AG says journalists can be prosecuted for publishing leaks

BernardR

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:04 pm
You are correct. Mr. Walter Hinteler. It was different. But in my schooling, when we studied CONTROL OF THE PRESS BY TOTALITARIANS, 1937 Germany was always referred to as the best example not only because of its outrageousness but also because of the typcial Germanic efficiency with which every journal and paper in the country was placed under central control.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Besides that I can't find a reason, why the NYT is targeted and not the LA Times or the Wall Street Journal, which published the story earlier or a more administration likening - I never like to have the press censored and/or chained.

But since I don't live in the USA and the Americans are customed to such, it really doesn't bother me a lot.

walter

There was a good discussion on this question last night on PBS Newshour between Lehrer, Mark Shields and David Brooks. here

As Brooks and Shields note, the NY Times has become a potent symbol in the worldview of the modern american right's ideology. Thus the mind-boggling weirdness of some of the preceding comments.

There is a strain of American nationalism which requires the projection of demons about to batter down the doors and eat the children inside. If not the imminent danger from the communist-inspired New Math or fluoride in the water, it'll be something else. In this ideology, the 'internal' demon is particularly insidious and loathsome. That's what Joe McCarthy plugged into in the fifties and what Ann Coulter is doing now.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 04:23 pm
The hypocrisy is stunning. Conservative commentators are calling for the death penalty for editors at the NYT, but don't say a word about the White House leakers of Val Plame's identity. Of course, the commentators don't assign any guilt to the Wall Street Journal (or the LA Times).

Further, Bush himself has referred to his intent to follow financial trails of terrorists, and SWIFT covers the program on its own net site.

What really bothers Bush is that the program has been deemed illegal, once again showing Bush's unconcern with the niceties of the law, including the Bill of Rights.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 11:55 pm
The leakers of Valerie Plame's identity? Why, I am surprised at you--Mr. Advocate, you know, of course, that the Federal Prosecutor, Mr. Fitzgerald, is handling that, and he will nail down the perpetrator in due course. No one, I am told, is supposed to comment on an ongoing investigation.

Now, as far as the New York Times is concerned. Anyone who does not know that the New York Times is the most influential newspaper in the USA simply hasn't been listening.

Perhaps the New York Times can influence the ACLU to take its case to the Supreme Court so that the Times can investigate at its leisure!

and, if one wishes to find out how to really control the press, all one has to do is to copy the Nazi method as outlined in "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

When we look at CONTROL OF THE PRESS BY TOTALITARIANS, 1937 Germany was always referred to as the best example not only because of its outrageousness but also because of the typical Germanic efficiency with which every journal and paper in the country was placed under central control.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 09:00 am
As far as I know, no action has been taken, or even planned, against the NYT. Therefore, shouldn't the right, following its view on making judgments in the Plame matter, refrain from condemning the paper?

I think that the Bush administration would not push any action against the NYT. It would be afraid of the disclosures that would surface about its own actions.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:22 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The leakers of Valerie Plame's identity? Why, I am surprised at you--Mr. Advocate, you know, of course, that the Federal Prosecutor, Mr. Fitzgerald, is handling that, and he will nail down the perpetrator in due course. No one, I am told, is supposed to comment on an ongoing investigation.

Now, as far as the New York Times is concerned. Anyone who does not know that the New York Times is the most influential newspaper in the USA simply hasn't been listening.

Perhaps the New York Times can influence the ACLU to take its case to the Supreme Court so that the Times can investigate at its leisure!

I AM CERTAIN THAT MR. ADVOCATE HAS NOT READ THE INDICTMENT HANDED DOWN BY THE PROSECUTOR, MR. FITZGERALD. THERE IS NO MENTION, NO MENTION OF ANY INDICTMENT WITH REGARD TO THE LEAKERS OF MRS. PLAME'S IDENTITY.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:28 am
Advocate wrote:
As far as I know, no action has been taken, or even planned, against the NYT. Therefore, shouldn't the right, following its view on making judgments in the Plame matter, refrain from condemning the paper?

I think that the Bush administration would not push any action against the NYT. It would be afraid of the disclosures that would surface about its own actions.

Yes the more disclosures the more the enemy is aided and comforted. That is political blackmail. The New York Crimes has just laid out a road map on how the terrorists can exchange money and not get caught. What a traitorous act of irresponsibility. It is not like they have outed a CIA operative they have given a map of our location and plan of attack to the enemy.

New York "Crimes" can keep their propagandist "news".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:51 am
"We spend tens of billions of dollars each year on intelligence. But all al Qaida needs to buy is a subscription to the New York Times."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:08 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
"We spend tens of billions of dollars each year on intelligence. But all al Qaida needs to buy is a subscription to the New York Times."

Or a computer with internet and a banc account:

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zlajus.jpg

This is from mine (ours, to be correct), for doing international bank tranfers. The * stars lead to sites, explaining what's done by SWIFT ... and what SWIFT does.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
It is interesting that we hear nothing about a probe to find out who leaked the program to the media. Certainly, Bush has not said a word about this. I wonder whether the leak came from the Leaker-in-Chief.

Bernie is correct that there is a special prosecutor in the Plame case. But that doesn't lessen the mockery of having the administration, which leaked Plame's identity, condemn the NYT.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
This is from mine (ours, to be correct), for doing international bank tranfers. The * stars lead to sites, explaining what's done by SWIFT ... and what SWIFT does.

If you click on the asterisk, does it explain that SWIFT is monitoring financial transactions on behalf of the US to track down terrorists? Or does it just say they are going to cooperate with authorities?

I imagine the terrorist intelligence dollar is better spent on a NYT subscription than clicking on all the asterisks on the World Wide Web.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:20 pm
The NYT, like most papers, has reporters doing factual reporting, and columnists, both right and left oriented, commenting on the news. This is what the newspaper business is all about. Framing the NYT as an anti-USA organization is dead wrong.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:19 pm
The NYT needs to can their editor like CBS axed Ted Koppel. Embarrassed

Could the NYT release a statement as to why they keep finding it necessary to reveal to the terrorists our military's intelligence strategies on the front page of it's news paper?

CBS knew Ted had overstepped the line of objective journalism but the NYT seems to think they are immune to their readers scorn.

Call in Donald Trump!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:41 pm
If Advocate will go to find the Indictment issued by the special prosecutor for Mr. Libby, he will not, I repeat NOT, find that Libby has been indicted as a "leaker" of an overt CIA employee.

I know of no charge made in any court against any person which says that a COVERT CIA AGENT'S NAME WAS LEAKED WHEN HE OR SHE WAS PERFORMING THE DUTIES OF A CIA AGENT.

Mr. Libby WAS NOT INDICTED ON THE CHARGE OF OUTING ANYBODY!!!

The leakers of Valerie Plame's identity? Why, the Federal Prosecutor, Mr. Fitzgerald, is handling that, and he will nail down the perpetrator in due course.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:10 am
Heck, why not fire the editor of the NYT and...

...They could hire the present religious fanatical dictator of Iran to edit and publish the NYT instead?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
Would you prefer that they hire Rush to edit the NYT. He was just exposed for lying that the NSA program, exposed by the NYT, brought down the group planning tunnel bombings in New York. Maybe the radio stations across the country ought to can his program.

I wager Koppel, who was on the tube for many years, was dropped because of low ratings.

Bernie, prosecutors frequently charge suspects with a lesser crime for expediency purposes. The authorities got Capone, a killer, for income tax evasion.

I think Libby committed treason and ought to be executed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:49 am
Advocate wrote:

Of course you do, and that is why you are not taken for anything more then a leftist fanatic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
It's Elvis!!

Nah, dammit, it's just Joe McCarthy.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
Advocate wrote:
Would you prefer that they hire Rush to edit the NYT. He was just exposed for lying that the NSA program, exposed by the NYT, brought down the group planning tunnel bombings in New York. Maybe the radio stations across the country ought to can his program.

I wager Koppel, who was on the tube for many years, was dropped because of low ratings.

Bernie, prosecutors frequently charge suspects with a lesser crime for expediency purposes. The authorities got Capone, a killer, for income tax evasion.

How did Rush's comment aid and comfort the enemy?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:51 am
NOW we have six bombings in Bombay India!

Perhaps more WIRE TAPS would have revealed this plot before it murdered so many people?

The left are NOT helping to protect our country.

WE NEED TO VOTE THE LEFT OUT THIS NEXT ELECTION!

A nice fair election so they can see that every vote counted was truly against them and their obstructionist policies..
0 Replies