AG says journalists can be prosecuted for publishing leaks

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:31 pm
BernardR wrote:

"The United States is a nation of more than a quarter billion people closely watched by a hoard of journalists. Every bad thing that can happen does happen and much of it is reported in the media, so that a piling on of anecdotes can make any bad thing, however rare, seem common"

Amen

The mainstream American media wants us all to wear hairshirts while they live on unencumbered, because they presume themselves to be America's habadashers
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:47 pm
Re: AG says journalists can be prosecuted for publishing lea
FreeDuck wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
My apologies if this topic has already been started, but I searched around a bit and didn't find one. The Attorney General is saying that he believes the law supports prosecuting journalists for publishing classified information. I find this interesting for a number of reasons.

1) The AG is reinforcing the impression that he has a habit of creative interpretation of the law. See the Unitary Executive Branch and America Spying on Americans.

This is a poltical and not a legal argument, and, as such, has little credence.

Sorry Finn, maybe you didn't notice but this thread is in the Politics forum and not the Legal forum. The words preceding number 1 are "I find this interesting for a number of reasons." So what you are saying has little credence is my enumeration of what I find interesting. Are you saying you don't believe I find it interesting?

Free, where and when you post your comments do not contribute to their credence.

Quote:
2) He didn't specify which laws he's referring to, which makes me think that he is either afraid to have his opinion challenged or he's bluffing in an effort to put the scare in the press.

Or he didn't think a public announcement such as this required an extensive legal justification. Once again, poltical, not legal.

See above.

See above

Quote:
3) He says they have an obligation to enforce the laws, which he has said must be read carefully to get to the conclusion he has drawn (that he can prosecute journalists), meaning, their original intent was not to allow the prosecution of journalists. Why would there be an obligation to enforce such a narrow interpretation in this case, but in the case of other legislation, like FISA and the anti-torture law, he feels no obligation to enforce what is the obvious intent of the law? I'm getting the feeling that this guy is a legal hack who is there for no other reason to find ways around the law and through loopholes in the law.

Sorry Free, but this is blah, blah, blah and blah.

You may have a legitmate argument somewhere in the preceding paragraph but you have not done it justice.

It's obvious from the AG's comments that he has to read the law in a way other than it was intended in order to believe that he has the authority to prosecute journalists. If you find that notion "blah" feel free to skip it.

If you insist that these comments are political and not legal then, again, what you have to offer is not much more than blah blah blah. If on the other hand, you wish to assert a legal argument that supports your contention that it is obvious that the AG has read the law in a manner which he knows is contrary to the spirit of its construction, then you need to offer us something more than your say-so.

Quote:
4) In the section I've bolded, he says that the 1st ammendment right can't trump... and then he trails off about some right that Americans would like to see. I see no competing right to the 1st ammendment in the Constitution. I think he's just making **** up.

Not much of a legal argument, and so I have passed on it.

Again, there is a legal forum for legal arguments. This thread isn't in it.

Then don't attempt to make legal arguments if you do not want them treated as such.

Quote:
5) The whole thing is just absurd because it puts a burden on journalists to know whether the information they receive is classified or not.

The question of value is are journalists the free radicals of society, or do they represent a segment of the soceity on which they report?

It's a bit fuzzy to me, but there was a movie 30 to 40 years ago called Mondo Cane. One of the pieces of this movie involved sea turtles f*cked up by atomic bomb tests hoplessly laying eggs that would never hatch. Anyone watching this movie likely called out "Help the effin turtles! Don;t just stand by and watch them advance towards extinction!"

Thereafter came a movie called "Medium Cool" which addresses whether or not reporters were removed or engaged in the stories they covered: should they have pointed the turtle in the right direction?

And so the question is whether or not journalists are members of the society which they calim to serve. Notice that when we killed al Qaeda in Iraq's NUmero Uno, the Iraqi press cheered at the annuncement of his death. Would this ever have happened in the US? No, man, never.

Our journalist have somehow dedicated themelves to a God that transcends the country in which they live.

This would be all fine and good if this God didn't have a personal hard-on for America.

That's very interesting but mostly blah, blah, blah, and blah. Maybe there's an argument in there somewhere on whether journalists should be prosecuted for espionage, but you've not done it justice.

Weak.

Ok, now that I've taken my digs, I do find your last comments interesting. Why do you think "this God" has a personal hard on for America? Incidentally, I'm unable to discern whether that's good or bad. Bad because it want's to f**k us? Or good because it finds us attractive?

I don't at all think that God has a hard-on for America. I do think, however, that if American journalists are dedicated to a supreme being, their God has a hard-on for America. Why? Because it is clear that the majority of American journalists have a hard-on for America. This ill regard may be their own or divinely inspired but it motivates their actions - numerous unbiased sources urged the NY Times not to run the story on the financial search capabilities of the government, and yet they did.

The grim reality that you and your friends don't seem capable of accepting is that corruption and self-deceit moves as freely to the left of the spectrum as it does to the right.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:06 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

1) The AG is reinforcing the impression that he has a habit of creative interpretation of the law. See the Unitary Executive Branch and America Spying on Americans.

Sorry Finn, maybe you didn't notice but this thread is in the Politics forum and not the Legal forum. The words preceding number 1 are "I find this interesting for a number of reasons." So what you are saying has little credence is my enumeration of what I find interesting. Are you saying you don't believe I find it interesting?

Free, where and when you post your comments do not contribute to their credence.

Finn, if you assert that my comment has no credence because it is not a legal argument, then you must show why only legal arguments have credence. You are restricting the playing field, so the burden is on you. Again, are you saying you don't believe that I find it interesting?

Quote:
Quote:
2) He didn't specify which laws he's referring to, which makes me think that he is either afraid to have his opinion challenged or he's bluffing in an effort to put the scare in the press.

Or he didn't think a public announcement such as this required an extensive legal justification. Once again, poltical, not legal.

See above.

See above

See above.

Quote:
Quote:
3) He says they have an obligation to enforce the laws, which he has said must be read carefully to get to the conclusion he has drawn (that he can prosecute journalists), meaning, their original intent was not to allow the prosecution of journalists. Why would there be an obligation to enforce such a narrow interpretation in this case, but in the case of other legislation, like FISA and the anti-torture law, he feels no obligation to enforce what is the obvious intent of the law? I'm getting the feeling that this guy is a legal hack who is there for no other reason to find ways around the law and through loopholes in the law.

You may have a legitmate argument somewhere in the preceding paragraph but you have not done it justice.

It's obvious from the AG's comments that he has to read the law in a way other than it was intended in order to believe that he has the authority to prosecute journalists. If you find that notion "blah" feel free to skip it.

If you insist that these comments are political and not legal then, again, what you have to offer is not much more than blah blah blah. If on the other hand, you wish to assert a legal argument that supports your contention that it is obvious that the AG has read the law in a manner which he knows is contrary to the spirit of its construction, then you need to offer us something more than your say-so.

Finn, perhaps you could read the article that was linked. The AG says
Quote:
"There are some statutes on the book which, if you read the language carefully, would seem to indicate that that is a possibility," Gonzales said, referring to prosecutions.

I interpret that the way I've said. You are free to offer an alternate interpretation, or ignore the remarks. Again, the requirement that an argument must be a legal one, in a political forum, is one I don't thing you'd want carried about to other threads, or even to your own posts. So here I think it's you who are making **** up.

Quote:
Quote:

Then don't attempt to make legal arguments if you do not want them treated as such.

You have explained how I've not made a legal argument, I've shown you how I wasn't attempting to make a legal argument, and you've told me not to attempt to make legal arguments if I don't want them treated as such. I suggest that you, Finn, are looking for an ego boost and you won't get one from me. Not today, anyway.

Quote:

That's very interesting but mostly blah, blah, blah, and blah. Maybe there's an argument in there somewhere on whether journalists should be prosecuted for espionage, but you've not done it justice.

Weak.

Likewise.

Quote:

The grim reality that you and your friends don't seem capable of accepting is that corruption and self-deceit moves as freely to the left of the spectrum as it does to the right.

I'd suggest maybe it's you who doesn't want to accept that. Your remark is evidence of it. Maybe you could answer my question. Then perhaps you'd know whether or not I am capable of accepting such a notion.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:48 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Finn, if you assert that my comment has no credence because it is not a legal argument, then you must show why only legal arguments have credence. You are restricting the playing field, so the burden is on you. Again, are you saying you don't believe that I find it interesting?

Free I very much enjoy debating you and hold you in high esteem among A2K regulars, however we are approaching inanity with this thread. Your original post clearly strives to make legal arguments. If you choose to shift to political arguments out of convenience that's fine, but I'm not going to give them much credence.

Quote:
Quote:

See above.

See above

See above.

Quote:
Quote:

Finn, perhaps you could read the article that was linked. The AG says
Quote:
"There are some statutes on the book which, if you read the language carefully, would seem to indicate that that is a possibility," Gonzales said, referring to prosecutions.

I interpret that the way I've said. You are free to offer an alternate interpretation, or ignore the remarks. Again, the requirement that an argument must be a legal one, in a political forum, is one I don't thing you'd want carried about to other threads, or even to your own posts. So here I think it's you who are making **** up.

Quote:
Quote:

You have explained how I've not made a legal argument, I've shown you how I wasn't attempting to make a legal argument, and you've told me not to attempt to make legal arguments if I don't want them treated as such. I suggest that you, Finn, are looking for an ego boost and you won't get one from me. Not today, anyway.

Quote:

Weak.

Likewise.

Quote:

I'd suggest maybe it's you who doesn't want to accept that. Your remark is evidence of it. Maybe you could answer my question. Then perhaps you'd know whether or not I am capable of accepting such a notion.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:50 am
It was probably tough to identify the new comments in the preceding, and so here they are:

Free I very much enjoy debating you and hold you in high esteem among A2K regulars, however we are approaching inanity with this thread. Your original post clearly strives to make legal arguments. If you choose to shift to political arguments out of convenience that's fine, but I'm not going to give them much credence.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:30 am
Congressman wants NY Times prosecuted

Quote:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It was probably tough to identify the new comments in the preceding, and so here they are:

Finn, my original post strives to provoke thought and to express my initial impression of the article. Nothing more. I can't make legal arguments when I don't even know what laws he's referring to. I have, in other threads, attempted to make legal arguments though I have no obligation to do so -- that would be the America spying on American's thread. I don't even have a firm stance on this issue other than it smells bad initially.

I also enjoy debating you and hold you in high esteem, but moreso when you stick to your New Year's resolution. :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:59 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Finn, my original post strives to provoke thought and to express my initial impression of the article. Nothing more. I can't make legal arguments when I don't even know what laws he's referring to. I have, in other threads, attempted to make legal arguments though I have no obligation to do so -- that would be the America spying on American's thread. I don't even have a firm stance on this issue other than it smells bad initially.

I also enjoy debating you and hold you in high esteem, but moreso when you stick to your New Year's resolution. :wink:

As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist anything but temptation.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 08:24 pm
This thread becomes very pertinent in light of organizations like the New York Times that goes to press on previously unknown programs to snare terrorist activities, the latest example being the bank money transfer tracking program.

It is my understanding this program is fully legal and the congressional members were briefed. And it has been instrumental in helping track down terrorist plots already. It is particularly insulting given the fact that the New York Times editorialized that Bush had not been doing enough shortly after 911 to catch terrorists, and in fact suggested a program like this. Unbeknownst to them, Bush was in fact getting this program organized already when 911 occurred.

Question, if the New York Times had learned of the particulars of the Normandy invasion ahead of time, and they had published the story, would they be committing treason? And would they have been brought to task for it then? I think the answer is a definite yes.

The question is where are they getting this information about the banking program, the telephone program, etc. Possibly from industry insiders. Also possibly from the CIA or some other government entity. Many think there are enough Clinton holdovers, or leftist anti-Bush types in the CIA, DOD, and other bureaucracies, whereby their hatred for Bush clouds their better judgement. Let us not forget that although some may honor such people as whistleblowers, they may more rightfully be known as traitors.

I think the way to handle this is to send in the investigators, get special prosecutors on the cases, subpoena reporters to reveal their sources, and when they do not, jail them for contempt. Isn't that what happened with the Valerie Plame case? And there is little doubt what is being revealed now in terms of national security is far, far worse, by several orders of magnitude. We have no evidence the Plame case was a crime, but we do know this is a crime. We need to know who is leaking this stuff. Congressmen maybe? CIA maybe? They need to be held accountable as the traitors they are.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 09:53 pm
It has been revealed that the supercilious and hypocriticalNew York Times, JUST AFTER 9/11, PRODDED THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION TO FIND THE SOURCES OF FUNDING FOR THE MUSLIM FANATICS WHO TOOK DOWN THE WTC. Then, paradoxically, 5 years later, they reveal the essence of the program they had pressed on the Administration!!

More to come!!!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:10 pm
First of all, an illegal program may not be classified. In my opinion, the program was not legal and the NTY did nothing wrong. Banks hold their clients' information as agents, and courts have held that such possession is tantamount to possession by customers relative to the Fourth Amendment. Thus, the govt. should have obtained warrants, with probable cause, before reading the bank records. Further, under the constitution, the executive branch has no authority to mount a govt. program without the permission of congress. We know that permission was not obtained.

The administration is crying wolf. We know it disclosed the identity of a covert CIA agent. Had the NYT done that instead of the WH, the latter would have come down on the paper like a ton of bricks. Further, Bush and former Sec. O'Neill mentioned their program to examine bank records just after 9/11. Thus, they gave away the program themselves quite some time ago.

Also, the administration recently talked about troop drawdowns in Iraq. This information is certainly of much more importance to our enemies than information on the old bank-records program.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:57 pm
BOYCOTT NYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For aiding and comforting the enemy!

The American public is overwhelmingly supportive (in polls) of the wiretaps and money tracing so what is the rub? AMERICA WANTS THE NYT TO SHUT THE HELL UP! Does the NYT really think we want Al Qaeda rolling in the dough? Over my dead body!

Americans already knew these programs existed (I certainly did) and we did NOT need the DETAILS, unthank you very much! Any idiot knows that would only jeopardize the effectiveness of catching terror before it hits our soil.

IF we get hit with a terror attack in the not too distant future we will not blame the president or his administration... WE WILL BLAME THE NYT! They can pay for the damage done! They are liable for it now.

How can the spy agencies ever be effective if the NYT is one step ahead giving the terrorists a heads up?

I want to see the editor and writers of this treasonous "news" paper prosecuted to the full extent of the law and behind bars for a long damn time! They did not create the partisan firestorm they expected! It has come back on THEM as a lemon pie in the face. Let's hope they are only hit with pie considering how they have aided the enemy. Let's hope they are hit with a full investigation that will tap their own little treasure trove for years to come, earned from exploiting people with PURE partisan politics. This is not news this is tom foolery! Bury the stories america really is interested and stick on the front page their partisan political slants of the news. I am sick and tired ot this and fed up to here!

They have made me feel unsafe now that our programs are being leaked from top security posts in the government. What would have been a better story would have been to expose the crooked government worker divulging sensitive classified procedures of tracking terrorist funding.

What if our plans of WW2 had been leaked on landing on the beaches Normandy? Would we just white wash over the treason? Why not just send Bin laden weekly memos detailing out battle plans?

I will NEVER EVER buy another NYT news paper as long as I live. YOU HAVE BURNED MY ONION FOR THE LAST TIME!

They have confused the right to know with the wrong to disclose.

Maybe these NYT TRAITORS should spend some time on the battlefield in Iraq, maybe they would LEARN some more respect for what our soldiers are enduring daily so they can sit in their BIG posh new york AIR CONDITIONED high rise and play politics with these brave men and womens lives on the battle field. All paid for my the American people whom they have back stabbed! How about a visit to the soldiers in Iraq from these traitors and see what kind of welcome they receive? About the same kind of welcome their paper is going to get on my doorstep if it ever lands there.

DOWN WITH NYT!

BOYCOTT NYT!!!!!!!!!!

Even the dippy dip democrats Mercer and Harry Reid have chastised the NYT!

I would like to see their stock cut in half, at least, then maybe they might rethink the idiots they hire to work on that radical nutwing rag that they call a NEWS paper.

BOYCOTT NYT!!!!!!!!!!

You were asked not to divulge these sensitive covert DETAILS of the NSA program BY OUR/YOUR COMMANDER AND CHIEF and YOU ignored the request? So I will ignore YOU!

THIS IS TREASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

BOYCOTT NYT!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
Advocate, I believe RexRed speaks for far more Americans than you do, expecially in the heartland of America.

RexRed, thanks for a brutally honest assessment of what is going on here. The only think I would disagree with is maybe not off with their heads.

Advocate, you need to brush up on a little history. FDR had to be talked out of sending in the marines to the Chicago Tribune after he learned they had revealed we had cracked some Japanese code, which threatened to jeopardize our tactical position in the Pacific. So Bush is being very nice and infinitely more politically correct toward these worthless reporters that revel in helping terrorists figure out how we are tracking them.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
Heh, you guys go right on boycotting the NYT, and they will go right on printing what they see fit. That's what 'free press' is all about, really.

For a couple of guys who claim to be pro-American to the extent that you two do, you sure don't seem to support the ideas that America is based upon very often...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 04:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Heh, you guys go right on boycotting the NYT, and they will go right on printing what they see fit. That's what 'free press' is all about, really.

For a couple of guys who claim to be pro-American to the extent that you two do, you sure don't seem to support the ideas that America is based upon very often...

Cycloptichorn

The BOYCOTT is also a freedom...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:11 am
Besides that I can't find a reason, why the NYT is targeted and not the LA Times or the Wall Street Journal, which published the story earlier or a more administration likening - I never like to have the press censored and/or chained.

But since I don't live in the USA and the Americans are customed to such, it really doesn't bother me a lot.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:23 am
Mr. Walter Hinteler-May I respectfully let you know that "Americans cannot be "customed" to such. I am sure that you meant "Accustomed".

You are very much mistaken, Mr. Walter Hinteler. The USA has never had press censorship. You must be thinking of Herr Goebbles when he censored the press every day in the 1930's in Germany!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:08 am
BernardR wrote:
Mr. Walter Hinteler-May I respectfully let you know that "Americans cannot be "customed" to such. I am sure that you meant "Accustomed".

You are very much mistaken, Mr. Walter Hinteler. The USA has never had press censorship. You must be thinking of Herr Goebbles when he censored the press every day in the 1930's in Germany!!!

Sorry for the misspelling and thanks for correcting it.

Actually, I'd thought of the Alien and Sedition Acts and various exertions of influence by influence of presidents on the press, like by Nixon, Clinton and now Bush.

And since I didn't live in the Nazi time, I remember only the censorship in the GDR, Russia and how the Italian media have been controlled.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:26 am
Yes, Mr. Hinteler-"Exertions" but never censorship as bad as that in the 1930's in Germany. If you have not studied that time, you really ought to since it gives a template for all other cases of censorship.

You do know, of course, that according to William L. Shirer in his masterwork, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"

quote--P. 245

"Every morning the editors of the Berlin daily newspapers and the correspondents of those published elsewhere in the Reich gathered at the Propaganda Ministry to be told by Doctor Goebbles or by one of his aides WHAT NEWS TO PRINT AND SUPPRESS, HOW TO WRITE THE NEWS AND HEADLINE IT, WHAT CAMPAIGNS TO CALL OFF OR INSTITUTE AND WHAT EDITORIALS WERE DESIRED FOR THE DAY."

There is no need, Mr. Hinteler, to go all the way back to the Alien and Sedition Acts. Those were over two hundred years ago. We had the best and most complete censorship just recently--in 1933's Germany!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:57 am
BernardR wrote:
If you have not studied that time, you really ought to since it gives a template for all other cases of censorship.

You, BernhardR, during the time at school, pupils here deal four to five times with the Nazi time in history classes.

During my studies at university, I not only had to deal with that period but wrote a thesis about.

I wonder from what you got that I didn't study that period - only because I didn't live at that time?

But no one doubts that there was censorship. Why is this now a topic?
Even these days in the USA are different to that time in Germany, or did I miss the similarities?
0 Replies