Are Canadians just way too wishy washy?

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:52 am
The other day, I was ruminating over Canada's unofficial national anthem, 'Raise a Little Hell' by Trooper, and I thought hmm...it's not 'Raise Lots of Hell' or even just 'Raise Hell in General', but 'Raise a Little Hell'. Are we just softies at heart?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,066 • Replies: 68
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 08:38 am
Maybe. Oh, I don't know. I guess that depends on what you mean by...

OH MY GOD! I must pack up and move south again post haste!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:24 am
While being a reserve soldier I met a Canadian IDF Christian volunteer (he was a combat soldier with motivation higher than average one of the Israeli natives). I was surprised to learn from him that Canada had very small and poorly-equipped Armed Forces. It is the world's second country in area of its territory, and its Armed Forces are smaller than those of such a tiny country as Israel (I do not have exact stsistical information, since the latter is classified).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:28 am
Our military is pretty piss-poor steissd...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:33 am
Comparing Israel's need for an army with Canada's is meaningless. Besides, Israel gets plenty of help with its military needs from its American ally. I suspect Canada is on its own in terms of military financing.

And who does Canada need to protect itself from? The U.S.? On second thought, maybe they do need to beef up their armed forces...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:51 am
Perhaps they should, eh?

Really, thgouh, they only completely disengaged from Great Britain in, what, the '70s? By that time we had NORAD installations all over Canada, they only shared a border with us, Alaska provided a nice buffer between them and the USSR, and it was very, very much in our interests that nothing happen to them. What the hell would they need to raise a large army for?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:07 am
Of course, Canada does not have hostile countries on its border. But neither does the USA, and the only problem with neighboring country, namely the problem of illegal Mexican immigrants does not require nuclear potential the USA posesses, this problem can be solved by means of Border Guard troops armed with light weapons.
But Canada may use its Army, Navy and Air Force to protect its interests and interests of its suzerain nation (the UK, I mean) overseas, if necessary.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:11 am
But it doesn't need to; it is not likely to face any crises in the immediate future because of its lack of a potent killing organization.

The louse (not that I mean to compare Canada to a parasite, though I bear no particular ill-will toward individual lice, either) used to have wings. Didn't need them, so, as it evolved into its present niche, it saved the energy it used to put into growing wings by not having them.

Canada has been reduced.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:17 am
Canada has been reduced?

Of COURSE Canadians are wishy washy!

And sweet.

And cute.

Just look at that wee, sweet, fluffy little easyBeth - I think it is the maple syrup, the snow and the moosy/caribouey thingies - don't they boss the Canajuns around and stuff?

And, like, what is the national emblem - a falling leaf and what, the beaver? Doesn't even have a smegging pouch!
0 Replies

owi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:18 am
Canada does not save its energy, they only use it to play great ice hockey. They just defeated the Checks with a superb 8:4 victory and fight for the championship on sunday! Great job!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:30 am
Was watching NHL tonight on espn a couple weeks back -- dunno why, just couldn't be bothered to change the channel, i guess -- and heard, out of the corner of my ear, a Death Cab for Cutie reference.

Now why on earth would they be dropping Death Cab for Cutie on espn? I didn't get it. Then I recomembered: DCFC is a canajun band, of course...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:13 am
They don't allow mooses or caribou in our building, something about the weight restrictions in the elevators....well, it wasn't for lack of trying anyway, but there was a notice sent....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:15 am
Actually, Canada has a very efficient killing organization, snow. Kills lots of people every year....that and Molson's...when Molson's, snow and snowmobiles team up, they are way lethal...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:18 am
Hey, cavfancier, speaking of Canadian beer: When I was in college in Upstate NY, we used to be able to get O'Keefe Ale. Is that still around? I remember liking it!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:46 am
O'Keefe eh...think it is still being made, but I don't think it is an independent brewery anymore. I may be wrong, but I think Carling-O'Keefe was bought out by Molson. If anyone knows for sure, enlighten us.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:48 am
Actually, what is very cool is that Brick brewery bought the rights to produce Red Cap, another Canadian classic, and they are selling it in Stubbies Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:59 am
Thanks, cav. I had a feeling O'Keefe was no longer what it was. I guess brewery consolidation is as much a trend in Canada as it is in the US. But I'll bet you have some nice microbreweries, too!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:07 pm
So what are Canada's greatest exports ? Neil Young, Bryan Adams and milllions of trees and that Mounty who joined Chicago Police on that TV show and there must be loads of other valuable stuff, like beer.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:11 pm
Margaret Atwood's a good writer.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:16 pm
You can have William Shatner back.
0 Replies