Posting photos of A2K members: let's talk about guidelines.

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:07 pm
You're welcome littlek!

That is a something even my family has a hard time boasting of. Pictures of me are very rare.

I have actually posted one photo of myself on A2K though -- it is somewhere out there!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:28 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Actually, I agree with you, CJane, that I should have pm'd Walter. I reacted
fast.

I suppose I should take my fragile ego and put it in a closet, thanks for sharing.

However, I feel badly that Walter is affected about showing his photos, which I've loved. Walter and I are friends, and I regret expressing my reaction to that photo in a post.

As for discussing this all at the meeting, some of us did. I don't remember if Walter was within hearing distance at the time - probably not. The consensus was that it would be hard to get permission with all the photography going on, but that people were unlikely to post an awful photo.
In any case, I didn't specifically ask him to seek permission before showiing
photos of me, another lesson.

I think this is one of those issues that divide humanity!

And, those who care not find it ard to understand those who do!

I am a DO! I confess. I can look quite decent in photos, or, as in most of my ID shots, like a serial killer, or other refuse. (Anyone remember Jerry's girlfriend who could look fantastic, or awful...I'm like that) I would NOT want A2kers who have no reality check to have me fixed forever in their minds as a hellish gorgon, or gaping eejit. (At least any more so than I already am so fixed in their minds)

I KNOW it is shallow and so on, but dammit, I embrace shallowness. Bring me the swallow and the swift!

Now, you hardy souls who care not find us silly, I know....

This thread seems to me a great idea, so that everyone knows the groundrules, and there be no hurt feelings...because we DO all want photos! And we do want folk to be happy with them. So, please work it out.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:32 pm
kickycan wrote:
Why don't you just start a thread the next time there is a gathering called, "I DON'T WANT MY PICTURE POSTED" or some other name like that, and then people can just throw their name in at that point. That seems simple enough to me.

Problem solved.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:42 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
You can post my pictures anytime...even if I am doing something stupid like laying across your lap....and across the lap of ole Scrotum Ears.

Prolly the best pic I ever took, but I'm with Walter.

I'll be ignoring the cry of the "post pix" folks from now on. Interest and energy for to-ing and fro-ing on which pix to post isn't in me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:45 pm
I think there should be another category:

Post my picture but use computer magic to make me look like a human being.

Then I could join in on the festivities.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:31 pm
but gus, my computer isn't good enough to fix this up:

http://www.cegur.com/Albright/DorianGray.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:53 pm
I agree with Deb. I'm not photogenic at all...J_B and I commiserated about this on another thread. I hate the idea that people I know and like here will have some awful picture of me embedded in their mind. Really folks, I don't always go around with my eyes closed or my finger up my nose. Laughing Seriously, I have a very expressive face (so does J_B), and people with expressive faces are notoriously bad photo subjects.

I tried to post my photos from the Chicago gathering that, at least, wouldn't embarrass anyone. (I wasn't the only one there that didn't photograph well.) I apologize if any of my photos bothered anyone. I will be happy to delete any of them. Just "pm" me and let me know.

I admit, I didn't like any of the photos that were posted of me, but then, I rarely do. Hmm. Perhaps the best defense is a good offense. I guess I need to post some of myself that I do like. (Warning: this may take awhile.) If anyone got a decent photo of me at the gathering that hasn't been posted yet, please send me a link so I can see it, okay?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:08 pm
This has given me something to think about. I take a lot of pictures down at the Frying Pan. Frank doesn't care, he's kind of a publicity hound. I'll get written permission from Kicky as soon as he learns to write.

Joe(need a slip from blatham too)Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:13 pm
Hmmm.... I remember that Lola demanded we not post photos of her when she was here in Boston years ago. I posted one of her foot (great shoes). But, I think her reasoning was strictly privacy-related.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:22 pm
So are we all ignoring my obvious solution simply because it is so ingeniously simple, or are you all just trying to piss me off?

Kicky(Me write pretty one day)Can
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:23 pm
Seems a waste of a seperate thread, kicky. Myabe it'd be good for the major get-togethers when people are meeting for the first time and there's lots of planning invovled. The planning threads can get monsterous.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:25 pm
Hey, I've got an idea. Now call me crazy but Why don't you just start a thread the next time there is a gathering called, "I DON'T WANT MY PICTURE POSTED" or some other name like that, and then people can just throw their name in at that point. That seems simple enough to me.

Joe(Where do I come up with this stuff?)Nation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:31 pm
ok, now that i got this out of the way:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAAGA30V2Quo*Q5ALVOQJ4OQsLihSaOP3KdICzv0*egqTQI1lo*cAq2rmQJsO8rmGQtSq*hssfkce*IfKiHkoFafAr5ukWXl8SzsbP6kqpcPAAAAynJrAg/Picture%2077.jpg

anything will fly.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:31 pm
I really think you're going to need a new thread for each get-together. People aren't going to want to wade through this behemoth (well, it will be eventually, if you have everyone coming in here and posting their preference) to see who might or might not want their picture posted. Or will they? Hmmm...

Kickycan(Joe, that's gotta be the dumbest idea I've ever heard)can
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:51 pm
I agree with Kicky that a simple thread for people who don't want their pics posted would be the easiest way to do it. Just add a link on the meeting thread leading to the "I don't want my pics posted" thread.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:52 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
ok, now that i got this out of the way:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAAGA30V2Quo*Q5ALVOQJ4OQsLihSaOP3KdICzv0*egqTQI1lo*cAq2rmQJsO8rmGQtSq*hssfkce*IfKiHkoFafAr5ukWXl8SzsbP6kqpcPAAAAynJrAg/Picture%2077.jpg

anything will fly.

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:39 pm
Er, it's more complicated than I don't want my photo posted. (See littlek's original post).

I can agree that before a meeting those who want to review photos of them express it to each and every photographer - just think, then we could extend this lugubrious why and why not delight into actual get together time. Kidding. It would only be a minute, there are only a minority of us who have some reactivity on these issues.

So, personal announcement, or a separate thread, like Kicky says - as many don't read every single page of the immense planning type threads. Or maybe even of the smaller planning type threads.

Eva, I don't know if I have a photo of you. I lost a roll, the one of my walk just before the Sunday get together and at Sublime's and that was when I did take some personal photos - and damn, I think I had some good pool player shots..

I enjoy that I didn't go whole hog on a2ker photos because very early in my trip both Walter and Thomas said no when I asked to take their photos in front of the Frank Lloyd Wright house we visited. Well, that, and because soon it became apparent that this would be a meeting with four thousand photos.

Meantime, back at the ranch, Diane and I went to an outdoor art exhibit at the library in Corrales today, and went to the Indigo Crow cafe later.
A small a2k meeting, as it were. No photos...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:26 pm
I hate having my picture taken. There are probably more pictures of me on A2K at the moment than all other pictures combined; I avoid cameras whenever possible. That said, I took the, "when in Rome" approach during the Chicago meet. I knew there would be cameras everywhere and also felt the idea of making a general fuss would distract from my fun at the gatherings (and I certainly had a ton of fun). Of the numerous pictures posted, there are only one or two I would have 'pre-approved' and very few that make me squirm. The middle ground pictures are out there; so be it. Do they give a better sense of the gathering - sure they do. Do I like them - not at all. Should they be removed - no.

I think any member should be able to ask that a specific picture be removed if it bothers them; I think this was done in this specific case. I also think anyone should be able to request up-front that their picture not be taken and/or posted on the internet. But I truly believe that the A2K gatherings are worth sharing with those who can't attend.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:38 pm
J_B - where is this I always wanted to see what you look like. :wink:
My deal is that I won't post a picture that is unflattering.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:42 pm
The picture that set me - and also Diane - off on this whirligig (though she hasn't, last I know, involved herself in the whirligig past an early comment or two) is still there in another thread (it was posted twice). I'm leaving it, thanks to all the getoveryourself comments.

I should amend my last post to say that Diane and I would have liked Walter to be with us today. We both like him very much.
0 Replies