ways to cut down calories

Wed 3 May, 2006 07:52 am
please contribute any ways to cut down on calories without the sweating part that is exercise, exercise and exercise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 6,728 • Replies: 49
Topic Closed
No top replies

Wolf ODonnell

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:24 am
Re: ways to cut down calories
giantgem wrote:
please contribute any ways to cut down on calories without the sweating part that is exercise, exercise and exercise.

This is one thing that really gets to me. People talking about not eating those foods or that foods because they have lots of calories and hence are bad for you. Whatever happened to doing exercise in order to burn off your calories?

Well, a surefire way is to ensure that you don't eat anything between meals.

Cut down on the coffee and I don't mean go decaffeinated. I mean, don't drink as much. The roasting creates acrylamide, a carcinogen. Coffee alone can contribute 13% to 39% of your exposure to the stuff.

Eat more fruits and veg. Eat less starchy foods, but don't cut them out entirely, as the Atkins Diet is detrimental to health in the long run. Check the labels on every bit of processed food you buy. In fact, don't buy any processed food. Cook everything yourself. Make your own ketchup if you need to.

And no soft drinks.

No cookies. No ice cream. No ice-lollies (no idea what they're called in American English).

Going vegetarian can cut your calories very well. I mean, have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? I haven't.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:27 am
Are you trying to just cut calories, or lose weight?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:28 am
Easy. Put down the fork and back away from the table.
0 Replies

material girl

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:29 am
Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day, eat low calorie food, try to stick to fruit and veg with a bit of meat.
Drink lots of water.Avoid processed food.

I usually eat crisps (1 pack)in the evening(hence my huge arse) and I looked at the calorie count of the differnt packets Ive had. I was amazed to see that there was 100 calorie difference between diffrent types.

My friend lost over a stone at Weightwatchers, she ate foods that had less than 5% fat, so have a look on th einfo section of the food you buy.
0 Replies

xingu

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:47 am
Eat a lot of vegetables; they're good for you and low in calories. Walk a lot. No need to run. Find different places to walk, parks, trails or neighborhoods.

Drink teas and coffee. Stay away from sugar water drinks.

Fruits are good but they have a lot of sugar so don't overdo them. I prefer to blend my fruits in a blender making smoothies. I add low fat yogurt or some ice cream. You need some fat to absorb fat soluble vitamins.

But most important; stay active. Don't think sitting all day eating apples and spinach is good for you. Muscles and brain; use them or lose them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 3 May, 2006 08:53 am
My best tip is to grow your own food. Who needs a gym when you have a garden? Your food tastes better after all that effort coaxing it out of the ground.

Eat your food a state that is closest to the way it was grown. Eat a peach, not a can of peaches. Cook dried beans in broth instead of using over processed canned. In fact, get rid of all your canned foods except for tomatoes. Skip other processed foods too.

Esquire magazine had a cool little deal a few months ago showing the calories saved by making simple, painless switches and how many pounds that amounted to by the end of a year:

Using mustard instead of mayonaise.
Drinking only sugar free sodas.
Light beer instead of regular beer.
Regular coffee instead of fancy coffee bar coffamochachincocarmels (some of those have nearly 1,000 calories - half a days worth of food for most people).

Some of these really amounted to a lot of calories. I just recycled that magazine yesterday. I wish I still had it now.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Wed 3 May, 2006 09:21 am
I have stopped snacking on lard. I used to enjoy a little mouthful of the stuff now and then (sometimes even a whole block of it) straight from the fridge......mmmmmmm.

Oh, and sticky toffee pudding. I have cut that down to three times a day, despite the cravings.
0 Replies

material girl

Wed 3 May, 2006 09:22 am
MMMMMMmmmm, laaaaaard.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 3 May, 2006 09:38 am
You don't have to become a sweaty mess to exercise.

Toning your muscles will not only help you look thinner, you will look better overall.

I've seen thin people who look awful because they have no muscle tone.
0 Replies

material girl

Wed 3 May, 2006 09:39 am
If you stand up straight yuo can look half a stone lighter immediately.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 3 May, 2006 09:44 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I have stopped snacking on lard. I used to enjoy a little mouthful of the stuff now and then (sometimes even a whole block of it) straight from the fridge......mmmmmmm.

Oh, and sticky toffee pudding. I have cut that down to three times a day, despite the cravings.

Sometimes I put lard in a large frying pan and put it up to heat....then, I'll add in chicken skin and watch until it gets golden brown.

Makes a delicious soup with watercress on the side.
0 Replies

hamburger

Wed 3 May, 2006 10:15 am
losing weight
his lordship wrote : "I have stopped snacking on lard".

sadly , one cannot find good lard in canada . growing up in germany , i recall that lard-sanwiches were quite a treat . my mother would buy a chunk from "pigfat" from the butcher and cook it with onions and apples ... delicious !!! when spread on on whole-grain dark rye bread - it sure never made us overweight . a better version of lard in germany is "gaense-schmalz" (goose-lard) ; still to be found in some of the finer restaurants .
there is really no secret to maintaining a reasonable level of weight : eat wholesome foods in moderation (nothing wrong in including a scoop of icecream in the summer - particularly over freshly picked strawberries - selfpicked are best) and get a reasonable amount of exercise - walking and swimming works for us .
best not to go from one extreme to the other : gorging on food one day and pretending to starve the next day .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Wed 3 May, 2006 10:49 am
cut down on calories
if you are concerned about your weight - and your health - you might want to read the article in forbes magazine .
it seems thsat the british are healthier than americans even after discounting for racial and healthcare factors ... and the reason is probably ... OBESITY !
even more reason to go easy on big slushies and "supersize me" fries ! but who is going to convince the kids of this ?
hbg
...BRITISH ARE HEALTHIER...
0 Replies

giantgem

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:49 am
rule no 1: never eat potato chips from the bag
rule no 2: it's okay to give yourself some small treat like pastry, ice cream of chocolate so you can think about that small treat you're gonna get.
rule no 3: stop one bus stop before your destination and walk there
rule no 4: drink your soup first before eating
rule no 5: never ever touch anything with fake sugar

oh ya, guess what? smucker jam has only 10calories!!!
0 Replies

giantgem

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:50 am
hams are actually fattening and i think it's better to use turkey breast.
0 Replies

hamburger

Thu 4 May, 2006 10:31 am
calories
"hams are actually fattening and i think it's better to use turkey breast. "

sure , sure , but i'll still have a slice of dark whole-grain rye with butter and smoked ham once or twice a week (turkey breast the rest of the week). hbg
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 4 May, 2006 10:44 am
One simple thing(which was already mentioned) was cut out the sugars. I'm convinced one reason so many American kids today are lard-asses is because all the sugar they stuff down their throats: soda, candy, soft drinks, and even starchy carbs like a lot of potatoes, white bread, pasta.

The sugar you consume that isn't used as energy is stored as fat. Drink diet soda instead of regular, drink more water instead of other soft drinks and juices. Oh yea, and DRINK WATER.

And very simply, write down an estimate of how many calories you're consuming every day. Then figure out how to cut that number down.
0 Replies

mac11

Thu 4 May, 2006 10:55 am
Substitutions are a good way to cut down the calories - lowfat or skim milk instead of whole. Same with cheese, yogurt, and other dairy productts.

More veggies in recipes or meals can fill you up without adding calories.
0 Replies

hamburger

Thu 4 May, 2006 11:25 am
calories
as slappy said : "DRINK WATER !!!"

if you need something with a little bit of sparkle and taste (slightly acid),
try mineralwater ; not only has it a bit of taste , it helps your digestion and (obviously) contains minerals .
in europe and south-america you often see that at mealtimes a large bottle of mineral-water will be sitting on the table to be shared by all .
try it , you may like it (and NO CALORIES ! quite the opposite ! hah , hah !).
hbg

"apollinaris" is a popular german mineral-water ; it's also available in canadian supermarkets

http://www.tonychor.com/archive/apollinaris.gif
0 Replies