Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:16 pm
@ehBeth,
agreed back.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Nuts, now I have to do this, and it's 9:18 pm.

Luckily the cut up stuff already cooked stuff is dry, will keep until domani.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:24 am
Tomorrow I’m going to make some soup to serve before dinner. I think I’ll try making this Curried Chicken and Rice Soup.

Quote:
1 bone-in chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved
2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
1/3 cup jasmine rice
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 lemon, cut into wedges

http://foodnetwork.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2009/4/14/2/FNM060109WN014_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg
jcboy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:54 pm
@jcboy,
I went to the market and found some nice steaks, so tonight we’re grilling them, baked potatoes with butter and sour cream and fresh broccoli.
jcboy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:40 pm
@jcboy,
I’m making the Curried Chicken and Rice Soup to have before dinner tonight and boy does it smell delicious. It’s nice and thick. I took some of the comments advice and put the rice through the food processor which made the soup nice and thick. The smell is wonderful!

http://oi63.tinypic.com/rlx6i0.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:51 pm
@jcboy,
it looks delicious - definitely one of my favourite combinations of flavours
jcboy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I just tried some of it, at first I was going to leave out the lemon wedge but squeeze a little on top and the flavor is wonderful!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:05 pm
@ehBeth,
agree - I copied the recipe

Tonight it's leftover but still good red potato(pre baked)/carm onion/celery/italian sausage soup - soon.
Am resting from burrito making now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:40 pm
@jcboy,
I've taken to adding lemon or lime (or orange) to almost every meat dish I make lately. The citrus brightens the flavours.

Lemon and chicken is a major combo in many types of cooking.
panzade

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:32 am
@ehBeth,
I go through 3 lemons a week...must be an aging thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:47 am
@panzade,
I go through 3 or 4 lemons at a time when I make Bugialli's Lemon Chicken - though I don't eat that all at once. I put the juice of a lemon with mineral water several times a week. Less often but still sometimes, with other foods. All of which leads me to say I'm still very glad I found the perfect lemon squeeze item at my local market; it's basically two metal semicircles held together, with a hand grip handle. One of the semi circles has a bunch of holes; easy to squeeze, handy dandy. It was made in Mexico, cost little.
panzade

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:57 am
@ossobuco,
Come on! Show us a picture or brand name!
You're such a tease
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 09:07 am
@panzade,
I tried to show it once before from online but I couldn't quite find a match; will look again, and show the closest thing to it.

Ah, this one is shown as $21. and is steel. Mine was something like $1.98. Mine is probably aluminum. It's sturdy though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B12F29AFL.jpg

The holes are in the bottom part.
jcboy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 09:09 am
@ossobuco,
We’re going out for sushi tonight.

Later I have to go to the market and figure out what I want to make for Sunday dinner. I’m running out of ideas.
Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 09:25 am
@ossobuco,
This time I looked under Mexican Lemon Squeezer -
this one is similar to mine, made out of cast aluminum, 5.99 on ebay
http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!B9yC)L!EWk~$(KGrHqV,!hkEzeweHy6yBM6we46Yjg~~0_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

this one, closer, 8.70 on ebay
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqF,!k8E9G8tTy)BBPmB+)w07w~~/s-l1600.jpg
panzade

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 09:30 am
@ossobuco,
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.I'm ordering one post haste.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:10 am
Time to make lemony lentils again (I'm out of dried beans until next week's big shopperoo).

Besides, I don't think I've ever shown this recipe on one of our food threads, and it's a good one.

I may or may not serve it tonight with leftover lemon chicken. Maybe just the chicken breast, good by itself given how it was cooked (the skin is wonderful), but no juicy sauce. There may be such a thing as too much lemon.

The recipe is from one of my old Sunset Magazine cut outs, now taped onto the back of my cupboard door.. the bottom of the recipe cut out says: visit Sunset.com/ethiopian.

Lemony Lentils
Even the lentil skeptics in our kitchen loved this bright, zingy stew.

Prep and cook time: 10 minutes prep, plus about 25 minutes cook time

Makes: 6 servings

2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups yellow or brown lentils, sorted for debris and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (I use my own pickled ginger)
Grated peel from one lemon (yellow part only)
1/4 cup lemon juice
salt and pepper
chopped cilantro and lemon wedges

1. Melt butter in a 3-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
2. Add lentils and stir to coat with butter, then add broth. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender but not mushy, 20 to 30 minutes. They will thicken as they cool.
3. Stir in ginger, lemon peel, juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges on the side.

Can't find it on Sunset.com now (that torn out recipe was from at least ten years ago). If anyone wants the particulars about nutritional value, I'll post them.

Hah, I know I tried these in burritos and they were good there too. Probably depends on what else is in the burritos. Mine vary widely.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:38 am
@ossobuco,
http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/entertaining/finger-food-feast

http://img1.sunset.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/image/2006/03/finger-spread-m.jpg

I'll have to try the lentils - it's a super-popular recipe.

(and who doesn't love injera?)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you! it didn't show up via my ordinary googling the site. You're such a smart link digger!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

By the way, I'm not sure I've gone on about all the foods and recipes I've learned from you, Beth, much less thanked you. We seem to be mutually attracted to dumplings and little pies from all over the place.

Which reminds me, gyoza..

What's not to love about dumplings?!
0 Replies