neologist

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:27 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Yes and the bible also describes God's supposed racism of "chosen people" where a scientist (who is true to their discipline) loves all races equally... Now who is the one in need of their spirit being awakened? Who carries the false spirit?
You have missed the meaning of God's promise to Abraham:
(Genesis 28:14) . . .and by means of you and by means of your seed all the families of the ground will certainly bless themselves.
The Jews were selected only so their law would prove a "tutor leading to Christ" (Galatians 3:24)
They are no more 'chosen' than those of any other race.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Lash, You must vacate common sense and logic in order to believe what the religious people (especially christians) believe. If god is perfect, and makes no errors/mistakes, then by logic we cannot blame the gay/lesbian for their homosexuality.

We also can't blame the deformed babies that are born with mental and/or physical handicaps; they are perfectly innocent. Who do we blame for that?

Since god doesn't make mistakes, why did those who wrote the bible error so badly on 1) age of the earth, 2) flat earth, and 3) world flood? Those writers forgot to mention dinosaurs, and that the planet earth is but one planet in our universe of many - that proves the age of this planet as some 4.5 billions years old. The age of homo sapiens is much younger - but older than Adam and Eve.

On top of all those errors and omissions, our history is replete with the many sins of the religious and the man-made churches. If the bible is suppose to teach morals, it failed miserably through the past two thousand years.

The only lesson I see is that religious beliefs are in the mind of the beholder, but does not translate into good deeds or actions.

When people say "god bless you," exactly what is that supposed to mean?
That your life will be without misery, pain, or tragedy?

The cause of all the war and crime and sickness and death of our world can be traced back to the rebellion in Eden.

The sins of religious leaders will fall on their own heads.
(Zechariah 13:4-6) 4 “And it must occur in that day [that] the prophets will become ashamed, each one of his vision when he prophesies; and they will not wear an official garment of hair for the purpose of deceiving. 5 And he will certainly say, ‘I am no prophet. I am a man cultivating [the] soil, because an earthling man himself acquired me from my youth on.’ 6 And one must say to him, ‘What are these wounds [on your person] between your hands?’ And he will have to say, ‘Those with which I was struck in the house of my intense lovers.’”

How are ya doin', CI?
neologist

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Heh, Intrepid, I'm old enough to have heard that story many, many times. I alway enjoy it. Yes.
Quote:
Oh, and God has no interest in baseball.

I must reluctantly report that you are completely wrong about god and baseball.
Actually, he seems to have no interest in the Mariners . . . or the Orioles. Sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:24 pm
@neologist,
neo, I'm do'n just fine. Been busy on travelpod.com and Facebook since my login problems with a2k.
neologist

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I barely have enough time to come back here on occasion. But I remember the good old days.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:12 pm
@neologist,
The only reason we can talk about the "good old days" is because we're "that" old. LOL
RexRed

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
I only feel old Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:13 am
@RexRed,
At 75, I feel young - at heart.
RexRed

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
When everything in life you have to fight for, it stunts your growth and make your soul age rapidly... Congrats on 75 and many great years ahead friend... Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 04:06 pm
@RexRed,
Thanks; appreciate your good wishes. I try to prolong my life by living a relatively active lifestyle, and eating and drinking in moderation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:50 am
Lots of goofy stuff here. Just thought I'd visit memory lane.
0 Replies

xXxSERVANTxXx

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 09:44 pm
@xingu,
If god exists then this question is out of bounds because God created science. And not with the intentions for science to conflict with religion. Not even true Darwinism supports evolution per say. It supports that the more advanced animals learn to adapt. Which makes sense. Almost like those that are refined in the fire are stronger. The convulted version of Darwinism supports that we evolved from apes, or worms, singled celled organisms. Etc.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 05:38 am
@xXxSERVANTxXx,
I love it when people who don't know what they are talking about, talk.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 05:54 am
Dawks admits things can come into existence out of thin air, so I guess that makes him a closet Creationist..Smile
For example about the evolution of the eye he says-

"It is not difficult then for rudimentary lens-like objects to come into existence spontaneoulsly.
Any old lump of halfway transparent jelly need only assume a curved shape." (Richard Dawkins, Climbing Mt Improbable, p. 146)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 06:04 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

What is even more interesting is people finding ways to allude to their own excellence as a method of repressing the fact that they are a mobile tube with a hole at each end.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:06 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Sir William Temple wrote--

Quote:
'Tis a very poor tho' common Pretence to merit, to make it appear by the Faults of other Men. . . . ; 'tis something to sparlkle among Diamonds, but to shine among Pebbles is neither Credit nor Value worth pretending.

'Tis a great pity ros's education missed out such things. He has defined his own Pebbles too and has thus erected a straw man. Seemingly unconsciously, as befits such a common gump of the sort which it is said that there is one born every minute.
0 Replies

xXxSERVANTxXx

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:05 pm
@spendius,
You are correct Spendius, what is your actual position?
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 06:15 pm
@xXxSERVANTxXx,
A bit to the right of 53° 24' N / 2° 58' W.
0 Replies

graceforall

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:36 pm
@xingu,
The 1st law of thermodynamics - matter and energy can be neither created nor destroyed. There are no natural processes that can alter either matter or energy in this way. Every one who says the universe came into existence from nothing violate the first law of thermodynamics.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:41 pm
@graceforall,
I'm not so sure you want to use the word 'alter.'