Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@chai2,
Wow. Just looked at the reviews and photos on yelp. Sounds like you may have an extraordinary meal.
chai2

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 03:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I can't wrap my head around some of the combinations of food on the menu, but I trust it'll be good. Once I see and smell it, it'll make sense.

There's this other restaurant we've gone to twice, called The Salty Sow. I wish we had a gift card for there instead. Now THAT was an amazing meal. Their reviews are just as good, so I'm thinking this place (which is like 3 blocks from me) will be tasty.

Look up the Salty Sow.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 04:49 pm
@chai2,
fresh dry pack scallops in a butter sautee, topped with bits of bacon crumbles. Accompanied our oown garden fresh asparagus spears with a balsamic dressing. Sie dish of brown rice with a scallop butter sauce

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 06:50 pm
@chai2,
Re meal, it was all right.

You just keep ordering different plates and sharing. With each plate, for 3 people you got 2 or 3 bites. Good thing because there were a lot of flavors going on, and after a 2nd or 3rd bite you would be over it.

It's really the type of place to meet with friends to drink a couple of $15 cocktails and be tipsy enough to enthuse about whatever the group ordered.

Let's see, I think this is what we ended up getting...

Pretzel, pig face carnitas, cheddar, fried egg puree. 1/2 price happy hour special
At some point someone ordered a 2nd plate of that.

Redfish ceviche, sweet potato curry, beet, grilled olive, grapefruit. 1/2 price happy hour special

Coffee roasted beets, black olive soil, smoked pecan, goat cheese, greens

Oyster mushroom tamale, scamorza, spicy lime crema, corn nuts

Braised goat pizza, pork fat mushrooms, crescenza, arugula, jus

Pastrami pork belly, rye pancake, cheddar, kraut, russian dressing

Lavender vanilla bean churro pecan, meyer lemon, marshmallow

Chocolate layer cake Mexican vanilla ice cream, chocolate potato chips

1 beer, 2 ice teas, 1 coffee, one espresso.

Bill came to about $120.

Am I glad I went. Sure, why not.

Would I go again? Naw, cross that off my bucket list.

15 minutes after we came home, my thin, can eat anything husband made some sausage and peppers on a bolillo.

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Sie dish of brown rice with a scallop butter sauce

I dearly love me some sie dish.
vonny

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:13 pm
@chai2,
Sea bream fillet in a soy and ginger sauce, tiny minted new potatoes, organic peas and kale.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:38 pm
I took a vacation day today and all I did was go to the gym and the market. Tonight I'm making chicken piccata and the curried chicken and rice soup the kids liked to much. Took me a while to figure out that chicken piccata recipe but I have it down now. Quite tasty!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:42 pm
@chai2,
how was this?

the rye pancake intrigues me - not an easy batter to get right
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:43 pm
what are we having tonight? no idea

sent the fella out with a shopping list. it'll be interesting to see what comes home
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@ehBeth,
We were in San Jose's J-town, so we bought a fresh tofu that we're having for dinner.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

how was this?

the rye pancake intrigues me - not an easy batter to get right

To be honest, can't remember.

In the clear light of day, I'd have to say that the entire meal was quite forgettable.
It's kind of like if you go to a nice party where they had number of interesting appetizers making the rounds, and you very much enjoyed them in the moment, but wouldn't think anything much about it the next day. Like I said before, their were quite an array of flavors. However, none of them were something you'd want to make an entire meal of, and after a taste or 2, tasty as each bite was, you were ready to move on.

Looking over what I listed as what we got, try as I might, I can't pick out any one thing as standing out, or even recalling the moment beyond "This taste good"

I will have to say though, I greatly admire the business plan of the owners.

Attract mostly hipsters who are pretending to be poor, but will shell out $60 to $70 a piece plus 20% plus tip, since they will have one or 2 cocktails that apparantly will enhance particular items. Put out tables with all mismatched chairs. Use all sandwich plates and ramekins that came from about 47 different sets of dishes via Goodwill and garage sales. Make sure that 23% of them have 1 to 3 chips around the edges. I know the chips were on purpose as none of the plates had cracks as well. Cracks would have been a health code violation.

Get waitstaff that are reasonably attractive and intelligent, and who have learned their product. I don't doubt they love their gig, as I figure they must be making $80 to $100 an hour in tips alone, even if they only had 4 tables.
Have them say things like "Would you like any more savory?" Have your 2000 square foot parking lot be valet only, so you can watch the valet trot 20 yards to fetch your car, then tip him 3 bucks.

Oh! and when you make your reservation, send a text 1/2 an hour before saying "You're due here in 30 minutes" Not, "we look forward to seeing you in half and hour, please let us know if there a any change of plans" or "As a reminder, you have made reservations for 3 at XX:XX, we look forward to your arrival." No, best to just say "you're due here in 30 minutes".

I'm serious, it was genius to put it together like this. When I pass the place, it's usually packed.

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 08:27 am
Bibimbap!
Tasty and fun to say
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:32 pm
We're staying in tonight and the Rican is cooking dinner. I have no idea what we're having because I've been told to stay the hell out of the kitchen while he's cooking Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:34 pm
Grilled pork chops, steamed broccoli/peas/sugar peas. garlic naan. Fast and delicious.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:50 pm
@ehBeth,
hoagies n pieces of Camembert cheese, after all what are we, barbarians?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 07:03 pm
@farmerman,
Gimme some of that camembert. I've got more garlic naan and camembert is really really good with it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 07:10 pm
Some homemade spicy hummus on seeded rye bread; part of the leftover sauteed fresh shrimp, also spicy. Sometime later, a bosc pear. There may be a later snack..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 07:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Im sorry, youre not a cheese eater, youre Canadian
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 02:43 am
@ehBeth,
I like to sliced the top off, add a garlic clove, some herbs and spices then bake it for 15 minutes. Then it can be used as a dip for crackers and French bread. (Sticks to the plate and makes washing up a bit tricky though.)
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 06:06 am
Ribs that you can bite into with the meat not falling off the bone. Finally.