The Coming Ugliness

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:21 am
Cheney was interviewed Sunday (yesterday) on Face the Nation. The interviewer asked Cheney for his opinion on the propriety of the coming Republican campaign strategy where X millions had been spent on producing up-coming advertising in which a full 90% was negative. Cheney thought it fine.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 06:40 pm
Hi Blatham!

I read Digby's award winning blog and I want to quote one of the posts from 9/9.

"Can Republicans ever win without cheating, rigging the game, or hiring the reporters to push their policies?

Here is what they always need:

They need to sneak fake documentaries into the historical record.

They need to set up red herrings and straw men.

They need to screen their audiences.

They need to falsely frame almost every debate.

They need to play games with language.

They need to sneak appointees in the back door.

They need to use code words to tip off their base.

They need to fight fair election policies.

They don't seem very strong to me."

Passerby 09/09/06...9:46 PM

I agree with the above, but for the strength part...their strength lies in their abilities to deceive and that they have done very well. This administration has proved that they can win elections by deceit, but they cannot govern.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:46 am
hi vnn

I'm beginning to feel like I haven't even started to get angry yet. This morning, I found out that GE who owns NBC/MSNBC has fired Eric Alterman. Here's one more book to read in that long list.

Quote:
from amazon
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:49 am
Egads, another book I JUST HAVE TO READ! Laughing ....and I will with your recommendation.

Did you find out why Eric was fired? You know GE makes munitions, don't you. He probably teed off the Military Industrial Complex with his articles. I am surprised that Keith Olbermann on MSNBC is not censored or fired.

I am going back to reading John Dean's book "Worse Than Watergate" that came out right before the '04 election. I somehow didn't finish it and wish that I had. His "Conservatives Without Conscience" was excellent. A true conservative should be irate with this administration.

Frightening to think that they can do whatever they choose to do without being called to account because of the secrecy and amorality.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
Keith Olbermann of MSNBC shown on Crooks and Liars....

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/CountDown-SpecialComment-Bush-911.mov

Edward R. Murrow moments....
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
Building Red America: The New Conservative Coalition and the Drive For Permanent Power

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #11,142 in Books
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 11:35 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
Egads, another book I JUST HAVE TO READ! Laughing ....and I will with your recommendation.

Did you find out why Eric was fired? You know GE makes munitions, don't you. He probably teed off the Military Industrial Complex with his articles. I am surprised that Keith Olbermann on MSNBC is not censored or fired.

I am going back to reading John Dean's book "Worse Than Watergate" that came out right before the '04 election. I somehow didn't finish it and wish that I had. His "Conservatives Without Conscience" was excellent. A true conservative should be irate with this administration.

Frightening to think that they can do whatever they choose to do without being called to account because of the secrecy and amorality.

Alterman says the noise around the water cooler is that it was a political decision, but that he doesn't really have any way of knowing. His immediate seniors have always, he says, been very supportive. His was one of the first blogs carried by a major media outlet.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
SierraSong wrote:
Building Red America: The New Conservative Coalition and the Drive For Permanent Power

True. On the other hand, #3 on the political bestseller list...
Quote:
Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War (Hardcover)
by Michael Isikoff, David Corn

So, where does that leave you, missy?
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:44 pm
Blatham...

More from the MYDD blog about Eric Alterman and the good ratings that Olbermann has gotten after he spoke out. Lets see if he gets the Alterman treatment as well.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2006/9/11/221640/106
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:55 pm
To this point, Olberman says he's been getting nothing but support from his superiors. His ratings are reported to be on a steady climb while O'Reilly's (and fox generally) are dropping (I tried to verify this but haven't figured out how yet).

Ratings are clearly a fundamental measure that all the networks use. Whether that trumps other forces will be interesting to watch. I'm not fully confident.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
Blatham:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/aug_s_total_viewers_vs_aug_2005_42895.asp

Quote:
Aug. #'s: Total Viewers Vs. Aug. 2005
I will add HLN and CNBC, ASAP...

Total day:

FNC CNN MSNBC
Aug. '06: 933 584 277
Aug. '05: 1,001 433 220
% change: -7% +35% +26%

Primetime:

FNC CNN MSNBC
Aug. '06: 1,511 902 371
Aug. '05: 2,093 748 349
% change: -28% +21% +6%

As you can see, Fox... hasn't been doing so hot lately.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
blatham wrote:
SierraSong wrote:

True. On the other hand, #3 on the political bestseller list...
Quote:
Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War (Hardcover)
by Michael Isikoff, David Corn

So, where does that leave you, missy?

Well, actually it's #11 if you're referring to Amazon.

It leaves me thinking, good. Good for all of us who choose to read viewpoints from both sides, and then make up our own minds.

Isikoff....Isikoff....that name rings a bell. Oh, yeah - isn't he the one who 'created' the "Koran/toilet flushing" story which turned out to be false?

Isikoff lied...people died.

He did 'apologize', though.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:40 am
SierraSong wrote:

Isikoff....Isikoff....that name rings a bell. Oh, yeah - isn't he the one who 'created' the "Koran/toilet flushing" story which turned out to be false?

Isikoff lied...people died.

He did 'apologize', though.

Some attention to the truth of the matter might serve us all well.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857407/site/newsweek/
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:10 pm
Isikoff says that a longtime reliable source (a senior U.S. government official who must remain anonymous, dontcha know) told him that there were new details that might mention the flushing of a Qur'an down a toilet.

Then an 'anonymous' senior Defense official remains silent when asked about said Qur'an flushing incident. Newsweek thinks this silence was 'misleading'. Of course they did.

Since there were 'allegations' about other treatment of prisoners, well, this old Qur'an flushing thingy didn't seem such a stretch to Newsweek.

Oh - and they bring up the old "but, but, but we werent the FIRST to report Qur'an abuse allegations". Like that's meaningful in any way to what Isikoff did.

Quote:
"On Saturday, Isikoff spoke to his original source, the senior government official, who said that he clearly recalled reading investigative reports about mishandling the Qur'an, including a toilet incident. But the official, still speaking anonymously, could no longer be sure that these concerns had surfaced in the SouthCom report. Told of what the NEWSWEEK source said, DiRita exploded, "People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said. How could he be credible now?"

Indeed. So Isikoff never had any real evidence of any such incident, but decided to pretend he did anyway.

Isikoff lied......people died.

But.....he apologized.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:14 pm
E.coli!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:31 am
SierraSong wrote:
Isikoff says that a longtime reliable source (a senior U.S. government official who must remain anonymous, dontcha know) told him that there were new details that might mention the flushing of a Qur'an down a toilet.

Then an 'anonymous' senior Defense official remains silent when asked about said Qur'an flushing incident. Newsweek thinks this silence was 'misleading'. Of course they did.

Since there were 'allegations' about other treatment of prisoners, well, this old Qur'an flushing thingy didn't seem such a stretch to Newsweek.

Oh - and they bring up the old "but, but, but we werent the FIRST to report Qur'an abuse allegations". Like that's meaningful in any way to what Isikoff did.

Quote:
"On Saturday, Isikoff spoke to his original source, the senior government official, who said that he clearly recalled reading investigative reports about mishandling the Qur'an, including a toilet incident. But the official, still speaking anonymously, could no longer be sure that these concerns had surfaced in the SouthCom report. Told of what the NEWSWEEK source said, DiRita exploded, "People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said. How could he be credible now?"

Indeed. So Isikoff never had any real evidence of any such incident, but decided to pretend he did anyway.

Isikoff lied......people died.

But.....he apologized.

Well, you aren't going to get past the comfort of your slogans.

Bush lied...people died.
Cheney lied...people died.
Rice shopped and lied...people died.
Hundreds of thousands of people. Women, children. 3000 American servicemen/women died. Many thousands with eyes missing, arms missing, legs missing, balls missing.

Some new slogans for ya.

Let me know when you sign up for courses in Ethics, Epistemology and Critical Thinking and I will chip in on tuition.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
So, Isikoff/Corn are your heroes. You should order your new tinfoil hat in a bigger size.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:58 am
Quote:
"On Saturday, Isikoff spoke to his original source, the senior government official, who said that he clearly recalled reading investigative reports about mishandling the Qur'an, including a toilet incident. But the official, still speaking anonymously, could no longer be sure that these concerns had surfaced in the SouthCom report.

I'm not sure what is supposed to be so bad about this. Isikoff quoted a senior government official, who told him he read of the Koran incident in an investigative report, but the official is not sure that it was in one specific report, the SouthCom report. Isikoff did not name the government official, a practice quite common in news reporting.

But the official still maintains that he read it in some official report. I'm sure there are other reports besides the SouthCom report, and the official must have read it in one of those.

What is supposed to be bad about this?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:30 am
Just Giggles doesn't do objective. That's not her role here. She's a movement activist and pretty much every one of her posts is driven by that motivation and consequently suffers in rationality. And intellectual worth. Isikoff's contribution, for example, to the Monica story won't be alluded to. Nor the ubiquitous "unnamed administration officials" quoted in modern 'journalism' who 'leak' information multiple times every day to multiple reporters, all to move and manipulate discourse and the citizens' notions regardless of truthfulness or accuracy.

As to more ugly...

Editorial
Quote:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 04:50 am
how depressingly predictable...

Quote:
On the brink of what could be a power-shifting election, it is kitchen-sink time: Desperate candidates are throwing everything. While negative campaigning is a tradition in American politics, this year's version in many races has an eccentric shade, filled with allegations of moral bankruptcy and sexual perversion.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/26/AR2006102601811.html
0 Replies