Retired Generals finally calling for Rumsfeld resignation

SierraSong

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:59 am
blatham wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:
Are you equally impressed with the resume of the former head of CIA Counterespionage, Aldridge Ames? Look where it got him

As to what might impress us, we'll note that you've managed to pull off the very difficult feat of providing a response even more logically irrelevant than your earlier post.

The good news is, of course, that the lies aren't working any longer. Tonite, all the news shows did a fine job of covering McGovern's questions to Rumsfeld and then cross-checking Rumsfeld's replies with what McGovern claimed Rumsfeld had said previously. McGovern had it right, word for word. Facts, of course, have a liberal bias.

Oh, get a grip and realize that just because you're mightily impressed with the credentials of some CIA has-been, not everyone is.

Did the news shows you watched include the boos for McGovern and the applause for Rumsfeld? The ones I watched did.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:00 am
blatham wrote:
Turning, turning, turning...

Quote:
NEW YORK USA Today founder Al Neuharth, once known for his generally Republican views, appears to have seen enough of President Bush. In his column today for USA Today, he once again hits the Iraq war (he is one of the few mainstream journalists to favor a quick withdrawal), then notes the presient's approval rating having plunged from 71% to 34% in the Gallup poll since 2003.

"How low can Bush's approval rating go? My hunch is it's at or near the bottom," he suggests. "That 34% represents mostly unshakeable far-right wingers. Like Bush, Vice President Cheney and company, they are in denial. As were the 24% in the polls who still approved of President Richard Nixon before he resigned in disgrace.

"What happened to the 37% who have switched from pro-Bush to anti-Bush? They finally realized they were suckered by Bush and his buddies back then about Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction, his tie to terrorists and his threat to the USA."

Neuharth, a decorated war veteran, concludes: "President Abraham Lincoln was right when he said: 'You may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.'"
link

The only thing lower than the president's approval rating is the approval rating for Democrats.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:03 am
SierraSong wrote:
blatham wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:
Are you equally impressed with the resume of the former head of CIA Counterespionage, Aldridge Ames? Look where it got him

As to what might impress us, we'll note that you've managed to pull off the very difficult feat of providing a response even more logically irrelevant than your earlier post.

The good news is, of course, that the lies aren't working any longer. Tonite, all the news shows did a fine job of covering McGovern's questions to Rumsfeld and then cross-checking Rumsfeld's replies with what McGovern claimed Rumsfeld had said previously. McGovern had it right, word for word. Facts, of course, have a liberal bias.

Oh, get a grip and realize that just because you're mightily impressed with the credentials of some CIA has-been, not everyone is.

Did the news shows you watched include the boos for McGovern and the applause for Rumsfeld? The ones I watched did.

So, you're just going to have this whole bout of denial right out in public, for all to see, eh? Just completely disregard that Rumsfeld was caught in a lie using a quotation of his own words, huh? Just skip over that little inconvenient detail, and go right to who asked, and how many boos he got, is that it? Just exactly how frikkin pitiful are you, Sierra?
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:07 am
You need to keep up. The question had been asked and answered, and asked and answered and asked and answered....oh well, you get the idea.
(Which is why McGovern got booed).

In the meantime, you ever consider Anger Management class?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:18 am
SierraSong wrote:

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his credentials. I'm impressed by the questions he asked Rumsfeld.

SierraSong wrote:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:25 am
SierraSong wrote:
The only thing lower than the president's approval rating is the approval rating for Democrats.

That statement shows someone completely out of touch with reality.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:43 am
old europe wrote:
SierraSong wrote:

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his credentials. I'm impressed by the questions he asked Rumsfeld.

SierraSong wrote:

Why do you think he was booed? Could it be that the audience recognized that the questioner wasn't interested in any answers, but was a lame attempt to show his anti-war, anti-Israel ass?

Where abouts are you in Old Europe? Germany?

And, by the way, Rummy eats CIA has-beens for breakfast. Just in case you hadn't noticed Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:43 am
Quote:
• A majority of Americans say they want Democrats rather than Republicans to control Congress (51 percent to 34 percent). That's the largest gap recorded by AP-Ipsos since Bush took office. Even 31 percent of conservatives want Republicans out of power.

source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:57 am
Quote:
Why do you think he was booed? Could it be that the audience recognized that the questioner wasn't interested in any answers, but was a lame attempt to show his anti-war, anti-Israel ass.

The questioner was interested in honest answers rather than the lying answer he got.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:01 am
SierraSong wrote:
Why do you think he was booed? Could it be that the audience recognized that the questioner wasn't interested in any answers, but was a lame attempt to show his anti-war, anti-Israel ass?

He was booed when he repeated, more or less word for word, Rumsfeld's statement from before the war. Rumsfeld was applauded simply for saying "I haven't lied". That indicates to me that the audience didn't feel the need to be told why Rumsfeld thought he hadn't lied. They were quite content with him saying "I haven't lied".

Now, to me, personally, that one specific Rumsfeld quote (you know, the bit where he actually said about the WMD "We know where they are.") seemed to be a bit dubious. Now somebody, it doesn't really matter who (I don't know the guy, and frankly, I don't care), tells Rumsfeld "You said you knew where they were". Which is the truth. What is Rumsfeld's answer? "I did not."

The point is that the audience doesn't even care what Rumsfeld has to say. He doesn't need to defend himself, because he did nothing wrong. There are recorded statements, which contradict each other, but the audience doesn't even think that there should be some clarification on that. It's absolutely okay if Rumsfeld says "I haven't lied".

Nevermind. Back to the questions you avoided to answer. Whom would you rather prefer having asked the question? Do you think it was an illegitimate question? Do you think Rumsfeld's answer was satisfying?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:23 am
He probably still needs to think about it - ain't that right, Sierra?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:37 am
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:

I tip my hat. There just ain't no stoppin' you at this irrelevancy game. It's a grand display of manly resolve and it keeps getting better with each post. Though you clearly need no assistance in being very foolish indeed, let me put my shoulder to your wheel and indicate that McGovern is shorter than Rumsfeld.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:41 am
Blatham,

Noooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:41 am
Hum....

Well, if we want to take the Limbaugh thread as a yardstick, it'll take at least 25 more pages until a righty admits that Rumsfeld actually dogded the question.

I realize that that's kind of an optimistic guess, though...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:48 am
old europe wrote:
Now somebody, it doesn't really matter who (I don't know the guy, and frankly, I don't care), tells Rumsfeld "You said you knew where they were". Which is the truth. What is Rumsfeld's answer? "I did not."

Nevermind. Back to the questions you avoided to answer. Whom would you rather prefer having asked the question? Do you think it was an illegitimate question? Do you think Rumsfeld's answer was satisfying?

"Whom would you rather prefer having asked the question?"

Oh, any anti-war leftist will do.

"Do you think it was an illegitimate question?"

Depends on what you mean by the word "illegitimate." It was not against the law, and as far as I know it was not born out of wedlock, so I guess it's legitimate. Does it show Rumsfeld lied? No.

"Do you think Rumsfeld's answer was satisfying?"

Not at all. Rumsfeld should have responded by stating that based on the best intelligence we had at the time, including from our Special Forces on the ground in Iraq, CIA intelligence, intelligence from prior administrations and and foreign governments, when he said he knew where the WMD was, that's where he had been told they were. That's what he should have said in response to both McGovern's and George Snuffleupagus' questions.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:13 pm
Quote:
Not at all. Rumsfeld should have responded by stating that based on the best intelligence we had at the time, including from our Special Forces on the ground in Iraq, CIA intelligence, intelligence from prior administrations and and foreign governments, when he said he knew where the WMD was, that's where he had been told they were. That's what he should have said in response to both McGovern's and George Snuffleupagus' questions

Yea, but he didn't say that. Instead he just denied making the statement and he was correctly called on it.

Quote:
QUESTION: You said you knew where they were.

RUMSFELD: I did not. I said I knew where suspect sites were and -

QUESTION: You said you knew where they were Tikrit, Baghdad, northeast, south, west of there. Those are your words.

http://thinkprogress.org/rumsfeld-called-tscript/
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:37 pm
Oh. Hi Tico! Thanks for answering...

Ticomaya wrote:

Why not just say "anybody", if you don't like McGovern? Are you implying that the right shouldn't ask questions, shouldn't demand clarification on Rumsfeld's contradicting statements?

Ticomaya wrote:
"Do you think it was an illegitimate question?"

Depends on what you mean by the word "illegitimate." It was not against the law, and as far as I know it was not born out of wedlock, so I guess it's legitimate. Does it show Rumsfeld lied? No.

So it was a fair question. Okay.

Ticomaya wrote:
"Do you think Rumsfeld's answer was satisfying?"

Not at all.

Oh. Alright. Thanks for that! I'm kind of surprised....

Ticomaya wrote:
Rumsfeld should have responded by stating that based on the best intelligence we had at the time, including from our Special Forces on the ground in Iraq, CIA intelligence, intelligence from prior administrations and and foreign governments, when he said he knew where the WMD was, that's where he had been told they were. That's what he should have said in response to both McGovern's and George Snuffleupagus' questions.

Should have could have.

How do you know that, anyway? How do you, Tico, know that he didn't have information that was just as good that said "there are absolutely no WMD in Iraq", and he just decided not to take that into account?

Why didn't he just say "We have solid information on where they are". That way people couldn't call him a liar now.

Why did he say "We know"?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:56 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:
Not at all. Rumsfeld should have responded by stating that based on the best intelligence we had at the time, including from our Special Forces on the ground in Iraq, CIA intelligence, intelligence from prior administrations and and foreign governments, when he said he knew where the WMD was, that's where he had been told they were. That's what he should have said in response to both McGovern's and George Snuffleupagus' questions

Yea, but he didn't say that. Instead he just denied making the statement and he was correctly called on it.

Yes, revel, we know this.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:57 pm
old europe wrote:
Oh. Hi Tico! Thanks for answering...

Ticomaya wrote:

Why not just say "anybody", if you don't like McGovern? Are you implying that the right shouldn't ask questions, shouldn't demand clarification on Rumsfeld's contradicting statements?

I don't care one way or the other about McGovern. I guess my answer ought to have conveyed as much ... at least that was the intent. I'm certainly NOT implying the right shouldn't ask questions, but generally the right has not tended to froth at the mouth and make bold and completely unsupportable accusations that the President or members of his cabinet are lying ... at least not recently.

If you would prefer that I replied with "anybody," I will amend my answer ... but only for you, OE.

Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Rumsfeld should have responded by stating that based on the best intelligence we had at the time, including from our Special Forces on the ground in Iraq, CIA intelligence, intelligence from prior administrations and and foreign governments, when he said he knew where the WMD was, that's where he had been told they were. That's what he should have said in response to both McGovern's and George Snuffleupagus' questions.

Should have could have.

How do you know that, anyway? How do you, Tico, know that he didn't have information that was just as good that said "there are absolutely no WMD in Iraq", and he just decided not to take that into account?

I don't know. I also don't know that the moon is not made of cheese.

Do you know that he had information that "there are absolutely no WMD in Iraq"?

OE wrote:
Why didn't he just say "We have solid information on where they are". That way people couldn't call him a liar now.

Why did he say "We know"?

My reply was based on information already provided by Rummy. I cannot tell you why he answered the way he did, but I have told you the way I think he should have answered to provide an answer that is "satisfying," which is what you were seeking.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:59 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Yes, revel, we know this.

Still trying to figure out if Tico wants to be funny here....
0 Replies