Retired Generals finally calling for Rumsfeld resignation

detano inipo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:31 am
During WW2 Hitler made all the important decisions, often against the wishes of the generals. He was totally in charge and eventually made fatal errors and lost the war.
It was good that he lost; too bad that his orders cost millions of lives.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:40 am
detano inipo wrote:
During WW2 Hitler made all the important decisions, often against the wishes of the generals. He was totally in charge and eventually made fatal errors and lost the war.

History repeats itself.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:42 am
True, a civilian tells generals how to fight and a president backs him up.
Bad mixture of incompetence and unlimited power.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060414/pl_nm/iraq_usa_dc&printer=1;_ylt=AjGhnCxT622wcwiTsEj6oSwb.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Generals demand Rumsfeld's resignation
By Steve Holland
Thu Apr 13, 10:58 PM ET

Two more retired U.S. generals called for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to resign on Thursday, claiming the chief architect of the Iraq war and subsequent American occupation should be held accountable for the chaos there.

As the high-ranking officers accused Rumsfeld of arrogance and ignoring his field commanders, the White House was forced to defend a man who has been a lightning rod for criticism over a war that has helped drive President George W. Bush's public approval ratings to new lows.

Retired Marine Corps Gen. Anthony Zinni told CNN Rumsfeld should be held responsible for a series of blunders, starting with "throwing away 10 years worth of planning, plans that had taken into account what we would face in an occupation of Iraq."

The spreading challenge to the Pentagon's civilian leadership included criticism from some recently retired senior officers directly involved in the Iraq war and its planning.

Six retired generals have now called for Rumsfeld to step down, including two who spoke out on Thursday.

"I really believe that we need a new secretary of defense because Secretary Rumsfeld carries way too much baggage with him," said retired Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack, who led the Army's 82nd Airborne Division in Iraq.

"Specifically, I feel he has micromanaged the generals who are leading our forces," he told CNN.

Retired Major Gen. John Riggs told National Public Radio that Rumsfeld had helped create an atmosphere of "arrogance" among the Pentagon's top civilian leadership.

"They only need the military advice when it satisfies their agenda. I think that's a mistake, and that's why I think he should resign," Riggs said.

But at the White House, the 73-year-old Rumsfeld drew unflinching support. "Yes, the president believes Secretary Rumsfeld is doing a very fine job during a challenging period," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.

Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who commanded the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq before his retirement, urged Rumsfeld on Wednesday to resign.

Retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Gregory Newbold and Army Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton have also spoken out against Rumsfeld.

The outcry came as opinion polls show eroding public support for the 3-year-old Iraq war in which about 2,360 U.S. troops have died and Bush is struggling to bolster Americans' confidence in the war effort.

IGNORING THE CALLS

Rumsfeld has offered at least twice to resign, but each time Bush has turned him down.

Pentagon spokesman Eric Ruff said Rumsfeld is ignoring the calls for him to quit and they have not been a distraction.

"Has he talked to the White House? The answer is no, he's not. And two, the question of resignation: was he considering it? No."

Ruff added: "I don't know how many generals there are -- a couple thousand, at least. And they're going to have opinions."

Critics have accused Rumsfeld of bullying senior military officers and disregarding their views. They often cite how Rumsfeld dismissed then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Eric Shinseki's opinion a month before the 2003 invasion that occupying Iraq could require "several hundred thousand troops," not the smaller force Rumsfeld would send.

But retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Mike DeLong rejected the idea that new leadership was needed at the Pentagon.

"Dealing with Secretary Rumsfeld is like dealing with a CEO," he told CNN. "When you walk in to him, you've got to be prepared. You've got to know what you're talking about. If you don't, you're summarily dismissed. But that's the way it is, and he's effective."

The White House pointed to comments supportive of Rumsfeld from Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and said criticism was to be expected at a time of war in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We are a nation at war and we are a nation that is going through a military transformation. Those are issues that tend to generate debate and disagreement and we recognize that," McClellan said.

(Additional reporting by David Morgan)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:38 am
BBB
I was pleased to learn that someone else agrees with me.---BBB

The Revolt Against Rumsfeld
By Fred Kaplan
Slate.com
Wednesday 12 April 2006

The officer corps is getting restless.
It's an odd thought, but a military coup in this country right now would probably have a moderating influence. Not that an actual coup is pending; still less is one desirable. But we are witnessing the rumblings of an officers' revolt, and things could get ugly if it were to take hold and roar.

The revolt is a reluctant one, aimed specifically at the personage of Donald Rumsfeld and the way he is conducting the war in Iraq.

It is startling to hear, in private conversations, how widely and deeply the U.S. officer corps despises this secretary of defense. The joke in some Pentagon circles is that if Rumsfeld were meeting with the service chiefs and commanders and a group of terrorists barged into the room and kidnapped him, not a single general would lift a finger to help him.

Some of the most respected retired generals are publicly criticizing Rumsfeld and his policies in a manner that's nearly unprecedented in the United States, where civilian control of the military is accepted as a hallowed principle. Gen. Anthony Zinni, a Marine with a long record of command positions (his last was as head of U.S. Central Command, which runs military operations in the Persian Gulf and South Asia), called last month for Rumsfeld's resignation. Army Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who ran the program to train the Iraqi military, followed with a New York Times op-ed piece lambasting Rumsfeld as "incompetent strategically, operationally and tactically," and a man who "has put the Pentagon at the mercy of his ego, his Cold Warrior's view of the world, and his unrealistic confidence in technology to replace manpower."

But the most eye-popping instance appears in this week's Time magazine, where retired Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, the former operations director for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, not only slams the secretary and what he calls "the unnecessary war" but also urges active-duty officers who share his views to speak up. Newbold resigned his position in late 2002 - quite a gesture, since he was widely regarded as a candidate for the next Marine Corps commandant. His fellow officers knew he resigned over the coming war in Iraq. The public and the president did not. He writes in Time:

I now regret that I did not more openly challenge those who were determined to invade a country whose actions were peripheral to the real threat - al-Qaeda. … [T]he Pentagon's military leaders … with few exceptions, acted timidly when their voices urgently needed to be heard. When they knew the plan was flawed, saw intelligence distorted to justify a rationale for war, or witnessed arrogant micromanagement that at times crippled the military's effectiveness, many leaders who wore the uniform chose inaction. … It is time for senior military leaders to discard caution in expressing their views and ensure that the President hears them clearly. And that we won't be fooled again.

Newbold isn't urging active-duty senior officers to go public, just to speak out directly to the president (whose handlers famously filter the bad news from official reports before they hit the Oval Office). Still, in a climate where the secretary of defense hammers three-star generals for daring to suggest that our troops in Iraq are fighting "insurgents" and not just "terrorists," Newbold's invocation reads like a revolutionary manifesto. Generals of the Pentagon, unite! You have nothing to lose but your stars!

If Rumsfeld is in less danger than these calls for his head might suggest, it's in part because not many generals want to lose those stars - and quite a lot of colonels would like to earn some. (Remember: Zinni, Eaton, and Newbold are retired generals; they have no more promotions to risk.)

The patron saint, but also the object lesson, of the many officers who are mulling their options - whether to heed Newbold's rallying cry or keep their heads down and shoes polished - is Gen. Eric Shinseki, the former Army chief of staff who spoke truth to power and got slammed for his troubles. Shortly before the invasion, Shinseki told the Senate armed services committee that "a few hundred thousand" troops would be needed to impose order after the war was over. Paul Wolfowitz, then deputy secretary of defense, upbraided him in public the next day; Rumsfeld named Shinseki's successor a year in advance of his scheduled retirement, thus undercutting his authority for the rest of his term. In his Times op-ed, Gen. Eaton wrote of Shinseki's punishment, "The rest of the senior brass got the message, and nobody has complained since."

Zinni, Eaton, and Newbold are explicitly trying to supplant the lesson of Shinseki with an earlier lesson - one that was propagated throughout the U.S. armed forces in the late 1990s but laid aside once the war in Iraq got under way. It came from a book called Dereliction of Duty, by H.R. McMaster, then an Army major, now a colonel. Based on extensive research into declassified files, the book concluded that during the 1960s, the Joint Chiefs of Staff betrayed their constitutional duties by failing to provide their honest military judgment to President Lyndon B. Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara as they plunged into the quagmire of Vietnam. When McMaster's book was published in 1997, during the Clinton administration, Gen. Hugh Shelton, then the JCS chairman, ordered all his service chiefs and commanders to read it and follow its lessons to the letter - to express disagreements to their superiors, even at the risk of getting yelled at. William Cohen, Clinton's secretary of defense, echoed the sentiment. Ever since, Dereliction of Duty has been a must-read for all senior officers.

At a small, on-the-record press lunch last week with Gen. Zinni (who was promoting his new book, The Battle for Peace), I asked him what would have happened had even two other active-duty generals appeared before Congress - or resigned and called a press conference - to support Shinseki's testimony. Gen. Zinni said he thought President Bush would have had a harder time rallying political support for the invasion. I also asked him why, in the three years since the war's start, not a single active-duty general has mustered the courage (or recklessness, disloyalty, call it what you will) to follow Shinseki's example - or, to put it another way, to follow the lesson in Dereliction of Duty.

Gen. Zinni referred to another book, a favorite of officers for nearly four decades now - Anton Myrer's 1968 novel, Once an Eagle. It's about two Army officers, friends from childhood, and their rise through the ranks: Sam Damon, a straight-arrow field commander, and Courtney Massengale, a scheming Pentagon careerist. Gen. Zinni said the two characters are widely seen in his profession as symbols for the two types of military officer - and the two paths of military promotion. He stopped short of saying so explicitly, but he suggested that the Pentagon's upper ranks contain too many Courtney Massengales and not enough Sam Damons.

He acknowledged other reasons many generals have declined to follow Shinseki, et al. into dissent. Some have no problem with the war or the way it has been conducted. Many others take very seriously the principle of civilian control; they firmly believe it is not their place to disagree with the president and his duly appointed secretary of defense - certainly not to do so in public, especially while the nation is at war. As a matter of principle, we should be glad that they feel this way. There are plenty of lessons from books, movies, and history that support this view as well: Seven Days in May (a charismatic general mounts a coup to keep the president from signing a nuclear-test-ban treaty with the Soviets), Dr. Strangelove (a loony general launches a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union without presidential authority), and the true-life tale of Gen. Douglas MacArthur (heroic commander of Korean War troops publicly advocates going beyond the 38th parallel and invading Communist China, forcing President Harry Truman to recall him).

MacArthur's legacy in particular has kept even the boldest generals deeply reluctant to criticize civilian leaders over the decades. Rumsfeld's arrogance, his "casualness and swagger" as Gen. Newbold put it - which have caused so many strategic blunders, so much death and disaster - have started to tip some officers over the edge. They may prove a good influence in the short run. But if Rumsfeld resists their encroachments and fights back, the whole hierarchy of command could implode as officers feel compelled not merely to stay silent but to choose one side or the other. And if the rebel officers win, they might find they like the taste of bureaucratic victory - and feel less constrained to renew the internecine combat when other, less momentous disputes arise in the future.

Both paths are cluttered with drear and danger. Does President Bush know this is going on? If he does, he would do the nation - and the Constitution - a big favor if he launched a different sort of pre-emptive attack and got rid of Rumsfeld now.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
We need for Bush and his entire Administration to "step down".

Anon
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:48 am
Ummmmm....

Is everybody reading each other's posts or even their own?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:17 pm
I admit, I don't read the cut-n-pastes. I read everything else.

Anon
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
I'm thinking that maybe nobody but me reads them -- not even the people who post them!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:28 pm
Agreed re cut 'n' paste posts. Don't read 'em. Still, some of us can't seem to stop doing it. Sigh...

Anyhow, the White House reaction to all this would appear to be, "You're doing a helluva job, Rummy!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:33 pm
I read the last one bumblebee posted, found it interesting.

I am fine with just links, and am not attracted to threads with miles of cut and paste. Lotta folks won't bother with links, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:40 pm
Yeah but the same article was posted at 10:28, then again at 11:38.

I realize this is way off track for this thread, which is a topic I find very interesting, but it is a little annoying to have to sort through so much repitition.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:20 pm
So, am I wasting my time by posting news (information) about the topic? Are we in a vacuum, then? Does that not fall into the same realm of ignorance that we accuse the US voters of? Unless, of course, you are reading this material on your own. Are you? How many newspapers do you read each day?

I read the articles, and that is how I know they contain new information, and are relevant.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:23 pm
No, not at all. I'm talking about posting the EXACT same article over and over.

I read all of the posts -- until I realize that it has already been posted.

That is why I was wondering if anyone was really reading what they themselves and others had posted.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:40 pm
If I were to post the same post twice, it would be in error. Or sometimes, the timing of posts is such that they overlap. AP or Reuters will often release something first, and then a somewhat similar article is published by a media outlet.

But then again, some people do not read what others have posted previously.
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:29 pm
He shouldn't resign, he should be tossed out on his worthless ass.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:29 am
Another two US generals have weighed into the row over whether Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should quit.

Rumsfeld resignation row simmers
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 04:23 am
Some interesting articles on this topic, including the memorandum the Pentagon issued to certain "friendly" retired generals, in today's New York Times.

But since people don't seem to read copied and pasted material, you will have to go to the source if you are interested.

You, too, Anon.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 04:55 am
Re: DrewDad
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
I have to disagree to some extent. The military must submit to the will of the civilian leadership, even when the military leaders disagree. Anything else leads to the military determining the leader(s) of the country.

You disagree in private, then follow orders. Public disagreements would undermine morale, and ultimately be a greater disservice.

I wonder if the families of the troops killed and wounded would agree with you? One must also include the thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians killed and wounded.

It's a tough issue you raise. I think loyalty to the civilian leadership can only go so far as long as it is not a military coup to take over the country by eliminating the president.

Really? Are you serious? As long as as they're not eliminating the President, the military should be free to publicly disagree and even refuse to follow up with any decision of the administration?

Would you hold to that when a Democratic president is in power too?

Say, President Clinton is in power, his (or her) Defense Secretary decides that a certain action is to be taken on Darfur, and his generals plain refuse to do so? Wouldnt you be outraged at that?

Or, in a Clinton administration, the army's generals in service repeatedly tell WaPo or Fox News how much they think the administration's decisions are crap? You'd applaud that?

Somehow I dont believe you... for a moment.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:00 am
Ex-NATO chief joins call for Rumsfeld's sacking

A former commander of NATO, Wesley Clark, has joined six other retired United States generals in calling for the resignation of the US Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld.

He says Mr Rumsfeld has also lost the confidence of some serving officers, because of his handling of the war in Iraq and because they believe Mr Rumsfeld does not listen to advice.

General Clark, who was a candidate for the Democratic Party presidential nomination in 2004, said Mr Rumsfeld had pushed the US into war in Iraq, before the diplomatic process had ended.

Speaking on a US news channel, he said this had been a tragic mistake.

General Clark said Mr Rumsfeld had made bad policy choices and had not done an adequate job.

But General Richard Myers, who up until last year was America's most senior military officer, joined President Bush in defending Mr Rumsfeld.

General Myers said that during four years as joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, he had never heard such complaints about Mr Rumsfeld.

-BBC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200604/s1617005.htm
0 Replies