AG says journalists can be prosecuted for publishing leaks

Advocate

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:19 pm
I didn't say that Rush provided aid and comfort to enemies. However, being in the mass media, he should be more careful in his statements, and not falsely impugn the NYT, a great paper.

Libby did provide aid and comfort to our enemies in outing Plame. In my opinion, this is treason, for which he should be executed.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:37 am
RexRed wrote:
NOW we have six bombings in Bombay India!

Perhaps more WIRE TAPS would have revealed this plot before it murdered so many people?
How would wire taps on calls from the US to other countries have revealed a plot that was probably planned and executed completely in India?

Quote:
The left are NOT helping to protect our country.
India isn't the US. It is on the other side of the world. But if you want to make a connection then the argument could be made that Bush is not making the US safer since so many trains were bombed.
Quote:

WE NEED TO VOTE THE LEFT OUT THIS NEXT ELECTION!

A nice fair election so they can see that every vote counted was truly against them and their obstructionist policies..
I am all for fair and free elections. I am for a paper trail so manual recounts can be used to confirm the election. I am also for recounts when requested by a candidate.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:05 am
Advocate wrote:
I didn't say that Rush provided aid and comfort to enemies. However, being in the mass media, he should be more careful in his statements, and not falsely impugn the NYT, a great paper.

Libby did provide aid and comfort to our enemies in outing Plame. In my opinion, this is treason, for which he should be executed.

pachelbel said...
Quote:
the public has every right to know what is going on.

So,the public has a right to know who is on the CIA payroll.
Whats the problem?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:38 am
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15988
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:19 pm
Thank you , Rex Red. I took the liberty of replicating the fine link to Human Events which clearly show left wing liberals like Mr. Parados and Mr.Pachelbel that there is NO INDICTMENT FOR O U T I N G A CIA AGENT COMING FROM THE PROSECUTOR.

Why? There was no outing!!!

Novak wrote:

For nearly the entire time of his investigation, Fitzgerald knew -- independent of me -- the identity of the sources I used in my column of July 14, 2003. A federal investigation was triggered when I reported that former Ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame Wilson, was employed by the CIA and helped initiate his 2002 mission to Niger. That Fitzgerald did not indict any of these sources may indicate his conclusion that none of them violated the Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

Do you get that, Mr. Parados and Mr. Pachelbel--Mr. Fitzgerald's conclusion that none of them VIOLATED THE INTELLIGENCE IDENTITIES PROTECTION ACT."

Rex Red- I am sure that Mr. Parados and Mr. Pachelbel will be oblvious tothis and will continue to assert that there was an OUTING of a CIA agent.

There is little you can do with closed minds, Rex Red!!
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm
That is NOVAK's SUPPOSITION about what Fitzgerald MAY (did you notice that MAY?) have been thinking. It is not "Fitzgerald's conclusion".
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:35 pm
Well, then Username, we will just have to wait until the Libby Trial is completed. You really don't think that an incorruptable prosecutor like FItzgerald would allow the Outing of a CIA agent to go unpunished, Do you?

We shall see, and when Fitzgerald reports, I will be happy to remind you that there has been no charge that a CIA agent was outed.

You must have misread the indictment, Mr. Username. I found nothing in it charging that Mr. Libby had outed a CIA agent.

Note below:

The praise for Fitzgerald focuses on the charges he did not bring. He did not prosecute Bush administration officials or journalists under the rarely invoked law he was originally appointed to investigate--the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, which forbids the knowing disclosure of the identity of a covert government agent. He did not invoke a broader provision that makes it a crime to disclose classified information--a statute that, if it were regularly enforced, would criminalize what most national security reporters do every day. As John Tierney of the Times, an eloquent critic of what he correctly calls "Nadagate," acknowledges, Fitzgerald also "didn't indict anyone for seemingly minor discrepancies in testimony." Instead, his indictment makes a relatively strong case that Libby lied repeatedly before the grand jury about when and how he first learned that Joseph Wilson, a critic of the administration's case for the Iraq war, was married to Valerie Plame, a CIA agent. Showing prosecutorial experience that Starr lacked, Fitzgerald at least brought a false statements indictment that is easy to understand.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
Novak says that he was given Plame's ID, but not her name, by someone who later said that this was inadvertent. Who is this person? I think it was probably Cheney. This reminds me of the guy who said he didn't mean to pull the trigger that killed the bank teller.

Is there anyone on the right who is not a sleazeball?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:42 pm
Advocate wrote:
Novak says that he was given Plame's ID, but not her name, by someone who later said that this was inadvertent. Who is this person? I think it was probably Cheney. This reminds me of the guy who said he didn't mean to pull the trigger that killed the bank teller.

So,since you THINK it was Cheney,that automatically means it was,is that what you are saying?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:50 pm
Advocate wrote:

Is there anyone in the world more full of hyperbole than Advocate?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:01 am
I am sure that Advocate does not think that the Federal Prosecutor, Fitzgerald is a dupe. Everyone on both sides of the political aisle calls him uncorruptable and a straight arrow.

Therefore, I am sure that Advcate will look forward to the INDICTMENT of the person who OUTED Plame. Unless, in the fullness of time and judicial findings, it is found ,as Novak has said, NO ONE OUTED PLAME.

We shall see what tomorrow's news and editorials say about whether or not Plame was OUTED!!!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:58 am
Quote:
Alexandria, VA---Senators Rick Santorum, R-PA, and Conrad Burns, R-MT, support implementation of Official Secret's Act, S.3774, introduced yesterday by Senator Christopher Bond, R-MO, to criminalize the unauthorized disclosure of classified information. Bond's bill seeks to enable the Executive Branch in prosecuting individuals engaged in disclosure of government secrets. According to the release issued by Senator Bond's office, the legislation seeks to unify current law and ease the government's burden in prosecuting and punishing leakers by eliminating the need to prove that damage to the national security has or will result from a disclosure. According to the new release by Secrecy News reports, the new Bond bill is identical to the controversial anti-leak legislation sponsored by Senator Richard Shelby in the FY 2001 Intelligence Authorization Act that was vetoed by President Clinton in November 2000. The bill was called the "Official Secrets Act," after the U.K.'s repressive criminal secrecy statutes.

The United States has never had a statute generally criminalizing leaks or the publication of sensitive information. Despite consideration at a number of moments in our history, concern for the First Amendment and the principle that the press acts as an important check on government abuse has thwarted all previous efforts to pass such legislation. According to Professor William Weaver, NSWBC Senior Advisor, "Such legislation is subject to a double standard in its application. For example, much information is leaked to the press with the approval of administrators. These sorts of leaks are an unofficial channel for shoring up administration positions and to influence public opinion. On the other hand, unauthorized leaks would be prosecuted when they undermine administration positions or embarrass the executive branch or reveal illegal agency activity. So whether or not a person is prosecuted depends on whether or not the leak is popular or unpopular with the administration in power at the time of the leak. If the statute were to be applied evenhandedly, the jails would be full of administrators and presidential advisors."

Rather than a genuine effort to enhance national security, this legislation is designed to deter legitimate whistleblowing. The result is that the statute would create an "Official Secrets Act" similar to that found in Great Britain. But, obviously, Great Britain does not have a First Amendment and we do. The government has consistently failed in its burden to prove that recent leaks of national security information somehow harmed the United States. Rather, these disclosures have encouraged public discussion on issues of executive abuses that this administration has tried very hard to cover up. Justice Brandeis wrote: "those who won our independence believed . . . that public discussion is a political duty; and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government." Current law already protects against disclosure of specific types of sensitive information, like the design of a nuclear warhead or a covert agent's identities. Legislation that places the First Amendment entirely in the hands of the Executive Branch, such as Bond's Bill, is unconstitutional on its face. The Nation's Founders chose not to implement an Official Secret's Act on our public servants and there is no need for such a law now.

GAP Legal Director, Tom Devine, stated: "This is a bill to protect the bureaucracy, not America's security. It is about covering up government abuses of power that only can be sustained through secrecy. It is about canceling freedom of speech when it counts, by criminalizing whistleblowers who make unclassified disclosures. Most whistleblowers who would be targeted are those exposing cover-ups of the government's own security breaches.".....

Source
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:50 am
The interest of many Republicans to prosecute members of the media who publish official secrets seems a bit incongruous in light of their unconcern with the disclosure by the White House of a CIA agent's identification. I cannot recall that a single member of the GOP was outraged by the outing of Valerie Plame.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:37 am
But Valerie Plame was NOT outed. If Advocate is able to find a quote from any Democratic Senator or House member who says that plame WAS OUTED, I would like to see if.

The special prosecutor, Fitzgerald, has not said that anyone was being prosecuted for OUTING any CIA agent.

If Advocate has such material about Fitzgerald prosecuting someone for OUTING Plame, I would like to see it!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:59 am
When it is acceptable to prosecute journalists for publishing information about possible illegal acts by our government, we are no longer a democratic republic.

It's a shame there aree even some who find that acceptable.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:26 am
Bernie evidently feels that the media has not given away state secrets because members of the media have not been prosecuted.

Interestingly, illegal government projects are not classifiable.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:51 am
I am afraid that you missed my question, Mr. Advocate. If you are unable to reply ,I understand--

But Valerie Plame was NOT outed. If Advocate is able to find a quote from any Democratic Senator or House member who says that plame WAS OUTED, I would like to see if.

The special prosecutor, Fitzgerald, has not said that anyone was being prosecuted for OUTING any CIA agent.

If Advocate has such material about Fitzgerald prosecuting someone for OUTING Plame, I would like to see it!
0 Replies