I just finished hanging my very first show!!

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:42 pm
Yay!! I've been finishing up some last minute pieces, cutting mats, getting stuff in frames, etc., every spare minute for the last three days-- and it's finally DONE!!

It's the first show of my own I've ever had, and I'm thrilled. I managed to get fourteen pieces done in time (I'm not a very prolific artist), which is more than I even dared to hope I might have ready.

Now I just have to type up some little cards with the names and prices of everything, a quick little bio, and I'm really done. I just thought I'd let all of ya know what I've been doing lately! Smile

I'll post pics of everything when I get a chance to take some, I'd like you guys to see what kind of stuff I do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,461 • Replies: 117
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:44 pm
right on!!

you must be excited !

that sounds like an assload of work.
I hope it all pays off for you . Very Happy
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:45 pm
Great. And now I suppose it's up to us to catch you up on everything that's been going on here?!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:46 pm
That's so exciting!

Congratulations!!

Can't wait to see the pics.

I've only been in 3 shows -- never had a whole one, just 1-3 pieces in larger shows. They were all super fun.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:46 pm
Here's what I have for my bio...I'm not sure how this is, I don't want to do one particularly, but they asked me to. It seems odd to write this kind of thing about yourself. Does it sound okay?

"Born and raised in Quincy, I began drawing as a two-year-old. One of my earliest drawings was of a frog, and ever since then my artwork has continued to focus on my love of animals and nature. I also find inspiration in folklore and legend, which is why so much of my work has an air of the fantastic.

I am currently a student at Feather River College; after graduating this spring, I will be continuing my schooling as an Art Major. My goal is to become an illustrator of children's books, and someday I hope to both write and illustrate my own stories. The books I read as a child, and the pictures in those books, meant so much to me when I was growing up; it's my dream to be able to create books that will be loved by others as I love the books of my childhood."

Too sappy? Too long? I dunno... Confused
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:47 pm
Personally, I think your bio sounds perfect, except it includes nothing about me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:48 pm
Did they give you any guidelines? What will it be used for? Often they want 'em in third person, like, "Cyphercat is currently a student at..." (Annoying, I know.)

What you have is good!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:48 pm
Although I can understand why you'd want to keep that our little secret...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:49 pm
Thanks, guys!! Very Happy

Blacksmith-- duh, obviously I expect to be caught up on everything AT ONCE. (I don't think I really missed much, I still managed to waste a decent amount of time here anyway...but I do seem to have missed out on some thread where a guy was looking for a sex partner, damn it...)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Did they give you any guidelines? What will it be used for? Often they want 'em in third person, like, "Cyphercat is currently a student at..." (Annoying, I know.)

What you have is good!

Hmm, they didn't mention guidelines. I wondered about the third person thing, though...perhaps I'd better change it. It just seems so silly to write about yourself that way, but that is the way you usually see 'em done.

Oh, and I can't forget to get Blacksmith in there too...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:58 pm
Then your bio would go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

No, wait! I got that turned around!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:59 pm
Laughing Whatta dork. You're out.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:59 pm
Hmph! Hussy-cat!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:08 pm
Forgive me!!

How's this then:

Cypher is currently a student at Feather River College; after graduating this spring, she will be continuing her schooling as an Art Major. Cy's goal is to become an illustrator of children's books, and she hopes someday to both write and illustrate her own stories.

The greatest influence on her life and work has, of course, been her torrid affair with the man known only as The Blacksmith. A powerful and mysterious silhouette of a man, he has taken her to heights of ecstasy she had only dreamed of before. Her passionate love for, and, yes, even obsession with, this man called Blacksmith, will undoubtedly affect her forevermore.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:24 pm
Good job, Cypher!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:29 pm
There, that's it, Cypher.

Having co-curated something like 60 shows and spent untold days dealing with artist's statements, less is more... though not always entirely less.

We retained purview in our gallery, as we didn't want stuff going out in our name in dreadful grammar and low logic, ill representing the art, not to mention us ... while we did want the artist's short or detailed view to shine. I spent a lot of Fridays-of-the-week-before on this matter, as did my business partner.

At least one of our artists' statements made people cry (Willa Briggs, there you go) and others made people near/yawn.

One artist that showed with us who wrote well to start with and is sensitive to his own changes - with relevence - is Eric Fidjeland, a watercolorist. We hardly had to flick a comma at his entries. His writing matches his work.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:37 pm
Oh, Osso, I was hoping you'd be by. Smile

So I take it I should go with the third person-- should I cut it down to just a few sentences, then?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:47 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Here's what I have for my bio...I'm not sure how this is, I don't want to do one particularly, but they asked me to. It seems odd to write this kind of thing about yourself. Does it sound okay?

"Born and raised in Quincy, One of my earliest drawings was of a frog, and I also find inspiration in folklore and legend, which is why so much of my work has an air of the fantastic.

I am currently a student at Feather River College; after graduating this spring, I will be continuing my schooling as an Art Major. My goal is to become an illustrator of children's books, and someday I hope to both write and illustrate my own stories. The books I read as a child, and the pictures in those books, meant so much to me when I was growing up; it's my dream to be able to create books that will be loved by others as I love the books of my childhood."

Too sappy? Too long? I dunno... Confused

Just to get right to it, and feel free to send arrows back --

I began drawing as a two-year-old. I drew frogs then. Ever since, my artwork has focused on animals and nature. Then I became interested in folklore (lame, I admit)

not that use of first or third person is an ironclad rule. I personally don't care. Sometimes third person sounds phonier.
But, whichever, cut the excess words...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:58 pm
Mostly this statement stuff is important to the artist. And people do look at it.

I like artist statements myself, as they foster the invitation to people walking by the gallery who never look in, to those who look in but don't want to go in, they've never been in a gallery, to those who might just venture if they saw a few words on a piece of paper next to all those paintings, and so on. There is a lot of fear about the whole thing about art....

and yet from the art end, we want the few words to represent us, at least for the moment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:01 pm
This is thrilling! I am waiting impatiently to see pics of your work!!

I'm so excited!!

Yay for Pooky!!!! She's famous!!!!

I'm for random, quirky bios that leave people with more questions than answers.
0 Replies