looks like I'm going back :-(

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:13 am
I mean, you could be living in Oklahoma!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
<Okla>
I think that's your cue, Dys.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
Whoa! Only part of what I wrote in angle brackets appeared, and my sig is gone!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:19 am
I'm sure gonna miss you guys.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:19 am
I have many mysterious powers....

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:20 am
George wrote:
Whoa! Only part of what I wrote in angle brackets appeared, and my sig is gone!

Oh oh! You're not going to vanish, are you?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
blacksmithn wrote:
I have many mysterious powers....

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Can I borrow some of those?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
Sorry, they're apparently non-transferrable. Kind of like a bus pass...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:25 am
Damn!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
Wouldn't I just be tickled pink if I hit the 30,000,000 jackpot Friday <sigh>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:33 am
Montana wrote:
Laughing you guys.

The place I applied at doesn't like people to call, so I don't want to tick them off.

I've been thinking a lot about this and here's my plan for this year. Last year was my first year at the shop and over here to qualify for unemployment in a seasonal job, you need 910 hours, but after you get those, every year after that you only need 420 hours.
Last year I opened my claim 2 weeks early and accumulated 70 extra hours after I put in my claim, so this year I only need 350 hours to be able to open a new claim in Dec. The claim I have now stays open until then, if I should get laid off ;-)
So, if I am as sick as I was last year, after I get my 350 hours I can get a doctors note stating my condition and that I can no longer work at the shop until I've had surgery on my asophigus and get an early lay off.
This way, I would be there when they need people the most and I'd be out of there before I drop dead Laughing

If you're as sick as you were last year?!! Shocked Montana, I'm sure your doctor doesn't want you working there at all, and would happily write you a note to get you out of there if you had to work there.

How many hours a week would you be putting in? How long would it take you to get to 350 hours?

The other job, what kind of work is it?

When you say they wouldn't want you calling? What would they do, maybe not offer you the job?

Did you say it was your son that worked there? (sorry, was reading quickly)...maybe he can say something.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:45 am
Chai Tea wrote:

If you're as sick as you were last year?!! Shocked Montana, I'm sure your doctor doesn't want you working there at all, and would happily write you a note to get you out of there if you had to work there.

How many hours a week would you be putting in? How long would it take you to get to 350 hours?

The other job, what kind of work is it?

When you say they wouldn't want you calling? What would they do, maybe not offer you the job?

Did you say it was your son that worked there? (sorry, was reading quickly)...maybe he can say something.

You're right, my doctor wants me out of there and I know he wouldn't have any problem at all writing whatever I needed to get me out.
The hours I work totally depend on the fishing season, weather, etc, but there's no reason why I can't get those hours within 2 months, but I do need to do some checking with unemployment because I may need 14 weeks. Not sure yet, but I already have 2 weeks saved from last year, so if that's the case, I'll need to work 12 weeks.

The other job is a factory job in a company that makes ventilation systems. I like doing physical work because it helps an old back injury I have (crazy, but true) and it helps keep me in shape.

They state in their job ads "please no calls" and I feel a need to respect that.

Yes, my son does work there, but his attendance track record is poor, so you see my problem there.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:08 am
Oh yeah, I can see where it would keep you in shape.

I lived in Wisconsin twice....both times I hardly saw any warm months, was there for 2 different winters....brrrrrr....

My ex-husband was the supervisor of the scanning dept of the night shift at a printers, so I wanted to work nights too.

Manufacturing is really big in/around Milwaukee, so it wasn't hard to get a job.

First time it was at a plastic mold injection plant, working an assembly line making the compacts for Revlon blushes. Boy, you really need to keep your mind on what you're doing, don't you? One slip and there's material backed up to Kentucky.
I'd get home at midnight thinking my back was breaking, I'd lie on the floor for 5 minutes and be fine...muscles I guess. Like you said though, constant movement, kept you trim.
Actually, I liked doing it though, you didn't have to think of anything else, and time flew by.

I sure hope you get that other job....I know what you mean now about not calling....in that environment, it's don't call us, we'll call you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
I've done so many different things in my life and this is the kind of work I prefer over everything because it gives my body energy and my mind a rest.
Other than my resperatory problems, the brutal hours for the first 8 weeks and the non stop gossiping women, I actually don't mind my job.
I wormed my way into the crackers position, which is considered a mans job in these parts and my boss likes that. I hope she allows me to continue cracking this year because the other jobs would just kill my back.
The injury I have prevents me from standing still in one spot or sitting on a hard surface for too long without me having major back pain.
It's so strange. Cracking the claws is a much harder job than the others, but it's the only job my back can handle.
With the help of my doc, I can get through this year and have the needed time to to take care of my medical issues at hand, but next year is a whole different ballgame.
I am determined to get into my sons company because it offers everything I want in a job, so next year at this time, I will make a larger effort to get in.
They offer the benefits I want and most importantly, job security, plus they are only a 5 minute drive from my house, which would save me up to $100 a week in gas.
This summer is suppose to be the worst as far as gas prices and it'll kill me financially if I have to go in 6 days a week when the season slows down and I'm pulling in under $200 a week, throwing $100+ into my gas tank.

I'm stressed, man <sigh>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:57 pm
You survived last year with a certain amount of style.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:16 pm
Yeah, I was patting myself of the back for getting through it Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:35 pm
Montana, is there a boarding house or something you can stay at?

Maybe someone that lives close by would let you sleep on their couch for $50.00 a week. It's not like you'd be there that long, and you'd be working most of the time.

I'd let you stay and be happy for the money.

do you have cities near you listed in craigslist? maybe someone is looking for just such a deal.

Where I grew up, all these people from the city would want summer houses for a few months.
I knew/know people who would move in with their families, or even rent a small apt inland for a few months, and get enough money for renting their houses out, that they could practically pay their mortgages for the year.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:44 pm
holy crap, not to get off the subject, but I just looked on craigslist for nj and looked at vacation rentals....a 3 bedroom house in a little town near where I grew up is going for $13,500 for Memorial Day to Aug 20....

another house is "only" 12,500, or $8,000 per month if you just want July and August.

sorry to have interrupted Montana, that was just such a Shocked moment I had to share.

carry on....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:51 pm
I remember back in '94 I had a sudden urge to work in lobster plant and quickly began searching the town for the next available job. I walked and walked and walked, repeatedly asking strangers on the street, "Where might I find a job in this town at a lobster plant?"

Most of them would scream "We don't have any lobster plants in Topeka, you crazy old coot!!"

But I was determined and continued on my quest. Eventually I landed a job in the toy department at Wally's Emporium and was able to handle toy plastic lobsters during my lunch break. I envisioned the hustle and bustle of a real lobster factory; I could smell the intoxicating aroma of creatures from the sea lingering in the air; I could hear the steady drone of my coworkers voices as they went on about their trials and tribulations and their dreams and aspirations.

And for that brief, magical moment in time I was one of them. I was one of the lobster workers.

But that dream was shattered when Bobby (Wally's kid, I hated that guy) would see me playing with the lobsters and shout. "Put those lobsters back in the proper bin, Ratzenhofer, and clean up those marbles that kid spilled over by the cash register! And if I ever catch you playing with those lobsters again your ass is out of here! Am I understood!"

"Screw off. Bobby. I don't need this place any more. I have lived my dream and I am filled with an inner peace. Get yourself another toy stocker."

I finished saying that and tossed several of the toy lobsters right into his startled face.

Then I went home and had a few beers and when I slept that night I slept very soundly.

And lobsters danced in my dreams.
0 Replies