Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 08:03 pm
Spent yesterday and half of today with my bff - recent acquaintance of ossobuco Smile

last night we went to an Indian buffet

http://www.yelp.com/biz/regency-restaurant-toronto?sort_by=date_desc

stayed til they started turning the lights out Laughing

a number of very good dishes, including some excellent mutton

my favourite was what they called Bengan Bhartha

which turned out to be

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/baingan-bharta-recipe-punjabi-baingan-bharta-recipe/

in effect it was a smoky, caramelized eggplant/onion dish

simply fantastic

I could eat that **** every day
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 08:13 pm
Lobster thermidor with the naked chefs smashed veggies.

http://www.food.com/recipe/jamie-olivers-mashed-root-vegetables-300814

Should be luxurious and hearty.
panzade

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
great recipe
thanx
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:25 pm
@panzade,
I like it best if you use a little parsnip. I know a lot of people don't like them, or think they don't, but try it once.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Me too, except I highly need some light. Oh, excuse me, splat..

saving that eggplant dish description..

who else do you know who puts spicy sauteed eggplant in burritos?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 02:11 am
@hawkeye10,
There was a local restaurant that served creamed parsnip.
It was fantastic.
I think they used real heavy cream.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 02:18 am
Decadent night here. Pork cutlets stuffed with cheese. On the side, though, I found a local supermarket that has started stocking green beans. Canned, but I'll take what I can get.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:46 pm
I had a real craving for carrots the other day.

Last night I cooked up about a pound and a half of fresh carrots, cut into coins. Cooked up a few handfuls of rice. Mixed it all up with some creamy thai sauce with lots of coconut milk in it. It was good last night.

Tonight, reheated with a little butter and some extra black pepper ... it was extraordinarily good.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:55 pm
@ehBeth,
watch you dont get too much vitamin A. People who eat Polar Bear liver have suffered acute toxic reactions from eating PB liver with its vitamin A. I dont know the carrot to polar bear liver vitamin A equivalent but Im sure someone does or can look it up.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:00 pm
@farmerman,
I've been a carrot freak for decades. As a toddler I refused to eat anything other than carrots for months. The soles of my feet and the palms of my hands turned orange. My mother (a paediatric nurse) had never seen anything like it and took me to the doc. He said as long as the whites of my eyes were white, I was fine.

None of me has turned orange since, so I think I'm good to go.

When I want/need carrots, I must have carrots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:15 pm
I'm not much of a carrot liker, raw, yes, roasted, once in a while, pickled, once in a while. I get my A other ways

Dinner was just homemade hummus on buttered rye toast, but lunch, that turned out well.

Lessee... some previously slo cooked pork roast, shredded. Some chicken broth. One small already baked potato, diced. Some chopped fresh celery. Some prev caramelized spanish onion. Some fresh garlic. Some previously roasted broccoli flowerets. Dab of turmeric. Big dab of chile powder. Some jalapeno snips. Some half and half.

I probably forgot something or things. Good slurping.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 04:13 am
Decadence. I had decadence for dinner tonight. Went back to that Chinese food joint that does Western-style fake Chinese food, instead of Korean-style fake Chinese food. Got something they call "Volcano" for take-out. As is de rigueur in these parts, they tried to warn me that it was too spicy for Western folk. Rolling Eyes Anyway, it had the usual stir-fried bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, Asian and Western onions, mushrooms, sesame seeds, etc, brought to a peak with a generous helping of respectable red chilies. All stir-fried in some sort of soy-sauce base. Oh, and 10 egg rolls. That sounds like a lot, but the ones they sell are about half the size of the ones you get in an American fake Chinese food joint. Still, I hate myself, but without regrets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:51 am
banquet burger

yum

fried up some Smithfield bacon
sliced up an avocado and some cherry tomatoes

Set cooked up some jumbo burgers

jumbo burgers on soft buns with bacon, avocado, tomato, sweet/hot mustard

paradise

<swoon>

for dessert I had pizza Ritz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:51 am
dup
vonny

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 09:43 am
@ehBeth,
Toasted panini with turkey rashers, mustard, and a side salad.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 09:54 am
@vonny,
Pasta shells with a white sauce of butter, half and half, cooked down, and mushrooms sauteed with s & p, turmeric, and chile powder. A glass of Samuel Adams Winter Lager.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds like it may go well with wine too!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 03:18 pm
Sad to report my search for a prime rib roast ended up with a couple of door-stops weighing about nine lbs each. I couldn't afford the $70 price tag so I opted for a NY strip loin roast.(never seen one before)

Peel and Eat shrimp for starters followed by the roast and
Yorksy puddin' and asparagus with Hollandaise sauce.

Oh, and Mango sorbet to finish things.

Oh and a cappucino and Cuban cigar.

Is that it?
Merry Christmas friends.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
@panzade,
<grins>
glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Tonight I'm preparing Shrimp and wild mushrooms in a butter/broth sauce. Sometimes I add a little cream and I always add a little sherry. I serve this over rice and I think I will also prepare baby carrots in a wine/dill/butter sauce. Hey it's Christmas, we can all the butter we want.