I just finished hanging my very first show!!

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:10 pm
Now we have someone else here on a2k with a lot of gallery experience... actually there is another guy, much more mysterious than either of us, back on that.. but in the meantime, Lightwizard has a lot of gallery experience, almost the proto opposite of mine. And Kayla of a few years ago, from the Sierra area of California, had a whole lot of experience to tell, but she hasn't posted lately. All of us way different but not, as I'm aware, antagonistic. Lightwizard helped me on lighting early on, not that we could afford to do what he advised, as we bought yard lights @ 26.00 each. Still, I know him as a gentleman, scholar, and smart.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:44 pm
Cypher, congratulations. I'm entirely empathetic since I'm going through a lesser but similar situation. Enjoy yourself. As I like to say, exhibits are about exhibitionism--at least they are in my case.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:59 pm
JLN, I doubt it's much lesser, whatever you're doing!! I live in a small town and this is just a little show in the local museum, it's not a big deal. What kind of thing are you doing?

Osso, thanks so much for all the input on the bio thing. I'm still not sure what to do about third vs first person-- i switched it to third but I was worried about exactly what you said, that it might come off phony. Here's what I have now: "Born and raised in Quincy, Dora began drawing as a two-year-old. Her artwork focuses on a love of animals and nature, and she also finds inspiration in folklore and legend.

Dora is currently a student at Feather River College; after graduating this spring, she will be continuing her schooling as an art major. Her goal is to become an illustrator of children's books, and she hopes someday to both write and illustrate her own stories. Dora would like to create books that will be loved by others as she loved the books of her childhood."

Confused Still too many words?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:01 pm
cyphercat, I hope you have a successful show. Good luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:02 pm
It's fine to me, DoraCypher.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:03 pm
Lash wrote:
This is thrilling! I am waiting impatiently to see pics of your work!!

I'm so excited!!

Yay for Pooky!!!! She's famous!!!!

I'm for random, quirky bios that leave people with more questions than answers.

Lash, thanks for the enthusiasm!! Very Happy I'm excited to post pics here, y'all don't know me till you see my artwork, since it's about all I do (besides waste time here, that is).

I'd like a random and quirky bio, too, but I'm not clever enough to come up with one! I can barely do a plain ol' straight-forward one...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:04 pm
Thanks, osso...phew! I'll leave it as is, then. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:08 pm
Relax, what you just said is fine.

We have had people say seven words and four pages of words, and much in between. Hard to pick an arbitrary page cutoff as once in a while someone is or could be brilliant, or.....not.

Many of the best were quite short. The one that made people weep was several paragraphs long. Ones that make people yawn are several paragraphs long...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:19 pm
We often had artists who showed with us sign their statement that was put on the wall, so in our situation, first person worked ok, but then so did third. We tried, in whatever editing (talking with artist if context came up) to - heh - cypher out what they felt like saying. Sometimes we just printed what they said if they were alert writers, to best represent them.

Sometimes we fixed horrendous spelling and grammar. We never made up stuff... just tried to fix what was there to be printable.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:48 am
I'd go with the bio which includes me. Because in art-- as in every aspect of life-- it all about the blacksmith...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:55 am
Good luck and well done!!!!
Pictures, I want pictures!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:59 am
Congratulations!

How exciting. I too can't wait to see photos.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:03 am
Too cool and well done.... that is great!!!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:22 am
Will you let us say "We knew her when...?" Very Happy

Congratulations! I'm feeling giddy and nervous for you, so you can relax, enjoy, and leave that part to me.

PICTURES!

PICTURES!

PICTURES!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:29 am
Congratulations!
I'm excited for you! That last version sounded just fine and yes pictures would be great!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:15 am
Cybercat--

Congratulations.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:30 am
Oh, you guys are so nice! It's so great to have all this support.

Squinney, that's an invaluable service you provide there, being nervous for people so they don't have to be! Ahh, how relaxing... Very Happy

I'll take pics today when I go over there to put the names and prices up, and I'll post 'em tonight if I can...everyone asking for pics makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Embarrassed

(((((hugs)))))) to everybody!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:16 pm
How exciting! Well done, cyph old girl.

Like all the others, I can't wait for the piccies.

I hope it goes well, and you make oodles.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:19 pm
Good going, cyphercat! You must be very proud. Let us know how it went and, of course, I'll be looking for those pictures.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:28 pm
<biting fingernails...hopping up and down!!>

<!!!!!!>
0 Replies