xingu

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:25 am
I would like to see a discussion of science and the Bible.

Biblicist defend the Bible claiming it's the word of God and inerrant. The Bible's description of certain events on earth, the description of the earth and cosmos show that the authors were very ignorant of science and the structure of our universe.

Some of the things I would like to see discussed, but not held strictly to, are;

Noah's Flood: a myth much like the myths of King Arthur and Robin Hood.

The shape of the earth: the Bible says it's flat. I disagree. The world is not flat. How can anyone believe the Bible is the word of God if he can't get the shape of the world correct?

The sun standing still for 24 hours.
Quote:
Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: Sun, stand still over Gibeon; and Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon. So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the people had revenge upon their enemies. Is this not written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hastened to go down for about a whole day. And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded a voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel
(Joshua 10:12-14).
How is this possible? Some Biblicist, at one time, claimed that NASA found the "missing day" that proved the Bible was correct. This has subsequently been shown to be a fraud created by certain Biblicist in an effort to prove the inerrancy of the Bible.

The geocentric universe.
The are numerous passages in the Bible that picture the earth to be the immobile center of the universe. This is another very serious error telling us that God could not possibly be the author of the Bible.

If there are other issues of science vs. Bible I have not mentioned feel free to bring them up. A few things off the top of my head;

Stars
Virgin birth
Full body resurrection

Seeker

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:02 am
Heya, I'm not actually a Christian but I believe there are many Christians who see the Bible as being full of moral stories, like more of a guide book to life than a history book or a science book.
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:24 am
Seeker wrote:
Heya, I'm not actually a Christian but I believe there are many Christians who see the Bible as being full of moral stories, like more of a guide book to life than a history book or a science book.

Captain Barbosa (Goeffrey Rush) to Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightly, posing in this scene as Elizabeth "Turner") in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl:

First, Miss Turner, that was not part of our agreement, so i must do nothing. Second, you have to be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you are not. And finally, the pirate's code is more a set of guidelines than actual rules . . . Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner ! ! !

(Approximation of diaglogue, shamelessly reproduced from memory without due attribution to the screen writers.)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:53 pm
Quote:

I have found that people have a wide variety of beliefs about the Bible. I have had some tell me they don't believe the Old Testament should be part of the Bible because of the meanness and brutality of its God.

This thread is directed to those who believe in the inerrant Bible. Those who believe the whole Bible is written or inspired by God and is without any error what so ever.

I wholeheartly disagree with this position and I am attempting to show that the Bible is full of errors and not the word of God.

This doesn't mean I disagree with everything in the Bible. There are parts I think are wonderful. But it is not the word of God nor does it describe God.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:09 pm
Quote:

This doesn't mean I disagree with everything in the Bible. There are parts I think are wonderful. But it is not the word of God nor does it describe God.

Since 'god' originates within the bible, isn't it a bit silly to imagine him free of this context?

It's like saying huck finn was real but mark twain had it all wrong.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:27 pm
Xingu,

I would like to follow this discussion, but I do have one question for you before starting, if you don't mind?

Why are you attempting to show that the Bible is full of errors and not the word of God?
xingu

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:45 pm
Quote:
Since 'god' originates within the bible, isn't it a bit silly to imagine him free of this context?

God originates in the Bible?
More like God created by those who wrote the Bible.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:49 pm
Quote:
Why are you attempting to show that the Bible is full of errors and not the word of God?

Because it is and the Bible should be seen as it is. Those who claim the Bible is inerrant and written by God are overlooking or making excuses for the errors in the Bible.

If someone were to give you some pills, tell you they will make you live to be 150 years old would I be wrong in telling you that you were being given false information?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:04 pm
Xingu,

I appreciate what you are saying and thank you for answering me. But one's religion is very sacred to them. I am one that believes the Bible is the Word of God and does not contain errors. If you feel or believe that it does and is not the Word of God, that is surely your right and perogative.
Wilso

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:44 pm
Science attempts to find answers. Religion says all the answers are known so there's no reason to search. It's a crutch for frightened children, and an instrument of control for it's leaders.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:45 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Xingu,

I am one that believes the Bible is the Word of God and does not contain errors.

Then you're obviously an irrational nut case.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:47 pm
Hi Wilso,

How are you doing? That is a beautiful child you have! Happy Memorial Day!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:50 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Wilso,

And she has never been in a church in her life. All the children in our family are raised without the brainwashing that does so much damage.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:57 pm
Wilso wrote:
Science attempts to find answers. Religion says all the answers are known so there's no reason to search. It's a crutch for frightened children, and an instrument of control for it's leaders.

Which religion says this? Or, are you suggesting that ALL religions say this? Which children of the world are the frightened ones? Only religious children get frightened? Which leaders are you referring to?
Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:57 pm
Wilso wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Xingu,

I am one that believes the Bible is the Word of God and does not contain errors.

Then you're obviously an irrational nut case.

Your understanding and compassion for your fellow man say much about you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:58 pm
Wilso wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Wilso,

And she has never been in a church in her life. All the children in our family are raised without the brainwashing that does so much damage.

It kind of shows by you, my friend.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:58 pm
Hi Intrepid,

Happy Memorial Day to you!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Intrepid,

Happy Memorial Day to you!

Thank you, Momma Angel. Actually, we have Remembrance Day on November 11th. However, I do not forget our American friends on Memorial Day. All the best.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:02 pm
I keep forgetting you are in Canada. Thank you and the same to you, my friend!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:35 pm
Sometimes I wonder if all of the "religious hierarchy" in the public sector aren't playing a group of people deliberately, because they are susceptible to believing almost anything. I doubt most of them are believers.

I had to give my outline of a persuasive speech to a class of the most conservative, sheltered people on the planet. It had to be something I cared about, so I vacillated between gay marriage and anti-Semitism. I really didn't want to be controversial, but I couldn't work up any interest in anything else.

I chose gay marriage, and they looked at me as if I'd murdered a child.

My points were unassailable. I was very patient and accepting of their arguments. Didn't feel aggressive at all.

Among their strongest points: God doesn't make mistakes. (So gay people choose to be gay.)

and God made man in his image,...so are you saying God's gay? It took everything I could do to keep a straight face. My professor and I were exchanging mock wide-eyed expressions.

Everyone in the class rejected my assertion that people are born homosexual....because if they accept that, it blows a big hole in their religion. I don't think it has to--but many of them do.

Same thing with the Big Bang theory. They fight information that threatens their religion. Almost as one unit. I've seen it up close. It's bizarre.