Retired Generals finally calling for Rumsfeld resignation

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 03:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
detano inipo wrote:
There are generals who were hanged after WW2 for their crimes. All of them followed orders.

Are you trying to make some kind of moral equivalency with that comment?

It is my experience that DI lacks a sense of proportion, and is all too eager to believe the most egregious crap which he reads at looney leftwingnut web sites. In this case, it appears that he refers to a few Japanese officers who were executed after the war. There were few executions of anyone after the Second World War, and it could easily be asserted that these were revenge killings.

He usually either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he has swallowed whole some crap he read online. My advice is to pay little heed to what he posts.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
Jodl (hanged)
Keitel (hanged)
Raeder (hanged)
Goering (died 3 hours before being hanged)
Sorry about the mistake; none of them were generals.
http://history1900s.about.com/library/holocaust/aa101899.htm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:19 pm
DI
detano inipo wrote:
Jodl (hanged)
Keitel (hanged)
Raeder (hanged)
Goering (died 3 hours before being hanged)
Sorry about the mistake; none of them were generals.
http://history1900s.about.com/library/holocaust/aa101899.htm

Being really nice folks, we forgive you.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:22 pm
All of them were scumbags because they fought for another bigger scumbag.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Janis Leigh Karpinski (born May 25, 1953, Rahway, New Jersey) is a United States Army Colonel in the 800th Military Police Brigade. She was demoted from Brigadier General in the aftermath of the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal.

She was the commander of three large US- and British-led prisons in Iraq in 2003, eight battalions, and 3400 Army reservists.
In October 2005 she published an account of her experiences, One Woman's Army, the Commanding General of Abu Ghraib Tells Her Story, in which she claims that the abuses were perpetrated by contract employees trained in Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay and sent under orders from Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and that her demotion was political retribution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Karpinski
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:51 pm
DI
She was booted out of the command information loop at the prison by General Sanchez, who is largely responsible for the torturing that went on but is being protected by Rumsfeld, who is penultimately responsible for the orders, not in writing.

BBB
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
And II suppose that the NCO's and enlisted soldiers who posed for thos pictures were realy contract workers.

SHE was responsible for the people under her command!

But I guess in your mind its a fiendish plot just to get Col Kapinski and a group of NCO's and enlisted in trouble.

I have no objoections with any of them getting burned for their behavior.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:59 pm
ralpheb wrote:
And II suppose that the NCO's and enlisted soldiers who posed for thos pictures were realy contract workers.

SHE was responsible for the people under her command!

But I guess in your mind its a fiendish plot just to get Col Kapinski and a group of NCO's and enlisted in trouble.

I have no objoections with any of them getting burned for their behavior.

Are you really so brainwashed that you don't think the tacit permission to do that crap came from higher than Karpinski?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:13 pm
Are you such an asshole that you cannot accept the fact that it was still her command and that SHE has to take responsibility for what her people did
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
ralpheb wrote:
Are you such an **** that you cannot accept the fact that it was still her command and that SHE has to take responsibility for what her people did

and who's the Commander-in-Chief?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:33 pm
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:
Are you such an **** that you cannot accept the fact that it was still her command and that SHE has to take responsibility for what her people did

I just can't understand the logic that would pin ultimate responsibility on a one star general and not on those whose policies she carried out. It's almost enough to make one understand the characterizations of military members as stupid.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:59 pm
The primary cause of her case was that she let outrageous abuse happen. There is normal? intrigation techniques and then there is what was allowed. SHE, being there has that responsibilty to make sure things don't get carried away.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:04 pm
Boomer,

If they vote Republican, they advance the hard right program now being administrated by Bush and his cronies! Regardless of what they are polled as believing, they vote for the hard right program, and all of the hate, bigotry, and everything else pushed by the Republican Party!!!

Anon
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:28 pm
snood wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:

I just can't understand the logic that would pin ultimate responsibility on a one star general and not on those whose policies she carried out. It's almost enough to make one understand the characterizations of military members as stupid.

Do you hold her responsible at all, Snood?

I agree with you that there was (much more than) tacit permission to torture and torment at Abu Ghraib.......but ought she to have allowed it even if directly ordered to do so ?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
dlowan wrote:
snood wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:

I agree with you that there was (much more than) tacit permission to torture and torment at Abu Ghraib.......but ought she to have allowed it even if directly ordered to do so ?

People wonder why I hate the military so much! This is certainly one of the reasons. They say you don't have to obey an illegal order, but the problem is that there is no such thing as an illegal order. These people have no conscience and no moral code. It's an embarrassment to be an American anymore!

Anon
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
dlowan wrote:
snood wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:

Yes, she, and the Staff Sergeant, and the PFC. Yes, they should've been punished - as they were. BUT SO SHOULD THOSE ABOVE THEM WHO FACILITATED THE POLICIES WHICH ALLOWED THE ABUSE!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:03 pm
Ok...no need to shout. I agree.

I have been a bit freaked out by all the "soldiers should just follow orders" stuff posted here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
dlowan wrote:
snood wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:

People wonder why I hate the military so much! This is certainly one of the reasons. They say you don't have to obey an illegal order, but the problem is that there is no such thing as an illegal order. These people have no conscience and no moral code. It's an embarrassment to be an American anymore!

Anon

You go right ahead and hate the military all you want, but not all military people are the same, and if not for the military you wouldn't have a nice warm safe place from which to hate them.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:04 pm
snood wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
dlowan wrote:
snood wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
ralpheb wrote:

Anon

You go right ahead and hate the military all you want, but not all military people are the same, and if not for the military you wouldn't have a nice warm safe place from which to hate them.

You're talking to a disabled VietNam vet ... you tell me all about it Snood!

Anon
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:13 pm
If that's true, you shouldn't take such broad swipes at the whole military. I don't care if you're George frikkin Washington - you did say "I hate the military".
0 Replies