Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:33 pm
I made smoked duck breast hash for a late lunch.

I'm not sure when I'll be hungry again.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:49 pm
all the ingredients are ready for tomorrow

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/185788/korean-beef-short-rib-stew-galbi-jjim/

Galbi Jjim

we'll see

seems like beef stew with a slight twist

(another to compare with as I'm prepping tomorrow http://allrecipes.com/recipe/212697/stewed-korean-short-ribs-kalbi-jim/ )
glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh Damn, mr. G'bag removed the shells about 30 minutes ago. I just pilled them out the fridge and noticed the black vein was about 10 times wider than any shrimp I have ever peeled, I started to devein, but the black material is wide and gelatinous. Has anyone ever encountered this before?? I can't tell if they are ok to eat or not. Even if it's safe, the yuck factor has ruined both our appetites. What do the rest of you think?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm in a rest phase, having just taken my third attempt at making rye bread out of the oven. A few years ago, one attempt was ok, but nothing to crow about. The second one, a couple of months ago via another recipe, took forever to knead, was rich with dark rye, very tasty, if you could dig a knife into it. A gluten fail, I presume, as I didn't add any. I ended up tossing it, big clunk. This time the loaves are looking good, a third recipe.. very well explained by the writer, PJ Hamel. Good enough to eat, anyway.

Will save those for tomorrow and have more of my Pasta Mushroom thing later this evening, plus a salad.

Meantime, my immediate nextdoor neighbor came over with a basket of goodies for me. Hey! That was nice.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, the loaves are cooler and I sliced one of them and tasted it - great, by far the best yet and better than grocerystore stuff here. Nice texture too, and easy to cut. The secret ingredient was hamburger pickle juice for half the water (a suggestion in the recipe), and letting the rye grains soak.. Plus, I added all the caraway seeds..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 07:29 pm
@glitterbag,
personal thing, the vein.
It's delectable for Thais.
I never devein shrimp.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 08:06 pm
@panzade,
Cause you never eat it. Wink
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 09:48 pm
@panzade,
I seldom do, but I have never seen a black streak so wide down the spine. When I opened the shrimp, the vein was gelatinous. Ive been preparing shrimp for 45 years and I've never seen this before. Has anybody else ever seen this before. It wasn't like those skinny black skipped veins, it came out like a gummy black human vein. argh, tomorrow I have to go back to the seafood market and ask them what it means. It might be normal, but Ive probably cleaned 3 tons of shrimp for my family over my lifetime. I seldom remove the vein, but I have never seen anything like this, it has got to be an eighth of inch wide, no lie.
panzade

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:53 pm
@glitterbag,
I'd say those shrimp were full of ****.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:09 pm
@panzade,
Your probably right.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
Big breakthrough on the perfect Hollandaise sauce quest.

The secret is whisking the egg yolks and lemon juice in a stainless steel bowl and placing it on a small cooking pot with simmering water.It's not long after blending in the butter that the sauce thickens to a perfect consistency.
Tah Dah!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:55 pm
@ehBeth,
blahhhh the Galbi Jjim would be done

if I'd set the crockpot on high, or even low

noooooo

I set it on keep warm

let's see how long it will take now

Evil or Very Mad
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 04:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I sympathize.

Right now I'm midway through trying to make a decent Saag Paneer. I've made it before, eh and meh, have hopes for this one. New recipe, natch, actually two, since I'm making the paneer out of oven roasted ricotta, of all things. The saag is a mix of spinach and turnip greens. The spices are many. The garlic? 8 cloves. We'll see if that's too much, but I like garlic. Memories of Les Blank's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_Is_as_Good_as_Ten_Mothers

[youtube]Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers[/youtube]
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I saw too late that the youtube didn't show up -

Doh! must have been the garlic -

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
the short ribs are good

more ginger next time
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:46 pm
@ehBeth,
I love ginger so much, I like sushi restaurants where you can help yourself for more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
The saag paneer was oddly boring. Needed some ginger.. at the least.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 04:27 pm
feeling totally lazy so just bought more stewing beef to add to the veggies that are still in the crockpot

I did pick up some interesting

Quote:
With blush red wine-coloured skin and firm, pale yellow flesh, these velvety and versatile spuds are no small potatoes!

potatoes in the store - for the next crock pot adventure.

http://www.loblaws.ca/content/dam/lclonline/images/products/hir15/3342273.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
may they stay firm and nit get all mushy like those yella ones.

Tonite , for supper I made bacon and eggs (we have been on a sort of "cookie decontamination cleansing" since Christmas night.

I got some Weiss Bourbon bacon (its sweet but smoky good, and its thick cut)

I learned a new little trick from ALton Brown for eggs

1Get butter bubbking in a pn
2For each person break two eggs sunny-side up into separate shallow dessert dishes,
3As the butter begins bubbing, lt the eggs slide into the pan and turn the heat up to full
4cook in an open pan for about 30 seconds

5 after about 30 seconds put a lid on the frying pan and let it cook another 10 seconds
6 turn off heat and let the lid on for about a minute

The eggs will be done perfectly sunny-wside up with all the yolk nicely white and no snot on the top, yet the eggs dont look like they have cataracts

They just slide into the plate with a minimal of spatulation.

BAcon, eggs, and Mrs F was in charge of fried sliced red skin potatoes crispily done with a garlic pepper dusting

Supper was like breakfast and it was mahvelous

LApsang tea afterwardsand we were nicely gruntled
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:08 pm
Just took the pizza out, looking good, just right crust, nice rise to the dough, seems a good mix of stuff on it - provolone with a bit of pepper jack filling in areas with holes; balsamic honey roasted red onions, a few slices of prev cooked brussels sprouts, some fresh garlic, some jarred sweet red pepper bits, some formerly sauteed spicy mushroom pieces, some disks of 'montreal sausage'. No tomato this time.
0 Replies