dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:25 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Could you explain exactly how the universe came into existence?
can you give an exact definition of "the universe?"
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:13 am
@dyslexia,
Perhaps you should direct your request to Lightwizard. It was his post that I replied to with whatever his definition of the "universe" is.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm
@Intrepid,
The church has always claimed the Bible is the "word of God," despite the fact that it was evidently, according to them, "dictated" to everything from some anonymous scribes wandering around in the desert from city to city, then the New Testament, to disciples of Christ. So I think God had some celestial computer word processor, an old Underwood typewriter or a quill pen and some papyrus? That's a foolish twisting of semantics. This isn't a class on cosmology and I am not a cosmologist -- there's plenty of scientific information in the Internet, classes in universities, books and lectures on the subject. It would take pages of this forum to even condense all the scientific proof up to now. Proof in the Bible or from clerics in the Church? Nada. You have to accept that explanation on faith and be cognizant of exactly who or what you have faith in. If you are an accomplished theologian, you may be able to explain it to me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:00 pm
@Intrepid,
You did not ask for a definition of what the "Universe" is. You asked how "it" came into existence. If you are reticent to spend any time educating yourself, I certainly don't have the time. You might get a skimble-skamble explanation from the resident authority on religion and science, Pope Spendius XXX.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
@Lightwizard,
Well--of course. It's easy.

The universe only exists insofar as human beings are there to sing it. You should read the book I recommended earlier LW. It might save you from embarrassing yourself in the eyes of intelligent people with all this childish nonsense you spew out. Not that I think you would understand it but it would be progress if you understood that you didn't understand it.

We don't want to be feeling that you are reticent to spend any time educating yourself when you are enjoining others to do just that with your old-hat reverse invidious comparison. It is not that you haven't the time to educate anybody in these matters. It is that you have no capacity to do so despite your post pathetically attempting to assert that you do.

Science is exhausted. It has run into the limitations of its instruments. The Hadron collider is a desperate attempt to hold the fear of futility at bay. The terminology is an end unto itself.

Spengler's "Second Religiousness" is coming.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:45 pm
@farmerman,
effemm responded to this-

Quote:
With tectonic movements and land going up and down in unimaginable periods of time it is distinctly possible that the water covered all the land at some point.

How can that be disputed?

with this-

Quote:
why not join gunga in the timeout pen.

Do you dispute, effemm, that the surface of the earth must, statistically, have been covered in water at some point? Maybe many points.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:58 pm
@spendius,
yes but the scam of the Creationists is easily evidenced against. Not all points on earth were inundated at the same time. At most times, at least 25% of the planet was always exposed land, and in some cases huge parts of the planet were covered in ice and the free water surface was less than 35%.
The argument for a worldwide flood requires a sense of a stratigraphic column much different than geoscience has built.

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:03 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

You did not ask for a definition of what the "Universe" is. You asked how "it" came into existence. If you are reticent to spend any time educating yourself, I certainly don't have the time. You might get a skimble-skamble explanation from the resident authority on religion and science, Pope Spendius XXX.

You wrote:
Quote:
So many limitations for deities, other than poofing the Universe into existence

Oh, nevermind.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:15 pm
@farmerman,
That's meaningless effemm.

I'm not talking about "at most times". And I'm not talking about Creationists either.

I'm talking about the surface area of a sphere. The surface of the earth might well have approached close to a perfect sphere at some point. Darwin found fossil shells up mountains. If it did, with the tectonic movements happily coinciding, the surface would be all water.

The ancients must have seen what Darwin saw and their artists might have projected the possibility I envisage and enshrined it in a myth. If we don't know it happened we also don't know it didn't. Hence the myth has validity which can be then used for religious purposes. Obviously using poetic licence.

The stories grow up in answer to the questions of the skeptics. Skepticism is not an invention of Scientific American.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:19 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If we don't know it happened we also don't know it didn't.

stunning!
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:14 pm
@dyslexia,
What do you mean dys?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:21 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Darwin found fossil shells up mountains.
Thats the stupidity Ive grown accustome dto hear from you. Cause the fossils are up a mountainside, does that mean that the water climbed up to? Youre a bit too doctrinaire but lacking in logical discipline.

Could the nascen t "mountains" be seabottom plains that were later raised as new continental masses began to compress against the craton, just like pushing back a rug?

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
stunning!
The bloody master of the obvious is our spendi.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:31 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Could the nascen t "mountains" be seabottom plains that were later raised as new continental masses began to compress against the craton, just like pushing back a rug?

That's what I meant. I never said anything about water "climbing" up.

Take a rough ball of bread dough. Then roll it around until it's as near a perfect sphere as you can get it. Then knock it out of shape again. Now is the state before you roll it and after you knock it about.

I can't see what you are arguing about. It's obvious.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:44 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I'm talking about the surface area of a sphere. The surface of the earth might well have approached close to a perfect sphere at some point. Darwin found fossil shells up mountains. If it did, with the tectonic movements happily coinciding, the surface would be all water.
Now why would that not ever happen spendi?? Think. Try to make believe that you just got out of rehab and all the world was crystal clear, and you were in control of your faculties, at least for a while, until you got hammered again.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:52 pm
I found a beer can on a mountain once. I could only conclude a flood carried it there.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
Why should I be expected to make out that I had just got out of rehab when I have never come across anybody in my entire life who had managed that.

The modern art supplies shop is rehab. So is the Haldron collider. Treatment in the Community Mrs Thatcher called it.

Show me somebody who is out of rehab and I'll go out and say a prayer for him.

Your fans must be getting a bit anxious effemm is all can say.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:50 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I found a beer can on a mountain once. I could only conclude a flood carried it there.

Congratulations, you are qualified to be a professor at the Discovery Institute.

All they will need to do is give you an honorary doctorate from a bogus university and you can start writing articles as Dr. Edgar Beercan.
spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:10 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Congratulations, you are qualified to be a professor at the Discovery Institute.

All they will need to do is give you an honorary doctorate from a bogus university and you can start writing articles as Dr. Edgar Beercan.

If either of those contributions make any sense to you I suggest you sign up for some classes in remedial humanity. They are barks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:24 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Could you explain exactly how the universe came into existence?
can you give an exact definition of "the universe?"

Universe is a poem in one long, uninterrupted stanza.