looks like I'm going back :-(

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Montana, is there a boarding house or something you can stay at?

Maybe someone that lives close by would let you sleep on their couch for $50.00 a week. It's not like you'd be there that long, and you'd be working most of the time.

I'd let you stay and be happy for the money.

do you have cities near you listed in craigslist? maybe someone is looking for just such a deal.

Where I grew up, all these people from the city would want summer houses for a few months.
I knew/know people who would move in with their families, or even rent a small apt inland for a few months, and get enough money for renting their houses out, that they could practically pay their mortgages for the year.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a real home body and like being in my own bed, but what I can do to with the gas situation is to take on a passenger who lives along the route I drive and we would split the gas.
The gas prices aren't extreme yet, so it gives me time to figure something out and if I can get an early lay off this year, that'll make a huge difference.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I remember back in '94 I had a sudden urge to work in lobster plant and quickly began searching the town for the next available job. I walked and walked and walked, repeatedly asking strangers on the street, "Where might I find a job in this town at a lobster plant?"

Most of them would scream "We don't have any lobster plants in Topeka, you crazy old coot!!"

But I was determined and continued on my quest. Eventually I landed a job in the toy department at Wally's Emporium and was able to handle toy plastic lobsters during my lunch break. I envisioned the hustle and bustle of a real lobster factory; I could smell the intoxicating aroma of creatures from the sea lingering in the air; I could hear the steady drone of my coworkers voices as they went on about their trials and tribulations and their dreams and aspirations.

And for that brief, magical moment in time I was one of them. I was one of the lobster workers.

But that dream was shattered when Bobby (Wally's kid, I hated that guy) would see me playing with the lobsters and shout. "Put those lobsters back in the proper bin, Ratzenhofer, and clean up those marbles that kid spilled over by the cash register! And if I ever catch you playing with those lobsters again your ass is out of here! Am I understood!"

"Screw off. Bobby. I don't need this place any more. I have lived my dream and I am filled with an inner peace. Get yourself another toy stocker."

I finished saying that and tossed several of the toy lobsters right into his startled face.

Then I went home and had a few beers and when I slept that night I slept very soundly.

And lobsters danced in my dreams.

Gus
Your story is so damn touching! <sniff> Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:16 pm
I know, I won't even eat a lobster....and still I felt the pain, and the glory.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:31 pm
I will tell everyone at the shop of Gus's heart felt story and I'm sure they will all cry rivers of tears, such as I have already.
If they didn't have big drains everywhere at the shop we would drown from our tears Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:46 pm
Poor Montana! I hate work!! Evil or Very Mad

http://www2.eugeneweekly.com/2003/graphics/032003cal3.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:48 pm
I'll be ok ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:52 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I mean, you could be living in Oklahoma!

Hey now!

If Montana were here, she could walk down the street to the park with me. It's just a few blocks from my house.

http://www.utulsa.edu/admission/metro/gallery/images/woodward_pond.jpg

Beats a lobster plant all to hell.

It's 70 degrees here, too.

(nyah, nyah, nyah)
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:21 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I mean, you could be living in Oklahoma!

Hey wait a sec there now, Smithy! Razz I'm a California transplant to Oklahoma, only unlike you, I got to live in the good part of California, up north in the wine country. Razz Drunk

Oklahoma is a GREAT place to be! Ok, I admit, at first I was skeptical, but I will be here for one whole year at the end of this May and I don't think I would ever consider moving back.

Just out of curiosity, what the heck does a blacksmith do in Southern California?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:30 pm
And ditto exactly what Eva said!! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:53 pm
Got a call from work today and I start tomorrow instead of Monday :-(
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:08 pm
I hope they hired some sexy boys this year. Didn't have much pickins last year Laughing

It won't be so bad. I had some fun in there last year.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:52 pm
Montana, I know ....I know....I hate it for ya...having to go to a job that isn't all its cracked up to be...(no pun intended) And half your pay going to gas...bummer!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:58 pm
Hey MMS! Great to see ya :-)

I'll be fine once my body gets use to the work load, so this is just my whining while I think about how sore my body is going to be the next few weeks Laughing

It'll be over before I know it and I'll be back here to tell more of the interesting things that happened through the season ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:00 pm
Oh, rats!

I'm really going to miss you around here. The place just isn't the same without you.

Please take care of yourself, okay?

((((BIG Hugs))))
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:22 pm
I'm gonna miss you guys too, but I might come back with some good stories ;-)

Thanks Eva, and you take very good care of yourself as well.

Make sure everybody behaves while I'm gone, will you? Laughing

((((((((((Eva)))))))))
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:47 am
Montana--

Take care. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:23 am
I'm not really sure how much it will help, Montana, but try to keep in mind why you moved there.

Sometimes when work's really getting to me for whatever reason, I think about why I'm there. It helps. A bit.

You chose a location [for very particular reasons], which has some shortcomings - one of them being limited employment opportunities.

Remember the reasons. Carry a pic of the house and your son, or something. It might help.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:27 am
Personally, I'm bloody glad that she will be gone for a while. I am pretty sure that she was trying to reduce me with her female allurement.

It got to the stage that I couldn't go to sleep at night without going all historical with expectancy.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 08:26 am
Yeah, I'm sick of her. Good riddance. All those winsome sighs and smoldering glances were really getting old. Just sleep with me and get it over with, fer crissake! Stop undressing me with your eyes!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:20 pm
Just got home from my first day/night back to work. Was a 14 hour day and my body is sore from head to toe.
It was a good day, just a very long day.

Beth
Thanks for reminding me of something very important. I came here to get away from several things and I did find what I was looking for right here.
Perfect timing, Beth ;-)
0 Replies