I just finished hanging my very first show!!

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:07 pm
Everything went well, although by the end of the evening, my throat was so raw and I was so tired that I was just ready to collapse! I told everyone that they didn't want to get too close, but several people insisted on hugs anyway! Shocked I hope they don't regret it...

Almost none of the Serious Art Crowd showed up anyway. The museum curator told me that it wasn't a bad turnout, but it really wasn't too many people. There was another gallery opening at the same time, and apparently it wasn't too busy either, so I guess people just weren't in the mood to go out. I was a little disappointed in the turnout, but really, almost everyone I hoped to see was there.

Only one person was sort of weird about my work. He came and stood near me, silently. He had a half-smile on his face, looking at me but saying nothing (and it's not like he was a stranger, I wait on him at the restaurant and we talk art all the time). So I asked him if he'd been upstairs to look at it; he nodded, said nothing, but continued to stand there looking at me. This was uncomfortable, so I kind of laughed and said, "That good, eh?" ...long pause while he silently nodded... then finally, "Yeah, that looks like your work..." Laughing I don't care if he didn't like it, I just wish he hadn't continued to stand there silently half-smiling at me!

On the whole, people were more enthusiastic than I'd dared to hope they'd be. And now I can finally relax and forget about it...just wait for the dough to start rollin' in!!! <rubs hands together gleefully and misguidedly> Cool
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:09 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Cyphercat--

The full membership of A2K will be attending vicariously.

Hold your dominion.

I guess it didn't matter how many of those useless "real life" people showed up anyway, I had all you guys! <grin>
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:21 pm
it sounds good Very Happy

don't expect a huge turnout until people begin to know your name and you get a reputation as producing interesting work - you will! it seems to have gone very well with the other gallery having a turnout that was no bigger.

I hope you sell but don't be cast down if you don't - it's a matter of the right people with money to spare coming through the door - many will love your work but not have the money.

Noone sold a painting today at our show and it could go the same again tomorrow Crying or Very sad - we sold a few cards, that's all. Lot's of compliments but no cash Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:35 pm
I don't expect to sell anything, really...not that I'd mind if i did! This is a poor little town; heaven knows I've hardly ever bought anything from any of the local artists, either...I'm perfectly content with just having people like the show!

Now let's hear more about your show, vivien! You mentioned it's a group effort-- did you all have a theme for your show?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:40 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Everything went well, although by the end of the evening, my throat was so raw and I was so tired that I was just ready to collapse! I told everyone that they didn't want to get too close, but several people insisted on hugs anyway! Shocked I hope they don't regret it...

Almost none of the Serious Art Crowd showed up anyway. The museum curator told me that it wasn't a bad turnout, but it really wasn't too many people. There was another gallery opening at the same time, and apparently it wasn't too busy either, so I guess people just weren't in the mood to go out. I was a little disappointed in the turnout, but really, almost everyone I hoped to see was there.

Only one person was sort of weird about my work. He came and stood near me, silently. He had a half-smile on his face, looking at me but saying nothing (and it's not like he was a stranger, I wait on him at the restaurant and we talk art all the time). So I asked him if he'd been upstairs to look at it; he nodded, said nothing, but continued to stand there looking at me. This was uncomfortable, so I kind of laughed and said, "That good, eh?" ...long pause while he silently nodded... then finally, "Yeah, that looks like your work..." Laughing I don't care if he didn't like it, I just wish he hadn't continued to stand there silently half-smiling at me!

On the whole, people were more enthusiastic than I'd dared to hope they'd be. And now I can finally relax and forget about it...just wait for the dough to start rollin' in!!! <rubs> Cool

Too hell with those clowns cyphercat! Ive been surrounded by Artist, Art and museums my whole life my whole life. My Bestfreinds are artist (prolific). Your good! No lie!

I was really surprised how good you were. Give that goofball a pad and pencil and tell him to draw you something? Then when he draws some preschool crap say; "AHH HA! Looks like your work."

Bad first show you say????? Welcome to the club! Suck it up kid!

Now get out there and draw....DRAW!!!! DRAW LIKE THE WIND I TELL YOU!!!!!! THEN MAKE THOSE BASTARDS EAT IT.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:48 pm
<snork>

You a strange, strange man, 'Migo...And that's why we all love you so much, too! Laughing

Thanks for the words of encouragement! (Especially the preschool crap part...that made me laugh...)

And now, my friend?

Now I am off, off to draw--- draw like the wind!!! I'm going to draw the best damn drawing I've ever drawn, and I'm gonna draw it for....Amigo!!!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:50 pm
Shocked Shocked Shocked

You didn't say the eat it part before!!

Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:59 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

You didn't say the eat it part before!!

Laughing
You saw that huh? I thought of that one at the last minute. A little finishing touch there.

Hey! I'm not weird! Evil or Very Mad ......... Very Happy

P.S. My ex said the same thing. But thats why all the chicks dig me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:29 pm
Cypher, the main thing, I think, is that you broke the ice, as it were. The smiler probably meant well. I wish you had kissed him for it. Whatever you do, listen to what Vivien says. She, Osso and Lightwizard are the voices of wisdom for this business.
I just came back from our show I organized (of the works of six artists--all emeritus professors--showing three paintings each at a symposium of our university). None were for sell, so the only measure of success for the show was the nature of the comments. The fellow who showed next to me does the most elegant, tasteful, classical work. I, by contrast, am very expressionist and painterly. Someone commented to me that the other fellow is anal retentive while I am very anal aggressive. I took that as a great compliment.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:36 pm
God, don't you just hate it when someone just STANDS there, not saying anything....just looking, when a comment of some sort is appropriate.

What's your problem bub?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 09:56 pm
Argh, did I say "for sell"? Make that "for sale." PLEASE!!!
Yeah, that guy reminds me of the flasher who on a very cold might asked my wife if he could just describe himself.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:01 am
I assumed smiler had the hots for cyphercat...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:21 am
Yeah, could be. But what a lousy "pick up" technique.

Cypher, how are you feeling today?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:28 pm
No, it wasn't to do with having the hots for me! It was pretty easy to read, my mom and boyfriend were both right there, and they could tell it was to let me know wordlessly that he had no positive input to give. Which, again, is fine; but really, I wish he could have talked about what he'd suggest I work on or something, if he had to keep standing there! My boyfriend's cute little niece was there right at the same time and I wanted to go see her, but Mr Sucking The Air Out of the Room wouldn't let me get away! Laughing

Anyway...thanks for asking how I'm feeling, JL-- I wish this stupid flu would go away! Mad Blech... Maybe I'll start a thread for people's get better fast advice...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 04:18 pm
Unless you get a secondary infection, there's no point in going to a doctor. Just drink a lot of water, some greasy chicken soup, ibuprofen and rest.
Oh, and keep in touch with us. Knowing that people appreciate you is a curative in itself.
Love, health and sucess to you, Cypher
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:16 pm
Yippee! I made a sale! Very Happy

I made back the money I put into the show twice over...And it's darn good timing since we're moving next month and every penny helps! But I'll be having a bit of fun with the money too, of course... Wink

Thanks again to everyone for your good wishes...Viv, JL, how are things going with you and your shows?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:24 pm
Cypher, you are a star!

Well done, old girl.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 01:25 am
well done!

to answer your question:

our group show was a great success for praise and interest Smile and very very very low on sales Sad - partly our own fault maybe as we didn't put the normal effort into the publicity as we were all horribly busy with other stuff. Never mind - people may remember work they liked and return later when they have money!

I don't know how the gallery show is going, or the one at someone's house - won't bother to check until the end - but I don't know if abstracts will sell well at the gallery, He likes to have a variety of work on show but a lot of his customers like more traditional (and cheaper!) stuff. It's the first time that I've shown work there that is all abstract.

I should have put some work in a pastel show but have simply had no time to do anything for it.

here's hoping for more sales for you Very Happy
0 Replies