Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:46 pm
@Setanta,
A poem that has no beginning and will have no end, expanding and contracting, starting over again and again for the eternal ions of time. The definition is in dictionaries which apparently not many people own or know how to used on the Internet but semantically, it's just as wide open as space and time: the entire celestial Cosmos. Now watch someone ask about the definition of Cosmos, and it's not the plural of Thorne Smith's fictional character.
0 Replies

gold einstein

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm
Isaia 40:22 -There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, whose inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a fine veil that explains them like a tent in which to dwell.
Job 26:7 -He stretches out the north over empty space, suspends the earth upon nothing;
Francis

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:12 pm
@gold einstein,
We know now that's just some crap from old times..
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:36 pm
@Francis,
Come on Francis--it's beautiful poetry. What would Jung have said about it? Not that.

There's not a great writer I know who said anything bad about the Bible. One has to stare at it until the facts speak to you out of it. It isn't the most famous work of literature for nothing.
Francis

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 01:15 pm
@spendius,
Spendi wrote:
There's not a great writer I know who said anything bad about the Bible.

Your knowledge on the subject seems not to be par with your other literary culture.

I could cite a number of French writers who despised the bible, like Victor Hugo or Denis Diderot but it would be for no avail in the English speaking world.

Instead I will cite Bertrand Russel....

About the beauty of the poetry, I'd say it has a beauty, sometimes.

But its inherent flaws, mainly focused on hatred and revenge if you don't follow the precepts, makes it a work of propaganda for a sect..
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 01:54 pm
@Francis,
Thank you, Francis. I guess you don't drink in the morning -- oh, wait, it's pub time in Britain!
aidan

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:03 pm
@Lightwizard,
not quite
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:17 pm
@Francis,
I don't consider any of the three writers mentioned as "great".

It has nothing to do with the Bible what some sect uses it for. The point is that it cannot be dismissed as "crap". That is what I objected to.
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:58 pm
@spendius,
Francis is argumentatively challenged.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:02 pm
@neologist,
not actually he's not, but he ever bit as opinionated as you are.
RexRed

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:34 pm
You have to have schizophrenia to be a good biblicists today. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:40 pm
Even if Jesus did not exist his story is about empathy for those publicly and unjustly persecuted. Still relevant today.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:33 pm
@RexRed,
There were literally hundreds of prophets wandering about the Roman Empire during the time of Jesus that fit his profile. Many of them developed an even larger body of followers. I think he did exist, but of course if he appeared today, he would be committed to an asylum as a psychopathic liberal.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:00 pm
@dyslexia,
If we had no opinions, the board would be empty
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:12 pm
Quote -- If we had no opinions, the board would be empty....
Trouble is, opinions here are stated as facts and the facts are looked upon as opinions
RexRed

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:18 pm
Science seems devoid of the miraculous.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:21 am
@tenderfoot,
profound

I think
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:42 am
Spendius wrote:
It has nothing to do with the Bible what some sect uses it for. The point is that it cannot be dismissed as "crap". That is what I objected to.
There's some misreading or some misinterpretation of my words here.

The "crap" I used was only intended to describe this quote:
GE wrote:
Isaia 40:22 -There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, whose inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a fine veil that explains them like a tent in which to dwell.
Job 26:7 -He stretches out the north over empty space, suspends the earth upon nothing;
Francis

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:54 am
Neologist wrote:
Francis is argumentatively challenged.

Not so.

But let me explain it to you, as you seem to be unware of such intrincaties of human mind.

As you know, I'm not a native English speaker.

Even though I have a large vocabulary, the construction of the sentences and the right placement of the words doesn't come naturally to my mind, unlike some of you, which delicate and flowery uttering never ceases to amaze me, by the grace and the beauty it conveys.

As so, an argument takes me ten times the effort you deploy to do the same.

Sometimes, I tend to be discouraged when pondering the heavy task it is to correctly translate my intended message in English.

That you can misinterpret some of my challenged prose, I understand.

But never take it for a lack of arguments...
fresco

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:54 am
@Francis,
Re that quote
I knew it ! We are specimens in the laboratory of some alien! Wink
0 Replies