I just finished hanging my very first show!!

cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:52 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Yes, Quetzalcoatl is especially good. I pariticularly like the way you make him look almost cute (great for children's books). I say "almost" cute because of your prudent use of skulls and the miscievious epression on the serpent's face. The Feathered Serpent was, in Toltec and Aztec cultural fact, monstrous to behold. I have done an abstract of the high priest of Quetzalcoatl, Ce Acatle Tepoltzin--as I envisage his charisma.*

* He, the human priest, was, like other high priests of other gods, conFUSED with the God he represented.

I've been fascinated with Aztec and Toltec culture since I was a kid-- I remember my first world history book talking about Quetzalcoatl, and that inspired me to read more about the Aztecs on my own. Then later I read a book called The Apple Stone which involved him. So he's figured in my imagination for a long time! The Apple Stone is probably why I had to make him a bit whimsical; that was a really fun and humorous book, and he was terrifying in a gleeful kind of way. I hope I get a chance to see your interpretation of him, JL!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:02 pm
Vivien wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

Now, I know fantasy art is not everyone's cuppa, but bear in mind that illustration for kids books is my goal, so I think my style works well for that purpose. Also, I AM capable of realism, and just to prove it, I'll post a couple of those first! Very Happy

These are seriously GOOD! (and I'm tempted to go for the '!!!!' record!) and whether they are everyones cuppa or not they'd know that Very Happy

I loved them and would have loved to see really clear images from them - have you got a website? These would make a brilliant start for one if you haven't. There are good free websites out there like sitekreator.

Etching and woodblock would suit your way of working I'd think and you'd get multiple prints then from a piece of work.

Thanks Vivien! I've seen some of your sketches (in the Cat Room, I think?) and you do absolutely beautiful work yourself! Very Happy

As far as the website and getting clearer images-- I'd love to do that, but I don't really know how that works. My mom has a scanner, but I doubt it's large enough to accomodate them; how do most artists get good clear images online? Are there scanners large enough for that kind of thing or do you just use really good photos?

Oh, and etching-- I'll be taking a printmaking class next semester (I'll finally be at a school with an art program! YAAAAAY!) so i hope I'll finally get to try lithography and etching and all that kind of thing; I've always wanted to!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:03 pm
Yes, Cypher, some day when I learn how to transmit photos. A small gallery where I have been showing paintings is making up a website. That'll probably become my means of sharing work with A2Kers.

By the way, I also love the Elderly Statesman. His expression is priceless.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:16 pm
hee hee...I just looked back over at who all's posted-- so many of my favorite people! Very Happy

Lord E, I hope you do start taking some classes; artwork is too much fun to let your talents go to waste! Classes are great for the camaraderie. And perhaps you could do a series of paintings based on your favorite kitchen implements!

Sakhi, BBB, Material Girl, Noddy, Freeduck, Squinney, Region, Boomer-- it's so nice to hear encouragement from people I like so much!

....I love my a2k family... <dopey>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:16 pm
Running in and catching up ...

very nice. very very nice.

I'm reacting as a consumer, not as any kind of artist.

Several of those make me think about kids' books with the pages torn out - because someone liked the pictures so much. You've got some real tear-outable work here.

Congrats and good luck!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:20 pm
Sorry to be so late getting into this.

I am so impressed! You're very, very talented.

The one w/ the owl, when I first looked at it, I thought of "the owl and the pussycat"

That always made me feel happy and sad at the same time.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:21 pm
Thanks, Beth! "Tear-outable" is just exactly what I'd like my pictures to be!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:23 pm
I loved the Owl and the Pussycat! I still remember most of that poem, I read it so many times as a kid...So sweet...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:23 pm
RP--

Quote:
pookmarking this thread...

So the green glob is a Pooka in an amorphous stage?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:00 pm
cyphercat wrote:
It's so nice that you guys like them.

The opening is tomorrow, and since it's a small town, all the local artists have always Taken An Interest in me. So that means tomorrow will be a whole boatload of advice, constructive criticism, and wing-taking-undering. It's really nice of them, but intimidating too, especially since the local Art Crowd (sorry, but these things demand capitalization) is very much about landscape paintings done plein air, and I've heard most of 'em be derogatory regarding things done from imagination... <sigh>

So I expect a bit of patronizing "isn't that nice" type of stuff, and so the bolstering here is helping me prepare for that. Plus I've never had so much of my stuff displayed at once, or been the focus of something like this. I've shown stuff at the county fair and things like that, but this feels a lot scarier.

On top of the nerves, now I've come down with some nasty bug and I can barely talk, and I'm all achey and blah...Thank goodness for the cheering up I get from you all! Laughing

Internal confidence should get you through.

They are very good

and

you have unmistakable, natural talent.

I'm having a fit for more pics and a run down on your big night. <Still excited!!>

Do you think stress has lowered your immune system?? Please get rest and take care of Pooky!!!! Her's famous!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:30 pm
Cypher, I hope you don't have a flu (your aches suggests that you do). If you decide to go to the opening, be sure to excuse yourself from shaking hands with your guests "because you want to protect them" from you bug.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:45 am
Noddy24 wrote:
RP--

Quote:
pookmarking this thread...

So the green glob is a Pooka in an amorphous stage?

part Pooka, part Palooka...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:32 am
How are you feeling, Cypher? Today's the day? Enjoy!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:01 pm
Thanks JL! I'm feeling okay, still have a sore throat.

I've talked to the people at the museum and they know I might leave early if I really get worn out. I'd already planned on warning everyone they don't want to get too close or shake hands or anything, so hopefully I can keep from spreading it. I thought about just staying home, but my friend at the museum really wants me to go.

Anyway, I live just across the street from the museum, so I can be home in two seconds if I feel really bad! Very Happy They could just tell people if they really want to see me and risk getting sick, they can come knock on my door! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 03:05 pm
Cyphercat--

The full membership of A2K will be attending vicariously.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 03:25 pm
Great point, Noddy.

Cypher, don't forget your lozenges (I could never spell it).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:11 pm
Lahzingers
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:41 pm
No, Farmer, that's how it's pronounced.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:57 pm
A young artist that can draw!!!!!!!!