Dinner tonight - or last night.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 07:07 pm
Well the missus loved my creative omelette theme dinner...can't complain here lovely Valentine's day going on.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Asparagus is on sale here this week at a couple of national chains for $2.49/pound, so I bought some because, in-season, it doesn't go below a couple of bucks a pound.

It was a really good accompaniment to the rack of lamb we had tonight.

(ehBeth - at Sobeys/Safeway, and Superstore matched their price.)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:28 pm
@mckenzie,
mckenzie, good to see you.

Ah, asparagus.. sigh.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 03:22 pm
Tonight is Alicia’s night and she wants pizza, so I’m going to order one and pick it up tonight. Probably get a antipasto salad to go with it.

I think tomorrow I'll make the Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo again, this time might put some cajun seasoning and use a rotisserie chicken. I read some of the comments on this recipe and people seem to like it.

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 03:47 pm
@mckenzie,
I'll have to look for asparagus at a price like that.

__

swam for 1.5 hours this afternoon. Set and Bella walked over to meet me at the pool. We stopped at Oak Park Deli - ordered the souvlaki special. I almost managed to finish mine <urp>. Set has put half of his souvlaki away - Toula made us huuuuge servings. I asked her to run the pita through the garden. There was so much lettuce/tomato/onion/tzatziki on there it was like a side salad.

Dinner will be tea and a small biscuit.
jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I can't remember what we paid for the asparagus. I don't think it was four bucks a pound though.
panzade

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 06:36 pm
@jcboy,
I bought some tonight. Thankfully its down to $2.99 a lb.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 07:35 pm
@jcboy,
with the exchange rate and weird weather, fruit and veggie prices have been all over the map up here

cauliflower was briefly up to $8/head in Toronto
it's back to $1.50/$2

asparagus is still around $7/lb
MMarciano

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 07:55 pm
@ehBeth,
He wouldn’t know what he paid anyway, he never looks at prices, which is surprising since he’s Jewish. Smile
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I gave the heads-up to my daughter that asparagus is $2.99 at Sobeys Urban Fresh, in TO this week.

She and I discovered the Adonis supermarket (Quebec chain) in Mississauga while Grandpa babysat and pup-sat. There's another one on Eglington E. I was impressed by the meats, produce, seafood, prepared food, bakery sections. Good prices, too!

Meatloaf, twice baked potatoes and roasted veggies for dins tonight. Lots of leftovers for tomorrow.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:37 pm
We're going out for Mexican food tonight, I also have a 4 day weekend so today is my Friday Cool

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 07:11 pm
@jcboy,
I'm going to make 15 egg rolls (I hope). I'm much better at burrito making, if I do say so myself, but I've now a mixed recipe plan for egg rolls - not re ingredients, I can do that, but frying or baking. Turns out there are pan frying maneuvers that don't take a cart load of oil. My last baked eggrolls were on the horrible side, for that coating they do in the packaged wrapper, gah. I may brush some of that off before putting in the fillings.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
have you tried making your own wrappers? seems like it should be simple

https://play.anghami.com/song/116415

__

in the alternative, make Chinese dumplings - same fillings - similar wrapping - different shape

http://steamykitchen.com/5849-chinese-boiled-pork-dumplings.html
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 07:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not ready to try to make these yet, but I finally found out the secret to soup dumplings!

http://steamykitchen.com/88-xiao-long-bao-shanghai-steamed-soup-dumplings.html

Quote:
Aromatic chicken, pork bone and cured ham broth set & cut into shimmering ribbons of translucent gelatin:

inside the dumpling!

I can do this Cool
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I did once, a few years ago and longer ago, back in the late seventies. I've enough going on.. (I say to myself). Call me the not great dim sum maker, some pleated elegant things that I made the dough for, probably shiu mai, were a bit wonky. Better to go to LA chinatowns.. I wasn't awful at making bao though.

I think it's the cornstarch coating on the premade wrappers that gets to me as not quite cooked, even when baked.. That probably disappears in 3 to 4" of very hot oil. Admittedly, I've only done this once in a while lately.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:31 pm
Yep, the recipe I'm using (in part, re the oil) is from steamy kitchen..
I have to reread the two, as I've been posting and reading and chopping and rearranging the freezer.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
By the way, I'm not sure I've gone on about all the foods and recipes I've learned from you, Beth, much less thanked you. We seem to be mutually attracted to dumplings and little pies from all over the place.

Which reminds me, gyoza..
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Agreed! we are both fans of little stuffed food pockets Smile

I like them as food and also as an item in the world of historical food studies.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:04 pm
@ehBeth,
dig this

https://aof.revues.org/

there's some good reading in there

https://aof.revues.org/1367

Quote:
Crispy in the french breakfast
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I finally found out the secret to soup dumplings!

Thanks!
0 Replies