Immigration and Racism in Britain and USA

McTag

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, there has always been a lot of jokes about Polish names.
Even murder doesn't stop that.

My point was, about this article, the woman who was shot was hit by a stray bullet in a dispute between drug dealers.
She was in the wrong place, that's all, and was very unlucky.
It was nothing to do with her being female nor Polish.
The journalist had no business building an article out of it, it was skewed reporting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:09 pm
From the Center for Strategic & International Studies
Quote:

As part of its ongoing Transatlantic Dialogue on Terrorism, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, DC dedicated its seventh meeting in the series to Muslim integration and assimilation. In partnership with the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP) in Berlin, Germany, CSIS hosted a two-day event entitled, "The Transatlantic Dialogue on Muslims in Europe: Dealing with, and Looking Beyond, the Terrorist Threat " to question and explore many of the conclusions Europeans and Americans have drawn about Muslim communities in their own countries.

As a summary to the meeting, CSIS commissioned six papers by U.S. and European experts on immigration, demographics, and integration policy, in order to further explore the situation facing Muslim communities on both sides of the Atlantic. Many of the papers reveal the sometimes shaky foundations upon which European and U.S. policymakers are crafting integration policies. More importantly, the report also shows that despite efforts to improve the West's collective understating of Islam and Muslim integration in American and European societies, many countries remain ill-equipped to fully incorporate these growing groups into society at large in terms of economic advancement, social mobility, and political participation. As such, the report highlights some of these shortcomings, puts forth a more accurate picture of European and U.S. Muslim communities, and presents recommendations for improving the status quo.

Full report (PDF)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:09 pm
Building of mosques, everywhere in Europe, is creating political problems

http://www.guardian.co.uk/farright/story/0,,2188275,00.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:28 am
Two government reports on the impact of migration are given wide coverage in today's papers, but they are split on the conclusions to be drawn.

The Guardian: Migrants are a boon to UK economy, says study

Times: Migrants in Britain - the official verdict

Times: Home Truths: Immigrants are not just paying their way, they are creating jobs

Daily Express: Regions feel effect of migration

Daily Mail: Government finally admits: Immigration IS placing huge strain on Britain

Daily Mail: Now for action on mass migration
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:50 am
Daily Mail
http://i22.tinypic.com/dvlc42.jpg

The Guardian:
http://i24.tinypic.com/21l0hsn.jpg

Daily Express
http://i23.tinypic.com/k9zygz.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
Racism comes wearing many hats

from http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3067222.ece

Quote:

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners
Celebrated scientist attacked for race comments: "All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really"
By Cahal Milmo
Published: 17 October 2007
One of the world's most eminent scientists was embroiled in an extraordinary row last night after he claimed that black people were less intelligent than white people and the idea that "equal powers of reason" were shared across racial groups was a delusion.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in the unravelling of DNA who now runs one of America's leading scientific research institutions, drew widespread condemnation for comments he made ahead of his arrival in Britain today for a speaking tour at venues including the Science Museum in London.

The 79-year-old geneticist reopened the explosive debate about race and science in a newspaper interview in which he said Western policies towards African countries were wrongly based on an assumption that black people were as clever as their white counterparts when "testing" suggested the contrary. He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade.

The newly formed Equality and Human Rights Commission, successor to the Commission for Racial Equality, said it was studying Dr Watson's remarks " in full". Dr Watson told The Sunday Times that he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really". He said there was a natural desire that all human beings should be equal but "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".

His views are also reflected in a book published next week, in which he writes: "There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so."

The furore echoes the controversy created in the 1990s by The Bell Curve, a book co-authored by the American political scientist Charles Murray, which suggested differences in IQ were genetic and discussed the implications of a racial divide in intelligence. The work was heavily criticised across the world, in particular by leading scientists who described it as a work of " scientific racism".

Dr Watson arrives in Britain today for a speaking tour to publicise his latest book, Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science. Among his first engagements is a speech to an audience at the Science Museum organised by the Dana Centre, which held a discussion last night on the history of scientific racism.

Critics of Dr Watson said there should be a robust response to his views across the spheres of politics and science. Keith Vaz, the Labour chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, said: "It is sad to see a scientist of such achievement making such baseless, unscientific and extremely offensive comments. I am sure the scientific community will roundly reject what appear to be Dr Watson's personal prejudices.

"These comments serve as a reminder of the attitudes which can still exists at the highest professional levels."

The American scientist earned a place in the history of great scientific breakthroughs of the 20th century when he worked at the University of Cambridge in the 1950s and 1960s and formed part of the team which discovered the structure of DNA. He shared the 1962 Nobel Prize for medicine with his British colleague Francis Crick and New Zealand-born Maurice Wilkins.

But despite serving for 50 years as a director of the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory on Long Island, considered a world leader in research into cancer and genetics, Dr Watson has frequently courted controversy with some of his views on politics, sexuality and race. The respected journal Science wrote in 1990: "To many in the scientific community, Watson has long been something of a wild man, and his colleagues tend to hold their collective breath whenever he veers from the script."

In 1997, he told a British newspaper that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual. He later insisted he was talking about a "hypothetical" choice which could never be applied. He has also suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, positing the theory that black people have higher libidos, and argued in favour of genetic screening and engineering on the basis that " stupidity" could one day be cured. He has claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured, saying: "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would great."

The Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory said yesterday that Dr Watson could not be contacted to comment on his remarks.

Steven Rose, a professor of biological sciences at the Open University and a founder member of the Society for Social Responsibility in Science, said: " This is Watson at his most scandalous. He has said similar things about women before but I have never heard him get into this racist terrain. If he knew the literature in the subject he would know he was out of his depth scientifically, quite apart from socially and politically."

Anti-racism campaigners called for Dr Watson's remarks to be looked at in the context of racial hatred laws. A spokesman for the 1990 Trust, a black human rights group, said: "It is astonishing that a man of such distinction should make comments that seem to perpetuate racism in this way. It amounts to fuelling bigotry and we would like it to be looked at for grounds of legal complaint."

I wonder how many A2Kers will disavow the notion that evolution provides a scientific basis for racism?

And if they do, are they rejecting scientific evidence?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:15 am
More in the paper today about that.

Watson has had his book tour cancelled, and been recalled to base in America.

Meanwhile, he is trying hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3078883.ece
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:27 am
real life wrote:
I wonder how many A2Kers will disavow the notion that evolution provides a scientific basis for racism?

This is a poorly thought argument.

NOTHING, from a moral point of view, can provide basis for racism.

Hence, EVEN if evolution provided a scientific basis for a difference between humans, it wouldn't be acceptable as basis for racism.

Rejecting racism, as a philosophical notion, in no way equates rejecting scientific evidence..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:54 pm
"Racism" is a currently popular term for one manifestation of a basic human frailtiy that is judged to be particularly contemptable, indeed unforgivable, in the contemporary secular pseudo religion. Interestingly it is usually practiced in one way or another by those institutions that decry it the most loudly.

Intolerance for people of another culture, religion, way of living, language, or even region in an otherwise homogenious state, is as old as human society. None of us are entirely free of it. This, of course, is the core issue - not racism.

Intolerance can take many forms, and, where social issues emerge because of it, there is usually a good measure of it to be found on both sides of the emerging divide. "Oppressed" groups that stubbornly insist on unquestioned acceptance of minor issues that inflame their supposed oppressors (or even significant ones that directly assault their values) do indeed contribute to their own problems. The creation of enduring toerance requires a new spirit on the part of both.

The wave of migration that is taking place across Europe inevitably creates such issues everywhere, and they take time to resolve.

Suppressing the free exchange or expression of ideas does little, in my view to advance the cause of toleration. I believe the question Dr. Watson raised, however awkwardly, does not merit the furor that resulted. The notion that suppression of such ideas and their expression is a necessary prerequisite for tolerance (or in this case the absence of racism) strikes me as both absurd and counterproductive.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:33 am
Racism is intolerance, but intolerance may not be racism.

Well, George, I suspect (in my heart, I'm sure) that that you just throw some words in order to contradict something you know it's right.

But your compulsive need to bash Europe prevailed..

What can I do? Twisted Evil

Now, if you mind to define "secular pseudo religion".. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:38 pm
Francis wrote:
Racism is intolerance, but intolerance may not be racism.

Well, George, I suspect (in my heart, I'm sure) that that you just throw some words in order to contradict something you know it's right.

But your compulsive need to bash Europe prevailed..

What can I do? Twisted Evil

Now, if you mind to define "secular pseudo religion".. Rolling Eyes

Francis, you are being stubborn and unfair. I did not contradict you. Instead I suggested that the reaction against the aged Dr Watson's awkward statements was likely overblown, just as is the contemporary fixation on the supposed unbounded evils of racism. I added that I don't suscribe to the racist theories so shrilly attributed to him and that most such group labels in human affairs are later proved wrong.

Instead, I noted, that the real issue is the universal (not European) problem of intolerance, of which (as we both evidently agree) racism is a subset. I did not bash Europe, compulsively or otherwise. Indeed I noted that the very often discussed (and repeatedly cited in the posts above mine) issues of racism in Europe today are merely manifestations of this basic and universal human failing, stimulated by the rather sudden (from an historical perspective) influx of peoples from other continents and distant parts of Europe itself. I noted that both sides of these issues make their own contribution to the problems and must as well contribute to the solution. Finally, I stated that they take time to be resolved, suggesting that the situation in Europe is not far from a normal, beneficial evolution.

I suppose I could have added comments about the analogues over the contemporary matter of illegal immigration in the United States. However that subject and its historical backgroung have already been so thoroughly discussed on these threads as to be a bit repetive.

Though this is not particularly the case with you, it remains a fact that the many imperfections and failings of the United States and various actions we take are the subject of nearly constant discussion by the many European posters here. Oddly that is taken as reasonbable discussion of matters that affect us alll equally, while any attempt at reciprocal comment about Europe is characterized as "Europe Bashing". I find that particularly hypocritical.

My reference to "secular pseudo religion" was clear enough that I suspect you do indeed know what I meant by it - despite your disingenuous question. My reference was to the shrill piety of those who overreact to the misstatements of an eminent old man who has violated one of the currently fashionable sacred tenants of modern politically correct thought and expression, but who, at the same time, advocate policies of managed social processes, "affirmative action" and "progressivism" that are, on close examination, based on exactly the same principles.

We live in an increasingly secular age which has focused clearly on the excesses and failings of religion, but which is energetically duplicating them in the secular morality it is creating to replace the old ones. The unwarranted focus on certain aspects of intolerance (racism, homophobia, etc) to the exclusion of many others is no real improvement on the distortions of the previous age - merely a recycling of errors in new detail.

I will confess to some fairly objective concerns about the historical trajectory of Europe and, as well to some personal animosity to some elements of it. However, that hardly goes beyond what I can read every day on these threads about comparable elements of expressed European views of this country. I don't think either of us should be exempt from criticism, however, I am perplexed by a sensitivity that I regard as remarkable only for the hypocrisy it reveals.

To the extent that you are merely needling me in a brotherly way on a point for which I am vulnerable, I fully accept it. As you know I enjoy that and promise to reciprocate in due course.

Goddam French !
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
From the Center for Strategic & International Studies
Quote:

As part of its ongoing Transatlantic Dialogue on Terrorism, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, DC dedicated its seventh meeting in the series to Muslim integration and assimilation. In partnership with the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP) in Berlin, Germany, CSIS hosted a two-day event entitled, "The Transatlantic Dialogue on Muslims in Europe: Dealing with, and Looking Beyond, the Terrorist Threat " to question and explore many of the conclusions Europeans and Americans have drawn about Muslim communities in their own countries. [..]

Full report (PDF)

Useful, thanks! Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm

Short version:

Quote:
Some victims of sex traffickers rescued from prostitution in a new national police crackdown in Britain will face deportation, home secretary Jacqui Smith confirmed yesterday.

Operation Pentameter 2 is the second enforcement operation to focus on trafficking. The first one ended in 88 trafficked women from 22 countries being rescued and led to 232 arrests, with 134 people charged. It also led to the creation of the Human Trafficking Centre in Sheffield.

Smith said human trafficking was a devastating crime: "Two hundred years after we banned the trade in slavery, it's shocking that this is still going on."

Detectives think that as many as 100 brothels are operating in Cambridgeshire alone. The county's police say sex traffickers are luring women into the UK from eastern Europe, Africa and the far east with the promise of lucrative jobs.

Smith said that as part of Britain's programme of implementing the European convention against human trafficking, the operation would include a pilot scheme to formally identify victims as well as a 30-day "reflection period" before removal action against illegal entrants.

She said she wanted to protect and support victims, but a blanket guarantee that none would face deportation "would be likely to act more generally as a pull factor." She hoped asylum case workers would bear in mind their exploitation when deciding their futures.

The crackdown is to be accompanied by an advertising campaign by the Poppy project, which has received £100,000 in government funding to cope with the increased referrals generated by Pentameter 2. It will provide beds and extra support for women's refuges in and outside London.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 07:35 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Francis, you are being stubborn and unfair.

George,

You started with a peremptory statement about me that leaves little room for elaborating.

Had some of my acquaintances read so, they would have scratched their heads while asking: WTF?

You were not precise enough in your statement: you should have said, for instance, in something similar to Linnaeus or Buffon classifications:

Kingdom: unfair
Phylum: sectarian
Class: close-minded
Family: damn French
Genus: mean
Species: cheese eater

That would have been a wide subject we could elaborate on!

However, on the topic, you were saying the very same as I, only with words that mislead the reader in thinking that I made an assertion on Mr. Watson racial comments, which I didn't.

I asked you about secular pseudo religion because the use of "pseudo" seems a bit superfluous, if not pleonastic.

I find, indeed, that the new "politically correct" is the secular religion of this century.

Even though we begin to see more and more examples of such sorry happenstances in Europe, I gladly notice that it is a major trait of the US.

That my statements would reveal such big hypocrisy as you imply, is beyond a lucid regard and is, in any case, unfounded.

The only point I readily agree you are right in, is the needling part.

As for your promise to reciprocate: anytime!

Lovely Americans!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:09 pm
Francis wrote:
real life wrote:

This is a poorly thought argument.

NOTHING, from a moral point of view, can provide basis for racism.

Hence, EVEN if evolution provided a scientific basis for a difference between humans, it wouldn't be acceptable as basis for racism.

Rejecting racism, as a philosophical notion, in no way equates rejecting scientific evidence..

I just re-read this earlier post of Francis and now see that his remark above was - as he just noted - not at all contrary to the point I had advanced in the subsequent post. Francis is correct!

OK, I'll retract the unfair & stubborn bits. As for the rest of his Linnaeus fantasy, I never said sectarian, close-minded, mean, or even cheese-eater. As for "damn French" part, that is merely a statement of fact.

Very likely I did indeed jump on the opportunity to needle him in familiar terms. Hell, I'll probably do it again.

I had to look up "pleonasm" - an obscure French addition to the English language - but don't agree that my use of the word "pseudo" in the phrase "pseudo religion" was in any way superfluous. My reference was specifically to the religious quality the cant of political correctitude has adopted in the United States (if not yet in Europe - a proposition Francis asserts in defiance of the ample evidence to the contrary). It was this that excited all the excesses following Watson's unfortunate remark, and the point was indeed relevant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:23 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I had to look up "pleonasm" - an obscure French addition to the English language -

Make that Greek (or if you like it better: late Latin). :wink:

Quote:
Etymology: Late Latin pleonasmus, from Greek pleonasmas, from pleonazein to be more, to be in excess, to be redundant, from pleon, neuter of plein, plen more

source: "pleonasm." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (22 Oct. 2007).
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:53 pm
I think the most logical answer is
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:36 am
I see the mods are not asleep, even if I was.

Smile
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
People (most commonly Right wing people in my experience), misuse and mistake "political correctness" for decency, then argue angaist it. Ultimately in the end all they argue agaist is decency.

I've been absent from this thread for sometime, but to see the introduction of science into this arguement is... interesting.

Francis wrote:
I find, indeed, that the new "politically correct" is the secular religion of this century.

I hate hearing things like this. It's as if all religionists, think that averyone MUST be a part of a religion, and therefore the absence of religion is a religion. Reducing things to simple terms may be convieniant, but it's far from honest.

Question: What do you call people who argue for equal rights, and cultural promotion without the veil of religion?

T
K
O
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:32 am
Diest TKO wrote:
People (most commonly Right wing people in my experience), misuse and mistake "political correctness" for decency, then argue angaist it. Ultimately in the end all they argue agaist is decency.

I've been absent from this thread for sometime, but to see the introduction of science into this arguement is... interesting.

Francis wrote:

I hate hearing things like this. It's as if all religionists, think that averyone MUST be a part of a religion, and therefore the absence of religion is a religion. Reducing things to simple terms may be convieniant, but it's far from honest.

Question: What do you call people who argue for equal rights, and cultural promotion without the veil of religion?

T
K
O

What if, instead of "religionists", you directed these rather sweeping condemnations and comments against (say) black homosexuals over 50 years of age? Do you think the "politically correct" response might be a little different?

If you can answer that question truthfully, then you will have discovered the difference between PC and "decency".
0 Replies