ways to cut down calories

hamburger

Thu 4 May, 2006 12:44 pm
calories
if you want to know how the people of buenos aires (the portenos) stay in shape , read this article from the BBC . it's actually quite hilarious .
i'd have to say , that while we saw an awful lot of poverty and poor people during our recent two-day stay in buenos aires , we also saw a lot of beautiful people . how so much poverty can co-exist with "the rich and beautiful" is still a puzzle to me .
oh , yes ... the dogwalkers ... didn't see it any other place . mostly young men - but a few young women too - , were walking as many as six to eight dogs through the city-parks . the walkers were all well dressed , the dogs well-behaved ; later in the morning we saw many of them meeting in one of the city parks were they were chatting , smoking ...
our guide told us , that people in apartments like to have dogs - some pretty big beasts - as companions , and that the dogwalkers are well paid . hbg

...THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE...
0 Replies

hamburger

Thu 4 May, 2006 12:49 pm
calories
a dogwalker in buenos aires

http://hannovk.de/pictures/2002argentina/november/dogs-in-park.jpg
0 Replies

giantgem

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:46 pm
imagine the calories he's gonna burn if one dog went missing.
0 Replies

flushd

Thu 4 May, 2006 09:28 pm
Re: ways to cut down calories
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Cut down on the coffee and I don't mean go decaffeinated. I mean, don't drink as much. The roasting creates acrylamide, a carcinogen. Coffee alone can contribute 13% to 39% of your exposure to the stuff.
Going vegetarian can cut your calories very well. I mean, have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? I haven't.

This about the roasting coffee and carcinogens I did not know.
Shocked

I HAVE seen fat vegetarians and vegans. Y'know the ones that live off french fries made with canola oil. Laughing my butt off. If you're gonna go vegan, ya think ya'd put in the extra effort not to be a tub. But, it IS hard to get full....'meat-full' as I call it...as a vegan. So in goes the donuts.

Okay okay...you've already got enough good tips.

I think you're going about this arse-backwards though. So much more fun to exercise and then eat a lot of good food. Calorie counting and watching every speck ain't fun, is it?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Thu 4 May, 2006 11:21 pm
Oh, drat, you've made me have to jump in and be Annoying Veg Girl. Laughing

Fiber is much more filling than meat. Meat has zip fiber and the reason it makes you feel full is because it's SUCH a lot of work for your body to digest, and just sits there forever. Sorry, girl, but grains are more filling and stick with you longer, in a better way, than meat any day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Fri 5 May, 2006 08:08 am
Except you need protien in your diet also. So eating just veggies and grains only isn't exactly the best route. Although you can eat beans, soy products, but still chicken, beef, and fish are the best protien sources.
0 Replies

giantgem

Fri 5 May, 2006 08:29 am
exercise is definitely fun but then the thought of the trouble that you need to book a court to play squash, find a partner to play tennis, travel to a gym or even form a team to play soccer already makes you tired. not that i dont love the adrenaline pumping reaction, i love cycling and love the indulgence in good food after cycling even more!!

eating is definitely fun but then there must be some limits to be. like you cant be eating burger king 24/7.

for standard, one person requires about 1500kcal per day, depending on the activity he's gonna perform. but i bet everyone eats more than this so the ways to help you cut down calories makes you stay conscious that you cant eat like a cow cos a cow has 9 stomachs while we have only 1.

if we overshot calories intake then there's only one way, to burn them-by exercising.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Fri 5 May, 2006 09:22 am
Re: ways to cut down calories
flushd wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Cut down on the coffee and I don't mean go decaffeinated. I mean, don't drink as much. The roasting creates acrylamide, a carcinogen. Coffee alone can contribute 13% to 39% of your exposure to the stuff.

This about the roasting coffee and carcinogens I did not know.
Shocked

Yeah, it's called the Maillard reaction and it happens to any food that is cooked to more than 120°C which is about 248°F. Its the high temperatures, you see, which makes amino acids react with sugars in the food.

Bread, bread rolls and toast can contribute 10 to 30%. French fries 16 to 30%. Potato crisps (chips) from 6 to 46%.

The best tip is therefore not to cook your food on too high a temperature only so it goes slightly brown. The more golden brown it is (or burnt) the worse it is for you.
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 5 May, 2006 10:09 am
calories
...COFFEE - A HEALTHY BEVERAGE ?...

many studies have shown that "moderate" coffee consumption offers some health benefits .
as always , the word to stress is "moderate" !
if you are now drinking six to ten cups of coffee , try cutting down to two or three , or drink smaller cups - say two to three ounce cups .
from what i know , "moderate" coffee consumption has not resulted in wide-spread disease .
we can all overdo things ; even excess water consumption is not good .
so why not adopt a "moderate" life style and enjoy life ? it doesn't cost you anything extra - probably saves you some money - and should make you feel happier .
hbg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Fri 5 May, 2006 01:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Except you need protien in your diet also. So eating just veggies and grains only isn't exactly the best route. Although you can eat beans, soy products, but still chicken, beef, and fish are the best protien sources.

there's protein in tons and tons of foods, Slappy, not just meat. And nutritionists now know that the whole "complete" protein thing, you know, how they used to say you have to carefully combine vegetables and grains to get all the amino acids, is not a problem. Saying that meat is the best source is highly debatable, since it's also loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol, interferes with calcium absorbtion, etc.

Anyone who eats a reasonably varied diet gets plenty of protein. Lack of protein in the diet is only a concern in countries where people are commonly suffering from malnutrition. Those of us in developed countries get far too much protein, not the other way around; that's why diseases related to excess protein (osteoporosis, kidney stones) are very common here, and diseases related to lack of protein basically unheard of.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Fri 5 May, 2006 02:06 pm
That's why I mentioned fish and poultry as "meat" other than red meat, which are great sources, followed by dairy and soy. When I say "best," I mean they contain the highest amounts. Like you point out, balance is key.

And as a side note, I don't think there's been any studies documenting high-protien diets can CAUSE any complications. However, if you have an existing condition, than too much protien can definitely cause more problems. That's a myth the vegetarians like to toss around, and one I have paid attention to since I usually consume 200+ grams daily.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Fri 5 May, 2006 02:46 pm
Hmm, I dunno, i don't think the problems with high protein diets-- like messing up calcium absorbtion-- are only if you have pre-existing problems; I think some studies have shown that it can be a cause. However, you could well be right; it's never really occurred to me to research whether it been shown to cause things or just exacerbate them. My family has kidney problems, so my research has been more on the existing-condition end of things.

In any case, thank you for a lovely, civil, and interesting discussion of it... I absolutely love it when I find that I can discuss this type of thing with someone and just share points of view and no one gets rude or anything. It's amazing how often talking about diet gets ugly! Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 5 May, 2006 03:34 pm
Another group of people who need extra protein are those who do a lot of strength training. Building muscle requires extra protein.

To the original question, the best way I've found to reduce calories is to eat at home and meal plan. I'm much more likely to overeat if I roam the cupboards and refrigerator for lunch or dinner.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Fri 5 May, 2006 05:14 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Hmm, I dunno, i don't think the problems with high protein diets-- like messing up calcium absorbtion-- are only if you have pre-existing problems; I think some studies have shown that it can be a cause. However, you could well be right; it's never really occurred to me to research whether it been shown to cause things or just exacerbate them. My family has kidney problems, so my research has been more on the existing-condition end of things.

In any case, thank you for a lovely, civil, and interesting discussion of it... I absolutely love it when I find that I can discuss this type of thing with someone and just share points of view and no one gets rude or anything. It's amazing how often talking about diet gets ugly! Shocked Laughing

Yes, it's pre-existing conditions; high protien diets don't cause kidney problems like some believe.

In any case, I'm right, and you're wrong, you DUMB-ASS!!!!
(u no I luv u! LOLOLOLOL!!!)
0 Replies

flushd

Fri 5 May, 2006 06:01 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Oh, drat, you've made me have to jump in and be Annoying Veg Girl. Laughing

Fiber is much more filling than meat. Meat has zip fiber and the reason it makes you feel full is because it's SUCH a lot of work for your body to digest, and just sits there forever. Sorry, girl, but grains are more filling and stick with you longer, in a better way, than meat any day.

Yeah I know all that. Was a Veg for 8 yrs myself. You never get that nice heavy deep feeling without meat.

On the other side: sometimes it feels good to feel light. Smile
0 Replies

cyphercat

Fri 5 May, 2006 09:32 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

Yes, it's pre-existing conditions; high protien diets don't cause kidney problems like some believe.

hahahaha! U rock dude! ROFLMAO! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 7 May, 2006 09:16 am
J_B wrote:
...To the original question, the best way I've found to reduce calories is to eat at home and meal plan. I'm much more likely to overeat if I roam the cupboards and refrigerator for lunch or dinner.

Bingo. Cook at home and you know exactly what's going into everything that's going into you.

Here's some info on fast food: http://www.helpguide.org/life/fast_food_nutrition.htm#guide Click on the best and worst fast food of 2002 and you'll see that a Big Mac, for example, has 590 calories.

For more traditional restaurant meals (with an emphasis on ethnic foods, such as Thai), here's an article: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/wtmngment/weightloss/articles/0,,238_181687,00.html

For more information, go to Google and search with these criteria: calories restaurant meals
0 Replies

giantgem

Mon 8 May, 2006 06:05 am
haha! the answer has been right in front yet i did not realise. no wonder putting on 10 pounds can be so easy when you roam those biscuits and junk you find in your cupboards. but i just get lazy to cook myself. or maybe the problem doesnt lies in cooking, it's with the washing.
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 8 May, 2006 07:04 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

While it may be true that high protein diets do not cause kidney disease, there's another side to this.

A person doesn't ususally know they have kidney problems until the damage to the kidney has gone quite far.

So, a person would probably feel perfectly fine eating a high protein diet, without realizing their kidneys are already impared, and are damaging them further with excess protein.
0 Replies

giantgem

Mon 8 May, 2006 08:01 am
eating more of everything is harmful. even proteins with the use of helping growth of new cells and repair worn out cells cant be taken in excess. vitamins are needed for healthy growth of cells also cant be taken in excess. it's really scary how people can try the atkins diet-imagine the meat chewing every day and the hole it's gonna burn in your pocket.
0 Replies