The Coming Ugliness

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
They are now attacking Webb ( dem senate candidate Virginia) for his novels. Who knew republicans were into literary criticism
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm
Yes. and Lynn Cheney was on cnn yesterday acting all offended. when the interviewer mentioned her own novel with lesbian sex, she said "it wasn't necessarily lesbian sex". she also said that her husband was talking about 'dunking' and not waterboarding.

can these people ever tell the truth?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:19 pm
Well, ok. It got ugly (eg harold ford, Pelosi/nambla) but not so bad as I expected.

And what now? Here's one... from the Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116537033474441872-cPFTnuPnOq5O8ZJmEfdfVC8Fg4U_20071206.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

Quote:
Some Republicans Take a Scorched-Hill Tack
Leaving Budget Decisions
To Democrats Could Disrupt
New Leadership's Agenda
By DAVID ROGERS
December 6, 2006; Page A8

WASHINGTON -- Like a retreating army, Republicans are tearing up railroad track and planting legislative land mines to make it harder for Democrats to govern when they take power in Congress next month.

Already, the Republican leadership has moved to saddle the new Democratic majority with responsibility for resolving $463 billion in spending bills for the fiscal year that began Oct. 1. And the departing chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Bill Thomas (R., Calif.), has been demanding that the Democrat-crafted 2008 budget absorb most of the $13 billion in costs incurred from a decision now to protect physician reimbursements under Medicare, the federal health-care program for the elderly and disabled.

The unstated goal is to disrupt the Democratic agenda and make it harder for the new majority to meet its promise to reinstitute "pay-as-you-go" budget rules, under which new costs or tax cuts must be offset to protect the deficit from growing.

"I think we're trying to get an accommodation," said Speaker Dennis Hastert (R., Ill.) last evening. "You're digging a hole now and filling up with money from '08," he said of Mr. Thomas's demands. "He says he's trying to move away from that."

But with Mr. Hastert dismantling his office, House Republicans appear to be operating in a post-election leadership vacuum. The White House is watching with alarm, as are many Senate Republicans, who have a greater stake than the House in maintaining relations with Democrats.

"There are individuals who want to blow up the tracks, and there are more of those individuals in the House," said one Senate leadership aide.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:35 pm
Quote:
The unstated goal is to disrupt the Democratic agenda.

Who needs it stating when it is only what anybody would do under the circumstances.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:02 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:
The unstated goal is to disrupt the Democratic agenda.

Who needs it stating when it is only what anybody would do under the circumstances.

It's not what a true blue American would do.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:18 pm
spendi prefers to keep his innocence through avoiding even the shortest dance with moral questions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:00 am
Quote:
Savage: "You're telling me there's no possibility of a conspiracy by the Democrats" to cause Roberts' seizure?
On the July 30 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Michael Savage reacted to news that Chief Justice John Roberts had suffered a seizure that day by raising the possibility that "his health was in some way tampered with by the Democrats." Savage said, "Something's wrong with this picture," after noting that Roberts' seizure occurred just three days after Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) said he would seek in general to reject any future Supreme Court nomination made by President Bush. Schumer told the American Constitution Society (ACS) in a July 27 speech: "I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances." Schumer said that, since the confirmation of Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito, the court had come to represent "what a diminishing clique of conservative ideologues wish for."

Savage asked, "Am I to believe there's no connection between Charles Schumer on Friday saying he would never appoint, or never, excuse me, approve another Bush appointment to the court, to any court? And then the chief justice suffers a so-called seizure two days later? You're telling me there's no possibility of a conspiracy by the Democrats to have caused this seizure in some manner?" He added: "Tell me it's not possible, and I'll tell you you're a liar."
http://mediamatters.org/items/200708010001?f=h_latest
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
blatham's source, quoting Savage wrote:
He added: "Tell me it's not possible, and I'll tell you you're a liar."

Nice little trick there--an effort to say that Savage has no obligation to prove a wild accusation, that someone else has to disprove it. That is what passes for logic with that crowd, and i have no doubt that it is effective with those to whom he preaches.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:28 am
It is cute, isn't it? Tell me that there is no possibility that Lynn Cheney has sex with donkeys and I'll tell you you are a liar.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:29 am
I think Roberts seizure was due to a malfunctioning Rainsoft system and a Ted Nugent video. But I could be wrong.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 06:33 pm
Irrespective of all the blather on this thread:

Good Lord, ugly might encroach upon the lives and loves of us humanoids Better that we strive for the pretty!

Insipid, thy name is the Left.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 06:37 pm
Incompetent and dangerous to the world, thy name is the right.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Incompetent and dangerous to the world, thy name is the right.

You know CI that's not really what you think.

You don't really think that The Right is dangerous because of incompetence.

You think that the Right is dangerous because of intent.

Given evil intent, wouldn't the danger be mitigated by incompetence?

You guys always want to have it both ways. The Right is evil; The Right is stupid and incompetent.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:31 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The Right is evil; The Right is stupid and incompetent.

Why can't the right be all 3? I'm not saying they are, but I don't see how any of them are exclusive of the others.

OR

Since the right is made up of many different people, is it not possible that portions of the right, sub-categories of the right, can be one or more of these 3 things.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:03 pm
maporsche wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The Right is evil; The Right is stupid and incompetent.

Why can't the right be all 3? I'm not saying they are, but I don't see how any of them are exclusive of the others.

OR

Since the right is made up of many different people, is it not possible that portions of the right, sub-categories of the right, can be one or more of these 3 things.

The concept of evil implies awareness at a fairly high level.

It is difficult to reconcile evil with stupidity and ignorance.

Evil can be incompetent, but most of those who argue the Right is evil, do so because of a belief that these evil people are diabolically clever and capable of the most byzantine of plots.

If George Bush is a moron, then it's quite a stretch to suggest that he is evil. If Cheney is the evil puppet master manipulating Bush then it's pretty tough to argue that he is either stupid or incompetent.

Of course the mass of people who either consider themselves members of The Right or who are categorized as such are not uniform in their capabilities or inclinations. So, yes we can say that The Right is made up of the evil, the stupid and the incompetent. However, in this vein we must also be prepared to say that The Right is made up of the virtuous, the brilliant and the competent. Likewise we must be prepared to say that the Left incorporates all of these characteristics - good and bad.

The truth is that critics of The Right desire the ability to inflict maximum rhetorical damage on their target.

Being sanctimonious Leftists, The Right must be evil.

Being smug elitist Leftists, The Right must be stupid.

Interestingly enough, the Rightists who detest The Left don't fall afoul of this logic trap. They believe the Left is evil and that they are diabolically clever and capable of injecting their evil into American society.

But then Right-wingers don't have an obsession with being "smart," the way Left-wingers do.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:34 pm
I am ready and have been nuturing the Uglyness.

A rebirth of Nihilism in politics.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm
Amigo wrote:
I am ready and have been nuturing the Uglyness.

A rebirth of Nihilism in politics.

Nihilism would be fine if the damned Nihilists would abide by their precepts and either kill themselves or retreat into caves.

Since they tend to be a narcissistic bunch, better we simply do away with them as we would with rabid dogs.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:25 pm
Here is what Rush Limbaugh is up to today. This is really ugly...

Quote:
Limbaugh: We know that technological advancement is going along at light speed. And yet during this period of time, whether it be the last 57 years or be it the last 20 years, it seems that a majority of the black population has remained angry, frustrated, and behind. They've been left behind. They are acting like they've been left behind, and of course we've heard that this is because of racism, natural systemic institutional racism in America, that we are unfair, that this country is just horrible and rotten.

...The federal government became the father. The father didn't have to hang around in order for the kids to be okay, depending on how you define okay. But as you study more and more of this ACORN stuff, you find that it has been part of an entire movement that has been going on for two, maybe three decades, right under our noses.

We thought that it was just liberal welfare policies and all that that kept blacks from progressing while other minorities grew and prospered, but no, it is these wackos from Bill Ayers to Jeremiah Wright to other anti-American Afrocentric black liberation theologists with ACORN, and Barack Obama is smack dab in the middle of it, they have been training young black kids to hate, hate, hate this country, and they trained their parents before that to hate, hate, hate this country. It was a movement. It was a Bill Ayers, anti-capitalist, anti-American educational movement. ACORN is how it was implemented, right under our noses.
It has been a movement, it has been a religion, and Obama and Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers were all up to their big ears in it.
http://crooksandliars.com/

0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:07 pm
I fear worse will come .......

http://911review.org/Wiki/FemaTheSecretGovernment.shtml
0 Replies