me evidence.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:16 pm
@Intrepid,
The facts are that there no such thing as a fine veil, nor does it stretch to the North. The facts are that we are not like grasshoppers. The facts are that no one inhabits there. The facts are there is no circle of the earth...
neologist

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:00 pm
@Francis,
So, you eschew the bible's use of symbolism?
Francis

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:10 am
@neologist,
I do not eschew anything.

But almost all christians pretend the bible is the word of god.

If he talks by symbolisms, then I cannot compete with his written word, the fairy book.

I live a life where I can choose to read Alice in the Wonderland, the bible, Snow White.

I've read them and their symbolisms...

Now, real life and facts are an all different realm..
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
@Francis,
Quote:

And it's pretty horrible and banal and poets do us a favour by helping us feel a bit better about it even if it is only occasionally. From your point of view Francois the horror and banality is unremitting and if you can stand it good for you. Some folk need a rest from it.

I presume you treat Dec 25th as just another day.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 10:35 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I do not eschew anything.

But almost all christians pretend the bible is the word of god. I don't pretend, I assert.
If he talks by symbolisms, then I cannot compete with his written word, the fairy book.

I live a life where I can choose to read Alice in the Wonderland, the bible, Snow White.

I've read them and their symbolisms...

You would have to explain why the statement that we all appear as mere grasshoppers to God would not be an appropriate comparison
Francis

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@neologist,
Sure, Neo, you can make assertions. But asserting something doesn't make it true.

If your god really said that, I beginning to get scared:

Quote:
Ezekiel 23:25

"And I will set My jealousy against you, that they may deal with you in wrath.

They will remove your nose and your ears; and your survivors will fall by the sword.

They will take your sons and your daughters; and your survivors will be consumed by the fire."

Now, about the grasshoppers analogy.

It's said that god made us to his image.

But I have a question: was it our bodies or our souls that he made to his image?

If it was our bodies, I cannot imagine you resemble a grasshopper, unless I'm completely wrong.

If it was our souls, I deny that I can have the soul of a grasshopper.

Francis

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 11:59 am
Spendi, in a moment of extreme lucidity wrote:
And it's pretty horrible and banal and poets do us a favour by helping us feel a bit better about it even if it is only occasionally.
How can I deny this part of your statement? You should know by now that I've a soul of a poet myself and I try to make this life a bit more livable.

Assuming, Spendi wrote:
From your point of view Francois the horror and banality is unremitting and if you can stand it good for you. Some folk need a rest from it.
It's maybe unremitting but fortunately, I'm not exposed to it myself, most of the time.

Presuming a bit too much, Spendi wrote:
Why should I do so, Spendi?

This day is very special, not only from a christian point of view but also from a pagan point of view.

Santa Claus tradition (Père Noël) is a pagan tradition as well as christmas tree.

Didn't I tell you yet about the social utility of religions?
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:22 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
Spendi, in a moment of extreme lucidity wrote:
And it's pretty horrible and banal and poets do us a favour by helping us feel a bit better about it even if it is only occasionally.

Yes--and it's a lucidity that never fades.

Quote:

Why should I do so, Spendi?

No reason. In the real world of facts it is just another day. Smoke a couple of spliffs and go to a grand performance of Midnight Mass in a cathedral.

I have no disrespect for Pagans. I have just spent the last 4 hours watching an uninterrupted Tristan and Isolde on Mr Murdoch's wondrous creation Sky Arts. We ain't grasshoppers.

I know all about the social utility of religion.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
@Lash,
You should have started it off with, Do you think a man "about thirty years old" and never had sex with a woman is gay? Smile
Francis

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:55 pm
@RexRed,
Why would you choose to quote a post from Tue 30 May, 2006, if it's not for diverting the course of the current topic?
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:36 pm
@Francis,
And a ridiculous post it was too. Very precious.

Best thing for interesting a bored audience is knicker up and down references and toilet doings. That's what comics do.
0 Replies